OCCRA
Go to Post I think this thread needs a reminder that there's no h in mecanum. ;) - Lil' Lavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Safety!!!!
AKA: Rick
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2008
RMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RMS11
2415 Roller Gripper Prototype Video

We got this put together yesterday to test some dimensions for the gripper before we send off the final sheet metal parts to our machine shop sponsor. Let me know if you have any questions, ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUkxsGIFWk

2009 Peachtree Regional Champs
2009 Palmetto Regional Champs
2008 Peachtree Rookie All Star and Rookie Highest Seed
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
FRC #1727 (REX)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Stephen of REX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2415 Roller Gripper Prototype Video

Nice.

Go REX!!!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Does it grab the small part of the triangle?

Is it spring loaded?
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

RMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to beholdRMS11 is a splendid one to behold

Yes it does, we just did not have that object in the shop at the time. We found the wider the roller is, it can suck the corners in nice and deep. It is not spring loaded. We have a lot of compression, but the urethane belting adds a spring-like element when it stretches.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:36 PM
FRC #1727 (REX)
Team Role: College Student

Stephen of REX is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you can't handle deflated tubes though. You should take some air out of one and see what happens.

Go REX!!!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

The gripper compresses the tubes down anywhere from 2-3 inches. The rules state that all the tubes will be kept from 7-8" in diameter. With the tubes at any inflation in this range, our gripper can handle them.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Work harder, do better.

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Our triangle piece is as shallow as 5.5 inches in the middle fully inflated. Are the specs going to be kept that tight at competition?
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

This design compresses all objects to well below 5", and handles the triangles with no noticeable difference as the other two shapes. Also, the two belts run at approaching angles, compressing the shapes more as they are pulled in.

Last edited by RMS11 : 01-14-2011 at 09:46 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Sunny
FRC #5283

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Sean wasn't able to convince yall to go over to wood.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:28 PM
FunYun
AKA: Andrew Yun
FRC #2415

Rookie Year: 2004
Andrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud ofAndrew Y. has much to be proud of

santosh, i know we have had our differences, but targeting your old team in a public enviroment is not the route to go. if you have a problem...come talk to me in the publix parking lot @6:00 today. but we need to be done by 8 because thats when the game is. we are sorry it didnt work out with us...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Work harder, do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttldomination View Post
I guess Sean wasn't able to convince yall to go over to wood.
Nah, they just do it backwards of most teams. Instead of prototyping with plywood and machining metal for the final version, they make their prototypes out of sheet metal and machine the final robot out of wood.

[/joke post]

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

The thing would have stopped running. I've done this kind of prototyping for nearly a decade now and never had anyone hurt by a drill "popping off". In fact, using a system with a clutch and that loses power if someone drops it is significantly safer than using a motor with connectors into a battery or with exposed leads as I see quite frequently. Additionally all the gears are encased in a nice plastic shell so they can't catch fingers. Honestly, for prototypes drills are a pretty nice way to test. They have variable speeds, stop really quick, and have a clutch so you probably won't destroy your mechanism if it hits a hard stop. It also probably won't destroy a person if your mechanism hits them before you let go of the trigger.

2415, thanks for sharing. We have a couple roller claw prototypes out of Vex parts but I think I might get busy with a router and some plywood tonight to see if the shape of the back has a large impact.

A few questions:

What is your compression? You say you are compressing to less than 5" thickness. Does the drill seem to be struggling at all?

Have you tried other widths? 5", 7", 9"? Did this have an impact?

Have you tried not having rollers in the middle and instead grabbing from two points on the side?

Have you tried pulling your tubes out by hand both while the motors are running and while they aren't? Perhaps use a cable tied to the piece with a force gauge to measure your grip strength.

Have you tried grabbing at an angle? Both relative to the floor and relative to the tube.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...

Last edited by Bharat Nain : 01-19-2011 at 08:00 AM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

What is your compression? You say you are compressing to less than 5" thickness. Does the drill seem to be struggling at all?

Drill does not seem to struggle at all. We will be using a 550 and a 1:16 banebots transmission.

Have you tried other widths? 5", 7", 9"? Did this have an impact?

We were satisfied with this result enough to not try any other amounts of compression. Much less (~6" or greater) would have probably struggled to maintain grip.

Have you tried not having rollers in the middle and instead grabbing from two points on the side?

Yes. It is effective to an extent (pretty much as long as you are going fairly straight and the roller tries to grab the tube it will work.

Have you tried pulling your tubes out by hand both while the motors are running and while they aren't? Perhaps use a cable tied to the piece with a force gauge to measure your grip strength.

We have not measured the grip strength with a force gauge but we do plan to turn off the motors once we have control and rely on the friction of the system (both the gearbox, the chain, and the belt) to hold the tube.

Have you tried grabbing at an angle? Both relative to the floor and relative to the tube.

Works just as well, although we plan to be grabbing straight on most of the time as it is easier to line up.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Team Cap
FRC #3374 (Robo-Broncs)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
Carter12s is just really niceCarter12s is just really niceCarter12s is just really niceCarter12s is just really nice

How well does that keep the tubes from rotating once it has held them. Can it rotate the tubes in place to adjust angle while placing??
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Safety!!!!
FRC #2415 (WiredCats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter12s View Post
How well does that keep the tubes from rotating once it has held them. Can it rotate the tubes in place to adjust angle while placing??
No, in the final design it will all be powered by 1 motor. We thought it would be too hard to accurately rotate with 2 rollers. Instead, our design rotates the entire claw, giving the same effect and making it easier to fit inside starting dimensions.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: