OCCRA
Go to Post If I had a dollar for every time I thought we'd get a legitimate hint....Well, I might have a few dollars... - Andrew Blair [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
FRC #1518

madgokart is an unknown quantity at this point
NanoTube Chassis

I was looking on andy mark and i saw the nano tube chassis....i was wondering what are other peoples thoughts about them?

and I was wondering how someone would go about putting bumpers around the wheels and on the nano tube Chassis?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2001
Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Tytus Gerrish
Re: NanoTube Chassis

i miss the old days when bumpers were recommended but not required. the drive train configurations were vastly creative and dimorphic. Unfortunately for you you would have to build some kind of mount bracket that can support a bumper out beyond the wheels
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

It's not that hard. Just put some blocks no more than every 8 inches apart, between the wheels, and you're fine.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
FRC #1661

ehobel is an unknown quantity at this point

On AndyMark.com it says this:

Almost New Stuff (coming soon)

C-Channel mount brackets for Toughbox Nano Tube (for mounting a outer frame)
31" Nano Tube Drive Bases.

You could mount the bumpers on the outer frame.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Utility Girl
AKA: Leah
FRC #2996 (Cougars Gone Wired)
Team Role: Communications

Rookie Year: 2009
lturtle2996 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a modified design of the nanotubes as our chassis. (We took the CAD file from AndyMark's website and made it longer, got rid of some of the holes, and had it manufactured by one of our sponsors, Vertec Tool, inc.) Personally, as a member of team 2996's drive team, I love the nano tubes. We used 6" Mecanum wheels with it, and made the gear ratio the same as our gear ratio last year when we used 8" Mecanum

Anyways, attaching the bumpers was a problem that took a lot of designing and redesigning to make possible. We ended up having supports that were perpendicular to the nanotubes that extended past the tubes to hold the bumpers. The best picture I could find to show that is this picture on the manipulator team's blog...the two metal angled aluminum things sticking past the yellow wood is what we attached it to. That and then the bottom was supported by that yellow plywood that was our electronics board!

2011- Regional Chairman's Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2010- Entrepreneurship Award, Excellence in Design Award, Industrial Safety Award
2009- Rookie All Star, Regional Champions (thanks 399 and 1332!), Autodesk Visualization Award, Website Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

We put the c-channel on the nanotubes like so and are very happy with the results.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM
AKA: Chuck Brant
FRC #1583
Team Role: Mentor

NOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud ofNOV8R has much to be proud of

We have a design similar to AndyMark's nanotube. We lengthened the rails to 35 inches and capped them with 3x1 inch rectangular aluminum tubing 27 inches long. We have two side pieces of 3x1 tubing that are 35 inches long that attach to these forming a rectangle 27x37. The bumpers are bolted to these. We use 6" omni wheels on the corner with placation wheels in the center with a 1/16" drop. With the built in gearing we have a 12.7:1 drive ratio. The chassis is 'nuke proof' and turns on a dime.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2011, 01:02 PM
AKA: Isaak
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2003
Hawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to all

the way that our cantilevered prototype supports the bumpers is cross sections of 3*3*.125 tube, an inch wide, riveted to the frame, it adds less than a pound for the whole frame.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: