OCCRA
Go to Post Or you could go to the Waterloo or Greater Toronto regional, walk up to anyone in their pit, and ask. You may end up feeling like you asked for a sip of water and ended up soaked by a fire hose, but you won't walk away disappointed. - Richard Wallace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2001, 09:07 PM
#0375 (Robotic Plague)

Mike375 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Mike375
Gyroscopes

One of my team's coaches asked me to look through our "junkyard archive" to track down a gyroscope. I didn't particularly remember getting one, but I searched anyway. I did eventually find one, and he asked me to find the documentation. When I went through the kit of parts check lists in the FIRST documentation, over the past two years my team has participated, there is no mention of gyroscopes. Did I just stumble across one, or did FIRST give it to us in a kit of parts?

-Mike 375
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2001, 11:04 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Gyros are 3 years old...

There have been "Gyro's" a.k.a. Yaw Rate Sensors in the kit for 3 years.

The parts are used on Covettes and some Cadillacs in a traction control scheme. The onboard computer knows the velocity of each wheel and the angle of steering on the front wheels. With this information the computer calculates the rate that the car SHOULD be turning if its wheels all had traction. It compares this to the information that the yaw rate sensor gives it about the vehicles TRUE angular spin. If there is a difference, then there must be a traction problem somewhere.

These gyros can be very useful. Several teams used them to automatically balance the bridge automatically last year. Others have used them to make a robot drive straight.

I encourage teams to play with them over the off season. It is worth the both.

Joe J.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: