OCCRA
Go to Post Donít let the medals you win and the trophies on your mantel define who you are. Let it be the lives youíve touched and the legacy you leave behind. - Sean Schuff [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
no team

unionylibertad is an unknown quantity at this point
game hints in retrospect

Bill's Blog stuff (30k feet, pool noodles, phish food, etc): Meaningless
Red Herring #1: Ubertubes, maybe?
Hint #1: Little EVA, E.V.A. referring to the minibot deployment; Little Eva's hit was "Locomotion"==>Logomotion...also tracking along the tape is train-like
Hint #2: Game pieces
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou
Re: game hints in retrospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionylibertad View Post
Bill's Blog stuff (30k feet, pool noodles, phish food, etc): Meaningless
Red Herring #1: Ubertubes, maybe?
Hint #1: Little EVA, E.V.A. referring to the minibot deployment; Little Eva's hit was "Locomotion"==>Logomotion...also tracking along the tape is train-like
Hint #2: Game pieces
Hint #2 was also what is often considered the logo of first. LOGOmotion.

I don't think that there have been such "complex" game hints. Even though they're kind of stupidly simple now knowing the game, the fact that the first hint points to three game elements (E.V.A., Logomotion, tracking) is mega impressive. Here's a serious congrats to the GDC; that was brilliant.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
AKA: Bryan
FRC #2052 (KnightKrawler)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Tanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to beholdTanis is a splendid one to behold

I think this is about as complex as most of them have been.

I would also like to add the the community got "Locomotion" far more quickly than I remember anyone guessing any of the other games. The Lunacy moonfish was a complete disaster, especially when people discovered the "secret" text in the background.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:38 PM
436f6465206765656b
AKA: Matt Soucy
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop 166)

demosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Yahoo to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Skype™ to demosthenes2k8

I still stand by my statement that the Bill's Blog "hints" were about the college program. A mountain and tennis balls? Phish Food...OK, don't get that one.

GSR Dean's List Finalist 2011
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Strategical Tactitian
AKA: Garrick
no team (SparX)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
GCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud of

Its always easier to apply the game to the hints. Although i was impressed that people on CD were able to come up with the game name
"Locomotion" to end up being incorrect by one letter.

Check us out at:
http://www.gosparx.org
http://www.facebook.com/SparX1126
I Love Two Pencil Designs!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCentola View Post
Its always easier to apply the game to the hints. Although i was impressed that people on CD were able to come up with the game name
"Locomotion" to end up being incorrect by one letter.
When the second hint was released, the game name was out--someone came up with Logo-Motion (and alternate spellings) very quickly.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Local Nut
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

Another one for hint 1. The pole that eva was around, and the pole for the mini-bots.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Strategical Tactitian
AKA: Garrick
no team (SparX)
Team Role: Tactician

GCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud of

another great observation. Its easy to see how the hints apply now that we know the game. The fun part is watching others make speculations about what the game will be. Someday, when I grow up, I want to join the GDC so I can make people go crazy thinking about what I'm thinking about and then release hints that get people even crazier.

Check us out at:
http://www.gosparx.org
http://www.facebook.com/SparX1126
I Love Two Pencil Designs!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
no team

unionylibertad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCentola View Post
another great observation. Its easy to see how the hints apply now that we know the game. The fun part is watching others make speculations about what the game will be. Someday, when I grow up, I want to join the GDC so I can make people go crazy thinking about what I'm thinking about and then release hints that get people even crazier.
my thoughts exactly
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
When the second hint was released, the game name was out--someone came up with Logo-Motion (and alternate spellings) very quickly.
I think Jack Jones came up with it first, based on the time of the post.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes2k8 View Post
Phish Food...OK, don't get that one.
Um, maybe they just like Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream? I mean, who wouldn't??

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:25 PM
FRC #2220

Jedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant futureJedward45 has a brilliant future

Little Eva= Rock 'n roll = Rack 'n Roll= intertubes?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM
436f6465206765656b
AKA: Matt Soucy
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop 166)

demosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Yahoo to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Skype™ to demosthenes2k8

Very good point, I used to obsess over that flavor...

Yeah, in hindsight, these all make sense. The FIRST community really did a good job, guessing the name, the shape(s) of the pieces...

GSR Dean's List Finalist 2011
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #1124 (‹berBots)

Rookie Year: 2005
smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to smurfgirl

I'm impressed that more or less all of the major aspects of the game were guessed in the game hint threads. CD is one smart group of people.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: