OCCRA
Go to Post Gerardo?!!?! Auugghh! Dave says "that's NOT pimp!!" - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:27 PM
FRC #3316

ABraverMan is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know the friction Coefficient between the carpet and rubber?

we need the Coefficient to run the numbers
help will be appriciated
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Re: does anyone know the friction Coefficient between the carpet and rubber?

You'll need to be more specific than that. What type of rubber?

It's pretty easy to do a test yourself if you had a small sample of the carpet/rubber, and an inclined plane.

If you're looking at tread materials there are a number of commonly used types that people can give you a number for.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABraverMan View Post
we need the Coefficient to run the numbers
help will be appriciated
The coefficient of friction will vary between different types of rubber. If you are using an Andymark wheel they have the numbers posted on their website for most or all of their wheels on FRC style carpet. Here is the page for the 2010 KOP rubber wheel:
http://www.andymark.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=am-0420

That page lists the CoF as 1.0 static for that wheel.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM
FRC #3316

we are using bicycle wheels i'm not sure what is the type of rubber in those
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

You'll have to determine it for yourself. Put a piece of rubber on a piece of carpet mounted on something rigid, and maybe a little weight to make sure the rubber slides instead of rolls. Then lift the section of carpet, keeping one end of it on the ground. The inverse tangent of the angle that the piece of rubber slides down at is your CoF.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Orange and Black
FRC #3476 (Code Orange) #3309 (Friarbots)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

We have borrowed a spring force meter from the physics lab at our school to determine coefficient of friction. You would have to rig 4 wheels on a light frame and lock them and try dragging the frame with the force meter. you would have to weight everything to complete the friction calculation. Make you make the frame light because the student force meters don't read very much force.

Trying to get bicycle wheels to work may not be worth it. It would be much easier and time efficient to order wheels from Andy Mark with a know coefficient friction that already have the proper mountings to the drivetrain.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
FRC #3316

oh and by the way my school's team is kinda new so we're not sure at what speed a fast robot would move can someone give me a estimate? (preferably in km/h)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:14 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

The fastest "common" speed that I know about is 15-18 ft/sec. It's much more common to have a 10-12 ft/second robot, though.

If you're designing in km/h, you may want to look at your orders of magnitude. m/sec is much more applicable to a 54' long field.

3.3 ft = 1 m
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

The speedier of robots with shifting gearboxes are usually around 15 to 16 feet per second in high gear. With a single gear anything over about 12 feet per second is probably not a wise choice due to low acceleration (assuming 4 CIMs).

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM
FRC #3316

is that so about the same speed i had in mind thanks alot
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Orange and Black
FRC #3476 (Code Orange) #3309 (Friarbots)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

JVN of team 148 created this great drive train/ mechanical calculator.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2059

We have gone with a 20:1 total gear reduction (including wheels) in the past with 4 CIM motors. Its more of a medium speed at about 8-9 feet per second. Its kinda nice for newer drivers because its not too fast and has decent pushing. We liked it because it has enough torque spin the andy mark FIRST wheels when it crashes into something. Kinda handy with a run away robot driving into a wall in autonomous because you won't trip the circuit breaker right before you start a the tele-op part of the match.

This year we are going for a much quicker robot. We will see if our driver likes it. We are keeping extra sprockets handy to tweak with the gear ratio.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: