OCCRA
Go to Post Inspect every connection after every match. Use your eyes, ears and nose. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:40 PM
The Voice
AKA: David Thomas
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to synth3tk
Rough Draft Posters

Just wanted to see what you guys think about these. I sort of deviated greatly from my original idea for them, but I am kind of happy with the outcome. They could still use some work, though, so I'd like to know what you think I should change to improve them.

This would be printed on green paper, BTW. I'm just using a green background to design.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 Rethink Fun.pdf (395.7 KB, 191 views)
File Type: pdf 2011 Rethink Positions.pdf (356.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: pdf 2011 Rethink Scholarships.pdf (321.0 KB, 101 views)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Control Systems Mentor
AKA: David
FRC #4096 (Ctrl-Z)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Dkt01 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rough Draft Posters

First, good design.
I like the incorporation of pictures as well as a graphic pattern, but if you're printing on green paper, neither will look very good. How will the white show up? The pictures may look very green.
Also, you may want to consider using this as only a background. Maybe put information right on the poster to cover some of the empty space.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM
The Voice
no team

synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I never thought about how the pictures would look on the green paper. I've never done print designs before, so I don't know what sort of issues these would bring. Maybe I should print a test page to see how it comes out?

Also, I'll look into putting the meeting info on the poster itself, but the plan is to print out stickers and just slapping them right on. That way, we just print out another set, put them on top of the old one, and not worry about printing more full sheets.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Mentor
AKA: Stephen des Jardins
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)

Big Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of light

Comments are "engineering" perspective. First, generally a good design and good commonality between the three panels. Now for details:
1) Think about who you want interested in the posters. The top should be a BIG hook to entice reading. The "meeting notice" has to be a strong call to action. (the punch line of why they just spend the time reading.
2) 13.8 million is strongest opening-- "Non-engineering Roles" is the weakest.
3) Lots of reading! I wonder if average HS student will stand still and take it in.
4)Left picture should be MORE FUN. Maybe a cheering drive team in competition. The people on the left should be looking INTO the poster.
5) Lots of "NOT" words. Try to ALWAYS use the Positive language.
6) In "non-engineering: "real world engineers DO deal with budgets, marketing, sales, expectations, and communication. Robot is not the Start. Its just the theme for the team to focus activities around.
7) Long prose can be changed to short positive bullet points.
8) Make sure "call to action" is is BIG TYPE and easy to find. Not embedded in the text.

Keep at it. Poster design is a special discipline. Find the art/graphic arts/photog teacher and ask for input. Hand it to freshmen and see where their eyes track, how long they spend reading.

Make 2 more in the series to hand out to sponsor companies to cover mentors and sponsorship.

Recycle paper is a good concept but these would be better on a bright white 40-60 lb gloss paper, especially if a lot of words remain.

Can you do a 1/2 page version for school news paper or sponsor paper/newsletter?
Keep it up.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:19 PM
The Voice
no team

Thanks. I figured there were a lot of words.

I'll work at them tonight and upload the changes tomorrow.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
The Voice
no team

By the way, any suggestions for the "Non-engineering roles" title? I've been struggling to come up with a good one for that poster.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Put all the zeros in on the scholorship poster. $13,800,000 looks more impressive than $13.8 million.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

On the Non-Engineering Roles

change the "even Team Spirit" to "and Team Spirit" - Team Spirit is a great part of the team, not something to be dismissed, which is what I got from the wording.

How about a title like...

We Want You
Fun For Everyone
We Have a Job For You
Even Engineers Are Welcomed

BTW, These are great posters. Would you be OK with them being used by others?

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Simplicty is Complicated!
AKA: Bryan Culver
FRC #0033 (The Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2009
BJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like many people probably don't really know what actually being built in "robotics club". Because none of your other posters had robots on them perhaps you should make a fourth poster clarifying that, No, its not like battlebots.

Otherwise really cool posters.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:44 AM
The Voice
no team

Interesting. I'll try the zeros idea, Gary.

Thanks for the titles, rsisk. And it's OK if others used them! I'm sure someone will be able to do even better than myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC View Post
I feel like many people probably don't really know what actually being built in "robotics club". Because none of your other posters had robots on them perhaps you should make a fourth poster clarifying that, “No, it’s not like battlebots.”

Otherwise really cool posters.
lol! That's a very good point. I'll try to come up with something for a fourth poster.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

No printing company would attempt to print that on green paper. They generally never use white ink. Instead they'd print the green with ink.

But that shouldn't be your concern, the printer will know what to do.

If you plan on printing these yourself, then go TO a printing shop and ask them for advice. Almost any will be happy to spend 15 minutes impressing you with their knowledge, and for a good cause.

As for the concepts, I like them very much. Sure, a word tweak here or there, but overall excellent concept. Find someone local in marketing or advertising and ask them for advice. Again, it's for a good cause...

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:16 PM
The Voice
no team

Thanks. I decided to switch to white paper, green print, which will be reflected on the new posters when I put them up. I don't know what I was thinking with the white print idea. Also, I never thought to go talk to a marketing or advertising agency/professional.

Side-note: If anyone wants to use variations of these for their own purposes, they are just .doc files converted to PDF. Message me if you want the originals.

Last edited by synth3tk : 10-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 03:35 PM
The Voice
no team

New copies attached. Changed background to white, text/border to green, headers to black, added custom bullet point images, changed a few pictures and their layout/sizes, reworded and removed some phrases.

As always, I love the constructive criticism. Keep it coming.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 Rethink Fun.pdf (285.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf 2011 Rethink Scholarships.pdf (241.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf 2011 Rethink Positions.pdf (198.7 KB, 42 views)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Mentor
AKA: Stephen des Jardins
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)

Big Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of lightBig Ideas is a glorious beacon of light

Getting much better.

"Scholarships" looks like a real estate add from a distance. Maybe a cap and gown shot instead. Say "$13.8Million Available"

Take "below" out of the "come to next meeting" line.

I like the paw print bullets.
Is there a particular goal your are trying to use the posters to achieve?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
The Voice
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ideas View Post
"Scholarships" looks like a real estate add from a distance. Maybe a cap and gown shot instead. Say "$13.8Million Available"
Hahahaha!! Wow, thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Take "below" out of the "come to next meeting" line.
Whoops, must have missed that one. I thought I removed it before converting to PDF.

Quote:
I like the paw print bullets.
Is there a particular goal your are trying to use the posters to achieve?
Thanks. And I guess the goal is just to advertise the team, really. Everyone knows robotics is building a machine and programming that machine. I figured if they knew about the other positions on the team, along with the scholarship opportunities, then they might be more comfortable with joining the team.

It's just an effort to take a bit of the "nerdiness" off, I guess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: