Go to Post JVN, Captain Mechanical Engineer, Mr. "Software is evil", has supported the CMU camera. I'm speechless. What's next? Copioli designing in imperial? - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Software Mentor
AKA: Mike Anderson
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
taichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to taichichuan
2011 C++ Beta Testers?

Greetings!

Can any of the 2011 control system beta testers comment on the selection of sensors? I.e., has the control of the Hi-Technic/Lego I2C sensors been improved? I'm just curious about what sensors are supported this year.

On a related note, has the CAN Jaguar support been integrated into the WPILib? Does this include working with the shaft encoder on the Jaguar?

TIA,

Mike
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
436f6465206765656b
AKA: Matt Soucy
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop 166)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
demosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Yahoo to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Skype™ to demosthenes2k8
Re: 2011 C++ Beta Testers?

Honestly, 166 hasn't seen ANY difference in WPIlib. Sensors that we've tried are exactly the same as last year. We haven't tried Hi-Technic etc sensors, though.

CAN still isn't built in...

GSR Dean's List Finalist 2011
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:30 AM
National Instruments
AKA: Joe Hershberger
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

Rookie Year: 1997
jhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes2k8 View Post
Honestly, 166 hasn't seen ANY difference in WPIlib. Sensors that we've tried are exactly the same as last year. We haven't tried Hi-Technic etc sensors, though.

CAN still isn't built in...
The I2C hardware implementation now supports a wider selection of sensors due to the addition of a compatibility mode which detects clock skewing more aggressively (at the expense of performance).

CAN support is in the process of being integrated. The next beta update will include it. I'm not sure when Brad is planning to release it. Last I heard it was going to be released 2 weeks ago. The CAN Jaguar support is not yet upgraded to support the new jag FW, but last years library is in the WPILib trunk awaiting release.

-Joe
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:31 AM
National Instruments
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

jhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichichuan View Post
I.e., has the control of the Hi-Technic/Lego I2C sensors been improved? I'm just curious about what sensors are supported this year.
What improvements are you hoping for? We have had no feedback on the implementation, and as such have not done anything to change it.

-Joe
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Software Mentor
AKA: Mike Anderson
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 2010
taichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to taichichuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
What improvements are you hoping for? We have had no feedback on the implementation, and as such have not done anything to change it.

-Joe
HI Joe,

I'm just trying to see what of the full range of Hi-Technic sensors will be supported. We had some problems with the stability of the 2010 Gyro/Compass and we're looking to see how much of the FTC kit can be used this year.

Some of the newer Hi-Technic sensors like the magnetometer and the EOPD look really interesting if we can make them work with WPILib with a minimum of hassle. We also had a few problems with the I2C support in last year's WPILib, so we were looking to see if anything had changed.

TIA,

Mike
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
National Instruments
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

Quote:
I'm just trying to see what of the full range of Hi-Technic sensors will be supported. We had some problems with the stability of the 2010 Gyro/Compass and we're looking to see how much of the FTC kit can be used this year.
The Compass is the only one in the C++ library at the moment. I think there is a LabVIEW example for the Accelerometer that could be ported to C++. No Gyro, though. Don't have one.

Quote:
Some of the newer Hi-Technic sensors like the magnetometer and the EOPD look really interesting if we can make them work with WPILib with a minimum of hassle. We also had a few problems with the I2C support in last year's WPILib, so we were looking to see if anything had changed.
All of the HiTechnic sensors should be pretty trivial to support... I just don't have any of them and no-one else has contributed drivers or hardware so far. Perhaps I'll dig around and try to find some of these devices in various NXT stashes that others have.

-Joe
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Paul C. Tan., P.Eng.
AKA: Paul Tan
FRC #1009 (Bolt Action)

Rookie Year: 2000
ptan is a splendid one to beholdptan is a splendid one to beholdptan is a splendid one to beholdptan is a splendid one to beholdptan is a splendid one to beholdptan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
The Compass is the only one in the C++ library at the moment. I think there is a LabVIEW example for the Accelerometer that could be ported to C++. No Gyro, though. Don't have one.

All of the HiTechnic sensors should be pretty trivial to support... I just don't have any of them and no-one else has contributed drivers or hardware so far. Perhaps I'll dig around and try to find some of these devices in various NXT stashes that others have.

-Joe
If you could support the HiTechnic (FTC) Gyro, that would be great! I have a few of them lying around that my FRC team could use.
Mentor - FRC Teams 188, 610, 1009, 2634
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
National Instruments
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan View Post
If you could support the HiTechnic (FTC) Gyro, that would be great! I have a few of them lying around that my FRC team could use.
Not possible, I'm afraid... the Gyro from HiTechnic is an analog sensor. The digital sidecar (as it's name suggests) is for digital only... You could use the HiTechnic Gyro if you cut open an NXT sensor cable and wire it up to the Analog Breakout.

I'd be surprised if you got better performance from it than you do from the kit gyro, but I haven't tested it.

-Joe
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: