OCCRA
Go to Post I bet Andy Baker would totally own JVN in a 1v1 dodgeball fight. - Greg Marra [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Software Mentor
AKA: Mike Anderson
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
taichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of lighttaichichuan is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to taichichuan
Windows 7 64-bit support?

Greetings!

Can anyone provide a definitive answer as to whether Windows 7 (64-bit) is supported by the 2011 FRC software (WRS C/C++, Netbeans, Labview, Cypress board driver, Driver Station)? Many students are getting new laptops for the holidays or have recent laptops and they are all coming with Windows 7 in 64-bit mode. I'm just trying to head off any compatibility problems before the build season starts. Any Beta-test folks care to comment? I'm sure that I'm not the only one wondering about this and it would be nice to get the answers so we can prepare.

And yes, I know all about Xen, VmWare, KVM, etc. I'm a Linux guy who uses them all of the time. But, I'm trying to find out if I *need* to use them for the team before I go to the trouble of creating a VM solely to run a 32-bit WinDoze version (and all of the USB and Ethernet compatibility problems that a VM brings to the table).

TIA,

Mike
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM
AKA: Bethany Carlson
FRC #0956 (Eagle Cybertechnology)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Bethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Windows 7 64-bit support?

I understand it is not supported. From Bill's Blog:

'Please note the version of Workbench provided in the FRC Kit of Parts (2009 2011) is not certified for use on 64-bit Windows operating systems. Please use the C/C++ section of the FIRST Forums for questions about this issue '
[ http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2010...0000-feet.html ]

I installed Workbench on my Win 7 64-bit laptop with no trouble and have done a little work in it. That being said, a few hours' worth of tooling around probably wouldn't show up many problems.
I'd like to hear from someone who has worked with Workbench on a 64-bit system for longer than I have....here's hoping students' new batches of Christmas laptops won't be obsolete in FIRST this year

We're back to square one...while we're at it, let's redesign square one!

Team 956: Celebrating ten years of FIRST!

Code:
Team record 2002-2011
2002: Highest Rookie Seed, AOR
2003, 2006, 2012: Xerox Creativity Award, AOR
2006: Semi-finalist, Sacramento Regional
2009: Quarter-finalist, AOR
2010: Quarter-finalist, AOR
2011: Semi-finalist, AOR, and Dean's List finalist, AOR 

Personal record: 
2008: Lead scout
2009: Lead scout, publicity
2010: Lead scout, publicity, fundraising, Chairman's, videography
2011: Team captain, lead programmer, fundraising, Chairman's, publicity, wrench-turning, Dean's List finalist at Autodesk Oregon Regional
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
436f6465206765656b
AKA: Matt Soucy
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop 166)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
demosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Yahoo to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Skype™ to demosthenes2k8

Team 166 has noticed this bug for the last couple of years. It doesn't seem to affect everyone - many of our laptops are 64bit 7, but only some have these problems. The problems can be anything from annoying to crippling - one person's laptop can't open projects, which means he can't work on any code. Note that we use Wind River and Labview, but only Wind River has ever shown any problems.

tl;dr: It may or may not affect you, but if it does it sucks.

GSR Dean's List Finalist 2011
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank Send a message via Skype™ to Pat Fairbank

I ran Wind River Workbench on Windows 7 x64 all last season without any issues, and for a good amount of coding. I can't speak for any of the other software, though.
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:26 PM
FRC #0166 (ChopShop)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
Bot190 will become famous soon enough

Wind River is the only software used in FRC that currently doesn't support 64bit OS's.

The Cypess driver will work with Windows 7 this year, and as far as i know, Labview doesn't have an issue with Win 7 64bit, this extends to the driver station and dashboard which are both coded in Labview. Netbeans also shouldn't have any trouble due to it being an actively developed IDE.

The reason Wind River doesn't work is because when it was developed (2007ish) 64bit OS's weren't as prevalent, and windows 7 didn't exist.

As has been said, sometimes Wind River works fine on Win 7 64bit, but sometimes it is missing certain dialogs.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

We ran the new version of FRC Labview during the beta test over the past 3 months on three different Windows 7 64 bit machines with no issues.

In fact, Vista was far more of a headache that 7 was.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Putting the Jumper in the Bumper
AKA: Ian Thompson
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
Radical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura about

Has any beta team had success in running Wind River within 7's XP mode? We may be getting a brand new laptop this year and it'll kinda be a pain if we can't use it

"To have no errors would be life without meaning. No strugle, no joy"
"A network is only as strong as it's weakest linksys"
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:42 PM
FRC #0166 (ChopShop)

Rookie Year: 2009
Bot190 will become famous soon enough

No one on our team has tried Win 7's XP mode, but from what I've read, its basically a special Virtual Machine (VM) with XP installed. Becuase its a VM, you will probably run into problems with usb devices, and possible networking. Also remember that you have to install everything onto the VM.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:44 PM
AKA: Kris
FRC #4392 (Decievers)
Team Role: College Student

kgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to behold

We used Windows 7 for the second part of the year last year since our computer died. Everything worked great (except I'm not a fan of windows 7). We only used labview though.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:04 AM
With great power comes great I^2*R
FRC #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Peter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to beholdPeter Johnson is a splendid one to behold

I've been using WindRiver on 64-bit Windows 7 for quite a while... RobotPy was in fact developed on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine, using both the IDE and command line tools. I've not seen any issues.

2010 FRC World Champions (294, 67, 177)
2007 FTC World Champions (30, 74, 23)
2001 FRC National Champions (71, 294, 125, 365, 279)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: