OCCRA
Go to Post School cannot teach everything you need to know so they teach you how to learn. - kstl99 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM
AKA: Kris
FRC #4392 (Decievers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
kgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to behold
pic: Enigma Wheel

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Enigma Wheel

Wow... It's been awhile since I've been on here... Finally something I'm semi qualified to speak about. Semi.

First off, the CAD looks very nice. And the wheel is a decent design, except for the loop on the end of the spokes. It is very likely to snap there. And the part after it contacts the wheel is just adding weight.

Any chance of a different view angle? (If you have it on a picasa or photobucket, something like that?)
How wide is the wheel?
What's the width of the spokes? The depth?
Whats the bore diameter?

-Rion

Email - rionatkinson@gmail.com
Skype - Rion.Atkinson
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Famous View Post
And the wheel is a decent design, except for the loop on the end of the spokes. It is very likely to snap there. And the part after it contacts the wheel is just adding weight.
I dunno about their actual usage plan for the wheel is for, but I'm guessing that it'd be for more show then function.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM
AKA: Isaak
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2003
Hawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to all

i don't think the spokes will break, if the center bore is .5 in then those spokes are pretty thick. if you are planning to use these in a 6wd robot then i think it should be fine, as longs as there are no bumps in next years game.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

Looks like fun!

If you have an experienced mechanical mentor available, ask her to show you how to do a "Finite Element Analysis" or to simulate what types of stresses will develop when you load it. This design should show some very interesting and informing results.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:26 PM
5th Gear Developer & Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
VRC #0042 (Mostly Harmless)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVanWyk View Post
Looks like fun!

If you have an experienced mechanical mentor available, ask her to show you how to do a "Finite Element Analysis" or to simulate what types of stresses will develop when you load it. This design should show some very interesting and informing results.
Do what Eric suggests to analyze a new design that ignores embedding question marks or other decorations into the wheel. Just make the result a strong, light wheel.

Then... create a light, snap-on decorative hubcap that fits onto that wheel and adds only trivial weight to the completed assembly. The hubcap's wow-factor is limited only by your imagination (and the audiences' ability to appreciate fine art ).
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:40 PM
FRC #4392 (Decievers)

kgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Wow... It's been awhile since I've been on here... Finally something I'm semi qualified to speak about. Semi.

First off, the CAD looks very nice. And the wheel is a decent design, except for the loop on the end of the spokes. It is very likely to snap there. And the part after it contacts the wheel is just adding weight.

Any chance of a different view angle? (If you have it on a picasa or photobucket, something like that?)
How wide is the wheel?
What's the width of the spokes? The depth?
Whats the bore diameter?

-Rion

I'll get some other views of it. As I said my computer wasn't cooperating with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTran View Post
I dunno about their actual usage plan for the wheel is for, but I'm guessing that it'd be for more show then function.
Yup, I wasn't planning on anything with these wheels except to learn a little about CAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVanWyk View Post
Looks like fun!

We have one mentor that does a lot of 2D CAD, I don't know how much 3D CAD he does. We have another College Student that took a class in it so I'll ask both of them when we start meeting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
Do what Eric suggests to analyze a new design that ignores embedding question marks or other decorations into the wheel. Just make the result a strong, light wheel.

Then... create a light, snap-on decorative hubcap that fits onto that wheel and adds only trivial weight to the completed assembly. The hubcap's wow-factor is limited only by your imagination (and the audiences' ability to appreciate fine art ).
I'll look into doing something like that.

Edit:
Wheel is 1.5in deep, 6in wide
Spokes are .5in deep, .25in wide
Any other measurements you would like?

Last edited by kgzak : 08-08-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Computer was Cooperating
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I think it would be more reasonable, if you wanted the question marks, to make fairly large spokes and use the question mark shape as a lightening pattern.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
FRC #4392 (Decievers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I think it would be more reasonable, if you wanted the question marks, to make fairly large spokes and use the question mark shape as a lightening pattern.
I was going to try that next

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Another nitpick: You're going to need to cut out a groove for the bearings in your wheel.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgzak View Post
Yup, I wasn't planning on anything with these wheels except to learn a little about CAD.
It's always good to start with CAD early by playing around with it and doing small projects. It makes it a lot easier come build season.

Quote:
Wheel is 1.5in deep, 6in wide
Spokes are .5in deep, .25in wide
Any other measurements you would like?
Okay, yeah those spokes wont break at that size. Though when you say that the wheel is 6in wide I assume you mean the diameter is 6 inches?

Are you running Inventor? I haven't been able to get a hold of Solidworks or Inventor recently so I can't remember which one has the 3 axis in the bottom that looks like that.

New picture edit: I don't know if the spokes have enough contact with the wheel. I also think you may be ale to pull weight out of the hub there.

Skype - Rion.Atkinson

Last edited by Rion Atkinson : 08-08-2010 at 07:40 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
FRC #4392 (Decievers)

Quote:
It's always good to start with CAD early by playing around with it and doing small projects. It makes it a lot easier come build season.

Okay, yeah those spokes wont break at that size. Though when you say that the wheel is 6in wide I assume you mean the diameter is 6 inches?

Are you running Inventor? I haven't been able to get a hold of Solidworks or Inventor recently so I can't remember which one has the 3 axis in the bottom that looks like that.

New picture edit: I don't know if the spokes have enough contact with the wheel. I also think you may be ale to pull weight out of the hub there.
I was planning on pulling weight out of the hub. I have a new design that I will be posting soon. It's what Chris is me was suggesting.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:48 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgzak View Post
I was planning on pulling weight out of the hub. I have a new design that I will be posting soon. It's what Chris is me was suggesting.
I would also advise putting a groove on the outside part of the wheel. It will keep the tread from sliding to one side or the other.

Skype - Rion.Atkinson
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Blake on this one. There are options to make it very aesthetically pleasing using a hub cab, including annodizing the wheel and the decoration different colors. Even doing this to an AM Plaction wheel and no plate annodization could be 'pretty'.

Of course the drive train needs to be designed such that the wheels can be seen to begin with, otherwise wheel aesthetics are for naught. In 2008 & 2009 aesthetic wheel design proved futile due to bumper rules, which is another thing to keep in mind during build season.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
I'm with Blake on this one. There are options to make it very aesthetically pleasing using a hub cab, including annodizing the wheel and the decoration different colors. Even doing this to an AM Plaction wheel and no plate annodization could be 'pretty'.

I'm with you guys as well.

However, it seems he is doing this as an exercise in CAD, which is perfectly fine by me. Its nice to design something you are familiar with to start (like an FRC wheel of sorts).

Keep up the good work, and keep trying new things.

Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: