OCCRA
Go to Post know what else would be great? with each new rep point you get 10 airline miles on your Visa or MasterCard - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Adam Reed ~ FIRST Volunteer
AKA: Adam Reed
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
A_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to behold
pic: 6 inch wheel design

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:55 PM
FRC #2531

Rookie Year: 2007
Edoc'sil has a spectacular aura aboutEdoc'sil has a spectacular aura about
Re: pic: 6 inch wheel design

Any thoughts on how you would machine that? The angles look a bit tricky, almost like something you would have to mold out of plastic.
A narrow and a tall one.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
CAD Leader
AKA: Alec Wagner
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2005
548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of

1.3 pounds seems a little heavy. I designed some simple 6inchers without any sprocket mounts that weighed in at around .65 pounds. Also, your exterior wall looks a little thick, how thick is it?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:13 PM
CAD God
AKA: Mike Mellott
FRC #3193 (Falco Tech), FRC #48 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

M. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc'sil View Post
Any thoughts on how you would machine that? The angles look a bit tricky, almost like something you would have to mold out of plastic.
Looks like you could machine the front face of the 3 closest "spokes" and the back side of the other three in one pass. Flip it over and repeat the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 548swimmer View Post
1.3 pounds seems a little heavy. I designed some simple 6inchers without any sprocket mounts that weighed in at around .65 pounds. Also, your exterior wall looks a little thick, how thick is it?
The outer wall looks like it's recessed for the tread. Does your weight include the tread material, or is it just the wheel?

I like the wider tread. Very nice, Adam!

Coming home again...and bringing FRC with me!!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:22 PM
CAD Leader
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of548swimmer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Mellott View Post
Looks like you could machine the front face of the 3 closest "spokes" and the back side of the other three in one pass. Flip it over and repeat the process.

The outer wall looks like it's recessed for the tread. Does your weight include the tread material, or is it just the wheel?

I like the wider tread. Very nice, Adam!
Just the wheel, but since it's just for a prototype CAD I extruded where the tread would be, so it should be about the same weight.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:23 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
Jamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to all

Pretty neat.

For the "free" wheel, if the hub is wider than the rim, you can attach a flat sprocket directly to the (nicely integrated) bolt pattern on the wheel without an extra spacer. I can't tell from the picture if it's already like that.

2011-13 VEX World Championship...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:39 AM
mercernary machinist
AKA: Taylor
FRC #0973 (most with 973)
Team Role: Mechanical

Borisdamole is just really niceBorisdamole is just really niceBorisdamole is just really niceBorisdamole is just really niceBorisdamole is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Borisdamole

Quote:
no way.... it would be machinable, you would just have to do 2 milling operations.... it would require flipping the wheel over to machine the back half.....

the trick with that is getting the orientation correct when you flip it, but it would not be too bad...

looks like a fun project for some students on your team to machine!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
FRC #2531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borisdamole View Post
no way.... it would be machinable, you would just have to do 2 milling operations.... it would require flipping the wheel over to machine the back half.....

the trick with that is getting the orientation correct when you flip it, but it would not be too bad...

looks like a fun project for some students on your team to machine!
It doesn't look like the spokes are flat, but it may just be distortion from the render.
A narrow and a tall one.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
CAD Leader
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

Quote:
It doesn't look like the spokes are flat, but it may just be distortion from the render.
You could still machine them, you'd just need to have the z-axis be computer controlled as well.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
FRC #2531

Not many schools have a 3 axis cnc with all axis computer controlled. maybe he does, but even still the part wouldn't come out like that, there would be a flat spot from where the taper on the spokes trailed off from the machining bit.
A narrow and a tall one.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:32 PM

A_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 548swimmer View Post
1.3 lbs may seem a bit heavy, but with no realistic numbers to run through the ANSYS FEA I have designed it to be overly robust with a 'standard' .25x.25 square cross section for each spoke. Anyone want to help me out on getting some realistic benchmarks for moment loading, side loads and radial loads.

As for the exterior wall, it is only 3/16" thick, the extra material on the sidewalls are only 1/8" thick and are there to add side support for the treads to take some wear off of the rivets.

Quote:
Quote:
The machining process on the major spokes would use a Ball-Nose end mill for all of the major cuts. The first cut(s) would be a 1/4" deep pocket that creates the fillets to the outer wall and to the hub, the front face of the spokes would be flat as the material is taken out between the two fillets. The second series of cuts would use the same mill stopping at the backside of the rear spokes creating the same fillets. As the wheel is flipped and the machining process is repeated the square edges of the spokes and the fillets would be defined on the backside of the front spokes.

The smaller triangles and hub weight savings could be done with any end mill that can plunge deep enough to clear out all material left behind by the fillets on the backside of the spokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kalb View Post
Pretty neat.

For the "free" wheel, if the hub is wider than the rim, you can attach a flat sprocket directly to the (nicely integrated) bolt pattern on the wheel without an extra spacer. I can't tell from the picture if it's already like that.
No the hub is planar with the rest of the wheel on both sides currently. I will take that into consideration as a way to avoid adding extra spacers.

Thank you all for the comments and question. Keep 'em coming.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:13 PM
FRC #2531

Ok, what high school a ball milling bit? If anyone responds yes I will apply to be a super senior at your school. To me it just seems that it would be easier to design it a bit simpler so in could be made easily inhouse.

anyhow my 2 cents
A narrow and a tall one.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, what high school a ball milling bit? If anyone responds yes I will apply to be a super senior at your school. To me it just seems that it would be easier to design it a bit simpler so in could be made easily inhouse.

anyhow my 2 cents
You don't need a high end bit to cut aluminum, with the proper feed speeds and such you could use a 'cheap' bit to do the job
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
iR3 Creative
AKA: Dan Richardson
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Dan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDan Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

I like the wide tread design, the offset spokes give it a nifty appeal.

Quote:

anyhow my 2 cents
Many schools do not have a 3 axis cnc mill. Many teams have at least 1 sponsors who has a 3 axis cnc mill.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM
CAD Leader
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Reed View Post
1.3 lbs may seem a bit heavy, but with no realistic numbers to run through the ANSYS FEA I have designed it to be overly robust with a 'standard' .25x.25 square cross section for each spoke. Anyone want to help me out on getting some realistic benchmarks for moment loading, side loads and radial loads.
It may not be the most accurate method, but I just place a fixed constraint on the hole for the shaft and apply 300lbf to the rim.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: