Go to Post We are engineers after all so I say "Bring on the technology"!:yikes: - emersont49 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Safety!!!!
AKA: Rick
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2008
RMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RMS11
pic: 4in Wheel CAD

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 4in Wheel CAD

Looks really nice! I may have to make a sheet metal wheel now...

Anybody know how well this thing would hold up in use?

Do you have a picture without the sprocket on there?

Email - rionatkinson@gmail.com
Skype - Rion.Atkinson
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (LRT-UVR Grasshoppers #95)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Press in threaded inserts wouldn't be easy to assemble IMO, and it seems to me that they would spin in the delrin as the bolts are tightened up. It also looks like you have a lot of fasteners not in the model, which will add on a bit of weight.

Maybe think about how you can make the sprocket integral to the structure of the wheel. I would skip on delrin as a wheel material entirely.

What sort of fabrication capabilities are available to you? Perhaps there is a way to take advantage of something unconventional.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

This design is similar in many ways to one of our wheel design revisions. Take a look here to see what I mean:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31102
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31104
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31105

We have been happy with our .190" thick side plates that we pocket for a press fit to align everything. You may want to consider this.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

RMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to behold

Why do you shy away from delrin? This year, we found it easy to machine. We made our wheels out of it this year. As for the threaded inserts, how would you recommend attaching the side plates instead? I was looking for a way to avoid bolting all the way through, adding much unnecessary weight. This year we used standoffs, but that was expensive. Aluminum bolts would make it even lighter, if we could find a good option. I do like the idea of making the sprocket have more of a structural use.

Here is a picture without the sprocket attached:

Peter, could you elaborate on how this press fit worked? It sounds like a great idea and a way to avoid welding with aluminum. The tube you mentioned, did you just buy an aluminum tube from mcmaster? How were the tolerances? How did you keep the inside part from slipping?

2009 Peachtree Regional Champs
2009 Palmetto Regional Champs
2008 Peachtree Rookie All Star and Rookie Highest Seed
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Why not tap the delrin and put short screws on each side? Would that make any sense?
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:41 PM
AKA: Rahil Mehta
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2007
rahilm has a spectacular aura aboutrahilm has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to rahilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Why not tap the delrin and put short screws on each side? Would that make any sense?
I would guess its because it would be too easy to strip the treads?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:54 PM
AKA: Isaak
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Hawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to all

delrin doesn't handle threads well, if i were doing that i would just get a nice bolt and run it through the whole thing, another way to do it would be rivets, but that would be a pain.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM
CAD God
AKA: Mike Mellott
FRC #3193 (Falco Tech), FRC #48 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

M. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud of

Are there spacers between the sprockets and outer plates? I can't tell and didn't want to assume. You'll definitely need these if they're not already there.

While the design looks great, it's going to be difficult to get those sharp corners in the plate. Are these being cut out with a water jet? If not, you may need to add blends to the design for your cutter.

Also, since total price is a design factor, with a 4" dia. x 1" thick disc of Delrin costing between $15-$20, are you really saving money?

Coming home again...and bringing FRC with me!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:07 AM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Mellott View Post
A
While the design looks great, it's going to be difficult to get those sharp corners in the plate. Are these being cut out with a water jet? If not, you may need to add blends to the design for your cutter.

Also, since total price is a design factor, with a 4" dia. x 1" thick disc of Delrin costing between $15-$20, are you really saving money?
A waterjet isn't needed, a laser would work as well. Where did you get $15-20 bucks pricing for delrin that size? I checked McMaster which is usually more expensive than local places.

www.mcmaster.com -> 8497K533

Pretty sure that is what he wanted and it comes out to $66 a foot and about $5.50 per inch. Excluding tax and shipping.

-RC
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:46 AM
CAD God
AKA: Mike Mellott
FRC #3193 (Falco Tech), FRC #48 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

M. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud ofM. Mellott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. View Post
A waterjet isn't needed, a laser would work as well. Where did you get $15-20 bucks pricing for delrin that size? I checked McMaster which is usually more expensive than local places.

www.mcmaster.com -> 8497K533

Pretty sure that is what he wanted and it comes out to $66 a foot and about $5.50 per inch. Excluding tax and shipping.

-RC
Yes, you're right, a laser cutter could work, but since they're not very common, lasers didn't even cross my mind. Also, I tend to avoid sharp points in cutouts as they concentrate stress (thought they probably won't be an issue here).

I checked McMaster as well for my prices (p/n 99866K22 - $18.84 for a 1" thick piece). I assumed nothing with what he wanted to do, hence I pointed out the material cost and my question. Of course, you'll need more than 1" of material if you're going to slice it from a larger rod (loosing the blade thickness) then making sure both faces are properly squared off. You are correct that it will be cheaper than $15-$20 per wheel if he gets a foot or more, but the question is still valid.

Coming home again...and bringing FRC with me!!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (LRT-UVR Grasshoppers #95)

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

4" diameter 6061 is a little over $5/inch on McMaster. Making a 1-piece wheel will be the lightest, simplest option. No threaded inserts, no delrin, no multi-piece wheels, no big bolts.

If you were to keep within the budget of $15-$20/wheel you could just about use 2024 or 7075 aluminum for your wheel.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS11 View Post
Peter, could you elaborate on how this press fit worked? It sounds like a great idea and a way to avoid welding with aluminum. The tube you mentioned, did you just buy an aluminum tube from mcmaster? How were the tolerances? How did you keep the inside part from slipping?
We bought 4" outer diameter 1/8" wall tubing from McMaster, then when it arrived we measured the actual OD. We then made our machine program that put the relief cut in the plates .002" over that OD, and the tube essentially presses into the plates giving good concentric alignment of all pieces. We actually weld the plates to the tube in our case, but the alignment is the important part.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

Yes, we would use a plasma cutter to cut the outside plates and a mill to cut the inside plastic. We dont have the machining capabilities to make a wheel from a block of aluminum, would take over 4 hours per wheel probably. For this design, we can make each wheel for about $25-30. This is significantly less than our wheels from this year. If we had the ability to weld, we would probably do something more like what Peter mentioned above. We would actually make these out of a rectangular block of delrin. We do not have access to a lathe currently, or else I would like to at least try a 1 piece wheel. And yes, the spacer is considered in the weight. It is made of 1/4" aluminum.

2009 Peachtree Regional Champs
2009 Palmetto Regional Champs
2008 Peachtree Rookie All Star and Rookie Highest Seed
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
FunYun
AKA: Andrew Yun
FRC #2415

Rookie Year: 2004
Andrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud of

what RMS means is he spent $1000 on wheel material last season HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/35717?

so he is finding ways to make custom wheels cheaper. $30 sounds great to me at this point. Also, there are some cheaper off the shelf wheels out there but we have had bad luck with them. Hopefully we can get a few different wheels designed this summer and try em out!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: