OCCRA
Go to Post I did everything in high school... but only FIRST allowed me to be me. - treffk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm the original L337 N1nj4!
AKA: Jason
FRC #3195 (RoboNinjas)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
3195mentor has a spectacular aura about3195mentor has a spectacular aura about3195mentor has a spectacular aura about
How to keep new students entertained?

I am the lead mentor / Instructor for the RoboNinjas, team 3195. This is only my second year of running this program for the school and would like the input of veteran team members, as well as fellow mentors and instructors on this subject:

- How do you keep your students entertained during the pre-season?
Mind you, this is only our second year so we do not have that much in the way of funding, or in the way of previous robots to let the new students build with. What do you suggest as activities to get them involved with robotics and keep them actively engaged (aka - NOT BORED!)

Thanks,

Jason
Lead Mentor of Team 3195
  • "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."
  • "Be nice to geeks when you're in school, you might end-up working for one when you grow-up."
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me
Re: How to keep new students entertained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3195mentor View Post
Mind you, this is only our second year so we do not have that much in the way of funding, or in the way of previous robots to let the new students build with.
I'd start with fundraising. There are many fundraisers that can do double duty as fun activities to engage new and old students while earning you money or sponsorship. Public demonstrations for sponsors, selling concessions at a sports game, and "drive the robot" demos are all cool events that can be really fun for new students. One of my first memories on 1714 was letting some younger kids drive a little robot at a Vex demo, and it was definitely really fun and engaging to help other kids play with robots. From there, you should be able to get enough funding to work on a little pre season project.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Entertained is not the word you want. Enthused, active, productive, inspired - try those on for size.

I disagree somewhat with Chris on fundraising. New students who don't know much about the program won't be good ambassadors for your team in seeking funding. When the businessman or -woman being approached asks, "What good things has your team accomplished?", you'd better have a good answer! They can be involved in some outreach efforts, but you certainly need to have experienced students on hand to answer questions.

Education is a better pre-season approach. Certify the new students on the use of power tools. Teach one or two how the robot is programmed, how the sensors work. Explain drive train options - this works really well if you have 2 or 3 old robots to compare/contrast.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:53 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2008
NickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond repute

VEX and FRC Workshops.

VEX is a great program and allows students to build robots with little to no experience coming in. Our vex team has no mentors and is completely student-run, allowing the students to learn through discovery and experimentation.

FRC workshops are a great way to get people trained for the busy build season. Try to make the workshops as interactive as possible in order to keep students interested.

Note: these are only the robot-related tasks that can happen in the pre-season. Other tasks such as outreach, graphic design, animation, publication-writing, finance planning, teambuilding, etc. are extremely important as well and the pre-season is a great time to get started on them.

Last edited by NickE : 08-15-2010 at 04:55 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
Entertained is not the word you want. Enthused, active, productive, inspired - try those on for size.
Engaged is a good word, too.

Have a MOE scavenger hunt. Assign the MOE website for pre-season reading - with a deadline. Have them look at/investigate different sections, including the MOE Program and MOEmentum sections, for ideas/thoughts/suggestions as to a fun project or two that they would like to do. It is a way for new-ish mentors and teams to explore the possibilities of infinity and beyond.

Check out other websites of teams that you admire/respect and see if they offer any suggestions on what to do with off season and pre-season. MOE has one of the best, in my opinion. They have developed a very strong program and continue to strive for excellence in ways from which others can benefit.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 08-15-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: infinity and beyond
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Training and fundraising usually bring teams together pretty well in the off-seasons. Both definitely need to happen, so why not use both activities to keep kids engaged? Instead of, say, having kids go out and sell HexBugs to their friends and family on their own, get them to bake things and sell them at a local market, where they can interact with each other. New recruits will learn about the team very quickly when people ask about the team, and the veteran students respond with similar information each time. And since you're still a pretty new team, there isn't any extensive history that the new students would need to know in order to explain what the team has done.

I would also suggest including some generally fun events to bring the team together; ones that have nothing to do with the robot. Go out and play Laser Tag. Have a LAN party in someone's basement. Play a game of baseball at a local park. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. It's things like these that will forge friendships that don't just exist at robotics meetings, but during the school day as well.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:30 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Hopefully you're planning teambuilding exercises - short ones at the beginning of every meeting, longer ones or a half/whole day scheduled for the early fall once your student recruiting efforts are finished.

Training is really important, as others have already stated. Many teams use FTC as a way to get new students involved and for teaching purposes also.

Give new students responsibilities to get them engaged. Have them look at last year's kickoff/game manual and ask how they would play the game/design/build the robot. Then have the veteran team members explain why they made the decisions they made last January and asses how successful they were.

Take apart last year's robot and rebuild it!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
AKA: Genevieve
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Cheerleader1073

Although there have been disagreements, with good thinking attached, I actually agree about the fundraising. I'm not about to list all the ways our team has brought in funds over the years since I'm sure you could find that information by searching it - even probably in a thread in CD - but all of them involve the team working together. I was head of the business team on our team last year and will be one of our two captains this year so from my experience there really is no 'off-season' to FIRST - it's a year-round activity. When it's not build season and competition season there should be meetings for training (we call ours "Robot U"), larger fundraising activities, community work towards Chairman's, attending or hosting workshops, and of course FUN!... go to the movies as a team, play lazer tag, go out to dinner! The summer's almost over now so this would be for next year, but when school's out that's the best time to get a lot accomplished since everyone has their time freed up.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

-Gen

Heard about FIRST Friday 2012?
www.worldfirstfriday.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/worldfirstfriday

@lifebycountry on Twitter

FRC Student: 2007-2011
FLL/JFLL Mentor: 2008-2011
Volunteer (Mixed): 2007-Present
FRC Mentor: 2011-Present

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Head Coach & Mentor
AKA: Dale Yocum
FRC #1540 (Flaming Chickens)

Rookie Year: 2005
Dale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud ofDale has much to be proud of

There's really nothing quite like building a robot, even a simple box on wheels. Here in Oregon we host the BunnyBot pre-season competition each fall. Last year's game can be seen at http://www.oregonfirst.org/regional-...bot-scrimmage/ . This year's game comes out September 11th. For BunnyBots we invent a new, simple game to be played with FRC-class robots on Saturday Dec 18th. Students learn a ton and some say it's more fun than FRC because the pressure-to-fun ratio is more tilted towards fun and newer members have a greater role.

San Diego has such a great community of teams you could probably get something similar going down there. If that's too much to take on, just have new members build something FRC-like and drive it around the school. You'll be amazed in the difference in energy level of those folks. I'd take apart last year's robot if need be to make it happen...I'm such a big fan of having a pre-season robot project.
2014 PNW Championship Chairman's; 2014 Championship Innovation in Controls; 2013 Chairman's (Oregon); 2013 Finalist (OKC); 2012 Winner (OKC); 2012 Chairman's (OKC); 2012 Woody Flowers (Oregon); 2012 Imagery (Oregon); 2011 Volunteer of the Year (Oregon); 2011 Finalist & Captain (San Diego); 2011 Innovation in Control (San Diego); 2010 & 2007 Chairman's (Oregon); 2010 Regional Champions (Colorado); 2010 Innovation in Control (Colorado); 2009 & 2008 Engineering Inspiration (Oregon); 2008 Regional Champions (Oregon); 2007 Regional Finalist (Oregon); 2005 Rookie Inspiration (PNW)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Compulsive frobnicator
FRC #0766 (M-A Bears)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
RyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond reputeRyanCahoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
There's really nothing quite like building a robot, even a simple box on wheels.
My experience mostly agrees with Dale on this one. You have to separate offseason activities into things that we need to do and things that we like to do. Most incoming students will be expecting to build robots ("it is robot club after all"), and so, at least to a certain degree, you have to oblige them. Unlike many of the more established teams, most students at your school will probably not know the total of what goes on in your team (yet they will still think they do), but you don't want to drive them away once you've got them in the door. Your team's job is to grow their enthusiasm in FIRST.

Try delegating responsibility for the have to tasks to veteran team members; since they have been through a season already, they will get why it's critical that you raise $10,000+, and will appreciate the responsibility. This does not mean that you deal them the task and forget them: they still need to know that you are supprting them and that it's ok if they experience failures (cite: JVN).

Another approach is to assign each of the new students to your mentors and the more mature of your veteran students, after talking to the veterans about what this means for them. Think apprenticeship program.

In regards to education, this can be a valid exercise, but needs to be implemented correctly. In my experience, if you (or your mentors, or ...) lecture at the students for more than a meeting or so, the students will start to wonder why they've signed up for another class. Some may like this, but there's a good chance many won't. Try the one-on-one (or up to about one-on-three) approach instead.

Specific ideas: Try having the some kids work on CAD (if you know it) as all this requires is access to a computer lab and they can create as many designs as they want. Having some sort of hands-on activity is critical, though, as many students (esp. freshmen) will not have the patience for CAD. VEX has also been mentioned, which is excellent if your team has $700-$1000 to spend on it (I believe this is about the price range actually needed). Also, try asking veteran teams in your area if they have any extra parts and material you could use if you can't afford your own (no matter what type of robot you build). Try to stay away from some of the more crafty hobby kits that are available or more DIY-type projects, as they usually require a fair amount of precision to get working and if you have a whole room of kids competing for your assistance, neither they nor you will be happy.

Also, try to find an offseason FRC competition near you. These are great ways for new students to get a feel for FIRST before the season starts.

--Ryan

FRC 2046, 2007-2008, Student member
FRC 1708, 2009-2012, College mentor; 2013-2014, Mentor
FRC 766, 2014-, Mentor
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Head Mentor
AKA: Clem McKown
FRC #1640 (Sab-BOT-age)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
Clem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant futureClem1640 has a brilliant future

We're active year-round now and run a summer program. Generally we focus on new technology areas which we feel will be useful for the team to understand better. We prototype & test our ideas and then document this work and the conclusions. This is a good intro for new students joining at the start of the summer (we always have a few).

In the fall, we've got a few things going on:
1) Fundraising (never stops)
2) Community outreach (local town festivals - sponsor demos - etc.)
3) Training - especially tool use and safe working processes
4) Training - CAD; drivetrain basics; pneumatics basics
5) Driving practice and try-outs
6) Offseason competitions - we do two fall competitions each year (Duel on the Delaware & Ramp Riot)

Hope this helps.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
no team

lehua768 is an unknown quantity at this point

In regards to education, this can be a valid exercise, but needs to be implemented correctly. In my experience, if you (or your mentors, or ...) lecture at the students for more than a meeting or so, the students will start to wonder why they've signed up for another class. Some may like this, but there's a good chance many won't. Try the one-on-one (or up to about one-on-three) approach instead.Specific ideas: Try having the some kids work on CAD (if you know it) as all this requires is access to a computer lab and they can create as many designs as they want. Having some sort of hands-on activity is critical, though, as many students (esp. freshmen) will not have the patience for CAD. VEX has also been mentioned, which is excellent if your team has $700-$1000 to spend on it (I believe this is about the price range actually needed). Also, try asking veteran teams in your area if they have any extra parts and material you could use if you can't afford your own (no matter what type of robot you build). Try to stay away from some of the more crafty hobby kits that are available or more DIY-type projects, as they usually require a fair amount of precision to get working and if you have a whole room of kids competing for your assistance, neither they nor you will be happy.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM
FRC #3195 (RoboNinjas)

3195mentor has a spectacular aura about3195mentor has a spectacular aura about3195mentor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehua768 View Post
In regards to education, this can be a valid exercise, but...
While I appreciate the effort, copying and pasting a previous poster's reply doesn't really help much
  • "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."
  • "Be nice to geeks when you're in school, you might end-up working for one when you grow-up."
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2010, 12:56 AM
FRC #3195 (RoboNinjas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem1640 View Post
We're active year-round now and run a summer program. Generally...
Thanks, I will keep those activities in mind. I'm actually thinking about bringing the CAD teacher at this school aboard (hopefully)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2010, 12:58 AM
FRC #3195 (RoboNinjas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCahoon View Post
My experience mostly agrees with Dale on this one. You have to separate offseason ...
Great suggestions, I will try to implement some of those ideas for this year

also, nice sig-pic, I remember the scene it was from, however i can't recall the name of the movie it was from! (D'OH!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: