OCCRA
Go to Post "If all else fails, use a bigger hammer" - Steve Florence - Logan Byers [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen Rourke, 1959-2010, RIP

It is with extreme sadness that I have to the report the sudden passing of Stephen Rourke. Steve was the founding mentor of Team 1114 and executive sponsor for Teams 1114, 1503 and 1680. It was through Steve's vision and efforts that Simbotics' became the team that we are today and that robotics has spread throughout the Niagara Region of Ontario. When Steve was first introduced to FIRST, robotics education barely existed in the area. Through his vision and execution, every elementary school and high school in the school board now has a robotics kit.

Steve constantly pushed 1114 to greater levels, never being satisfied with being merely good, but always striving for perfection. His determination was passed onto every team member, making us stronger people in the process.

He was a mentor not only to all our students, but especially to the other mentors. He was always teaching and guiding us, working to make sure we maximized our potential. Personally, he was a role model and a father figure. He gave me countless opportunities, and I know that I would not be the person I am today if not for his influence in my life. I am eternally grateful to have known him.

Steve was the recipient of the ChiefDelphi UFH award in 2005 and was an active contributor on these forums. He will be missed not only by the Simbot Family and the teams of the Niagara Region, but by the entire FIRST community

For more information, please visit: http://dartefuneralhome.frontrunnerp...5&LinkId=1 03

Rest in peace, Steve.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stephen Rourke, 1959-2010, RIP

This is one of my favourite photos of Steve, (to the right of Tom Stephens who is wearing the suit) showing his unbridled joy after we won the 2008 Championship Event.

"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

My condolences to Stephen's family and friends, team 1114, and the Niagara Region FIRST teams.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Building robots since 1995
FRC #4914

Rookie Year: 2002
Vince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Vince lau

My condolences go out to Stephen's family and friends and to the Simbots and the Niagara FIRST family, he was a true role model, he will be greatly missed in FIRST
2010 - Waterloo Rookie inspiration and Highest Rookie Seed, #2 Alliance Captain, Semi-finalists.
2011 - Waterloo Finalist thanks 1310 and 610
2014 - imagery and rookie allstar award gtr west
2014 - rookie inspiration and winners with 188 and 610 north bay
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I don't even know what to say... I got to meet Steve on a number of occasions and this is a major loss. What a great man who did great things. 1114, my heart goes out to all of you tonight.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

I met Steve for the first time in Atlanta, 2007 and had already known what a difference maker he was at that time. Karthik and I were serving on the FVC GDC together and I remember Karthik being really excited to introduce Steve and I. It was field side on DaVinci and I remember it like it was yesterday. I knew right then that I had just met one of the real giant difference-makers in FIRST and his humble and friendly style is something we all could learn from.

Steve Rourke made a strong impression with me in the few minutes I had to interact with him on two total occasions in my life. It's certainly a sad day for me, and I can't imagine how hard this must be for all in his family and the Niagara FIRST and GM FIRST families.

Best wishes to all who knew Steve in this most difficult of times.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.

Last edited by Rich Kressly : 05-10-2010 at 05:18 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Big new things, with some purple.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

The day I met Mr. Rourke, I knew I met someone special. He was the biggest pushing factor behind the entire NiagaraFIRST organization, and each and every team that came out of it, from FLL to FRC. Every student that came out of this program had this opportunity because of his efforts and his mentorship.

He is the reason why I am the person I am today. Without him, I would never have heard of FIRST or it's ideals.

I will never forget that.

I had the pleasure of presenting Mr. Rourke with a "Thank You" award last year. I remember the look in his eyes as clear as day; It was sincere, loving, passionate and caring.

He did some amazing things for me, my teammates, and everything he came into contact with.

My heart goes out to the Rourke family, and everyone else that had the pleasure to meet him. He was truly someone special.

Rest in peace Steve.

-Nick
(2012-???): Member, VEXU NAR, North American Robotics
(2014-???): Mentor, CyberTooth

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:39 PM
AKA: Agstya Kaul
FRC #4039 (MakeShift Robotics)

AKaul is a splendid one to beholdAKaul is a splendid one to beholdAKaul is a splendid one to beholdAKaul is a splendid one to beholdAKaul is a splendid one to beholdAKaul is a splendid one to beholdAKaul is a splendid one to behold

Team 1241 sends their condolences to Stephen's family and friends and to 1114 and all the Niagara Region Teams who were affected by this tragic loss. Rest in Peace.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Steve was a good friend and mentor to me.
I was shocked by the new of his passing, and deeply saddened by this incredible loss. I value so much the talks we've had over the years and can't bear to think that these are over...

I'm at a total blank for words. I owe Steve so much. We ALL owe Steve so much.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
FRC #0016 (Bomb Squad)

Meredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences and prayers from all the Novaks - so sorry.

FIRST Hall of Fame
Kicking the Tires and Lighting the Fires since 1996
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

This is a tremendous loss, my heart goes out to all his family.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2010, 05:56 AM
My brain hirts.
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0326 (Xtreme Eagles / Romulus High School / General Motors)

Rookie Year: 2001
Mr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mr.G

I can't believe the feeling of emptiness in my heart. I only met Steve a couple times, but in those couple times I could see what a great person his was. What he did for FIRST community is immeasurable. I can't put into words what an inspiration he was to all of us, and you didnít have to have met him to feel it. Very sad.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
AKA: Steven Greco
FRC #2079
Team Role: Mechanical

sgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond repute

On behalf of 2079, I send out my condolences to Mr. Rourke's family and all of those affected by his loss.

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Rourke, I have heard of what a wonderful man he was and of his tremendous impact on Niagra FIRST and FIRST in general.

RIP
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Mr MOE's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
MOE 365 Team Coordinator
AKA: John Larock
None #0365 (Miracle Workerz)

Rookie Year: 2000
Mr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond repute

MOE 365 has Stephen, his family, and the 1114 family in our thoughts and prayers.

MOE Celebrates 15 Years in FIRST this season!
2007 CMP Chairmans Award - thanks to all MOEboteers, past and present!

2014 MOE Fun Build Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwRDj...ature=youtu.be
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Karthik,
Please send along our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and all the great people in Niagara First. He will be sorely missed.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: