OCCRA
Go to Post We are not here to build robots, or to win a contest, or to travel to cool places or to bring home trophies. we are here to see what a career in engineering and science is like; anything else that happens along the way is frosting on the cake - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
FRC #0339

Rookie Year: 2007
FRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant future
KoP component that acts as a double throw switch

My team is building a digital circuit (more details to come later ), and one of the "cool" factors of the project is that we want to only use items that are in, or have been in, the FRC KoP. In one part of the circuit we need some double throw switches (e.g. to switch a connection between 12 V and ground). Does anyone know of a current or previous KoP component that can act as a double throw switch?

The limit switches of recent years would work, but we don't have enough of those. The limit switches from previous years are only single pole. We also tried out the red light sensors, but those also appear to be single pole.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: KoP component that acts as a double throw switch

How much current?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM
FRC #0339

FRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lall View Post
How much current?
Enough to trigger the control coil of a Spike relay.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute

A Spike needs 5v, not 12v, for the trigger input.
You can get that from the Digital Sidecar or the Camera supply on the PD board.

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 04:05 PM
FRC #0339

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
A Spike needs 5v, not 12v, for the trigger input.
You can get that from the Digital Sidecar or the Camera supply on the PD board.
I guess I should explain more. We're using the Spike relays to build logic gates, connecting the outputs of some relays to the control inputs of others (fortunately, they work at 12 V as well as 5 V). In the end, it will be a four-bit adding machine constructed of 24 Spike relays (learning about how digital circuits work ), the result of which will be displayed using the fluorescent green camera lights from 2007.

We also need something to act as a user input to the circuit. The user needs to be able to switch this input between 12 V (a logical 1) and 0 V (a logical 0). Since we've managed to use only KoP components up to this point, I'm wondering if we can find another KoP component to do this job, just for the fun of making a complete computational circuit out of nothing but KoP components. The cRIO, sidecar, and power distribution system aren't involved at all here.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by FRC4ME : 05-08-2010 at 04:07 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 04:25 PM
>e, 7h3 5up3rn47ur4l
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 2009
PAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC4ME View Post
I guess I should explain more. We're using the Spike relays to build logic gates, connecting the outputs of some relays to the control inputs of others (fortunately, they work at 12 V as well as 5 V). In the end, it will be a four-bit adding machine constructed of 24 Spike relays (learning about how digital circuits work ), the result of which will be displayed using the fluorescent green camera lights from 2007.

We also need something to act as a user input to the circuit. The user needs to be able to switch this input between 12 V (a logical 1) and 0 V (a logical 0). Since we've managed to use only KoP components up to this point, I'm wondering if we can find another KoP component to do this job, just for the fun of making a complete computational circuit out of nothing but KoP components. The cRIO, sidecar, and power distribution system aren't involved at all here.

Thanks for the help.

put the servo jumpers from the digital sidecar on pwm cables to activate the coils, or use some other, similar kop part (such as a breakers on the pd board,)
The pd board could be used as a switch board, with out the crio or the sidecar. The breakers are just completing the circuits
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

FRC,
You should do some investigation into pullup resistors. The input circuit of the Spike is a opto isolator so a pullup to 5 volts (or 12) would set the relay in one direction and a short to the common terminal would turn off the opto isolator and set the Spike for the other direction.
www.wildstang.org
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

To amplify on Al's remarks: You do not need a double-pole switch to switch between 0 and 1 (if that is your intent): A single pole will do fine.

To wire this, simply connect one side of the switch to ground and the other side to the spike input. Also on the other side connect a 10,000 Ohm resistor (1/8 or 1/4 watt would be fine) to your voltage source (5V if you want to control a spike).

When the switch is closed the spike sees ground (as you would expect). The minimal current flowing through the "pull up" resistor will not affect this. When the switch is opened, the voltage source will appear on the 'spike' side of the switch. This happens because the input resistance (impedance, actually) of the spike is several orders of magnitude greater than 10,000 Ohms.

This is how these things are done. Good luck.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 02:53 AM
FRC #0339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
FRC,
You should do some investigation into pullup resistors. The input circuit of the Spike is a opto isolator so a pullup to 5 volts (or 12) would set the relay in one direction and a short to the common terminal would turn off the opto isolator and set the Spike for the other direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
To amplify on Al's remarks: You do not need a double-pole switch to switch between 0 and 1 (if that is your intent): A single pole will do fine.

To wire this, simply connect one side of the switch to ground and the other side to the spike input. Also on the other side connect a 10,000 Ohm resistor (1/8 or 1/4 watt would be fine) to your voltage source (5V if you want to control a spike).

When the switch is closed the spike sees ground (as you would expect). The minimal current flowing through the "pull up" resistor will not affect this. When the switch is opened, the voltage source will appear on the 'spike' side of the switch. This happens because the input resistance (impedance, actually) of the spike is several orders of magnitude greater than 10,000 Ohms.

This is how these things are done. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. This makes me think of using the red light sensors - another component we have far too many of - to read "punch cards" of sorts containing the input values. I assume the same pull-up configuration would have no problems working with an NPN transistor triggered by a sensor, right?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, that should work fine. If not, investigate using a pull-down resistor instead. While this is not considered "good practice", under carefully defined conditions it will be fine.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: