OCCRA
Go to Post Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe. This is not an exact science. - Jim Meyer [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
Pirkey will become famous soon enough
Analysts

What do analysts do? Are they like a second coach?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526
Re: Analysts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirkey View Post
What do analysts do? Are they like a second coach?
My understanding is that they are the 4th "Coach" for the alliance.

I'm planning on training our Human Player to be an Analyst with the specific task of managing tubes during the match. She is going to keep track of what tubes are in play, what tubes are scored and what tubes are remaining in the Feeder Stations. With this information we should minimize the chance of ourselves or a partner grabbing the wrong tube to complete logos and things of that nature.
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

1. They must stay within the ALLIANCE STATION.
  2. They may not touch GAME PIECES.
  3. They may not touch the controls except for emergencies (e.g. to keep them from falling to the floor.
Other than that, their function is not described in the rules. It will be up to teams and alliances to decide what the ANALYST will do.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
The Skunkfather
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

In reviewing the human interactions in the game there is no mention of not allowing signaling from one end to the other of the field.

Interactions between the field and OFF the field is specifically not allowed.

T 26 states that devices used solely for the purpose of planning or tracking strategy of game play are allowed inside the ALLIANCE STATION if they meet ALL of specified conditions//

ie NO outside communication (outside ARENA)
No electronic communication
AND

Do not in any way affect the outcome of a match, other than by allowing TEAM members to plan or track strategy for the purposes of communication of that strategy to other ALLIANCE members...

This would seem to indicate that you could hold up a SIGN (for instance a CIRCLE,TRIANGLE,SQUARE) that would inform your Alliance partner on the other end that you want them to put said piece into play...from either side.

This could be something that the Analyst could do.... signaling to the other end what piece to put out the slot.

It would seem that this would be legal under 5.5.7 T-26

These would be used to communicate strategy to other ALLIANCE members...

Any ideas on this? It looks legal to me...
Las Vegas 07 WINNER..(w/ 1425/254)...Seattle 08 WINNER (w/ 2046/949).. Oregon 09 WINNER (w/1318/2635)SEA 10 RCA , Spokane 12 WINNER (w/2122/4082) and RCA--- Central Washington 13 WINNER (w/1425/753)--Seattle 13 WINNER (w/948/492) & RCA --Spokane 13 WINNER (w/2471/4125) Spokane 14 - DCA --Auburn 14 - WINNER (w1318/4960) --District CMP 14 WINNER (w 1318/2907, District CMA, CMP 14 Newton Finalist w 971/341/3147

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
arizonafoxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Steele View Post
In reviewing the human interactions in the game there is no mention of not allowing signaling from one end to the other of the field.

Interactions between the field and OFF the field is specifically not allowed.

T 26 states that devices used solely for the purpose of planning or tracking strategy of game play are allowed inside the ALLIANCE STATION if they meet ALL of specified conditions//

ie NO outside communication (outside ARENA)
No electronic communication
AND

Do not in any way affect the outcome of a match, other than by allowing TEAM members to plan or track strategy for the purposes of communication of that strategy to other ALLIANCE members...

This would seem to indicate that you could hold up a SIGN (for instance a CIRCLE,TRIANGLE,SQUARE) that would inform your Alliance partner on the other end that you want them to put said piece into play...from either side.

This could be something that the Analyst could do.... signaling to the other end what piece to put out the slot.

It would seem that this would be legal under 5.5.7 T-26

These would be used to communicate strategy to other ALLIANCE members...

Any ideas on this? It looks legal to me...

I think I am going to have my team make some laminated signaling cards or maybe shapes on the end of poles. I would assume that coaches would also be able to hold up these cards/poles. Maybe we should make three sets so our entire alliance would have the ability to signal the feeder in the same way.

Would it be legal to hold the cards/poles out to the side of the alliance wall? Or only above and against the wall.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
alectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to behold

You are correct under the current rules. It seems to indicate that "holding up a sign" is considered strategy since it satisfies T26.
I thought there was a rule about bringing things to the field, but it seems that T26 is the only related rule.

Event Resume[2014]Auburn Mountainview (V) + Glacier Peak (V) + Spokane (V) + Shorewood (V) + Portland (V) + Championship (V) [2013]Portland (V) + Seattle (V) + Spokane (V) + Championship (V) [2012] Seattle Olympic/Cascade Regionals(V) + Autodesk Oregon Regional (V) + Spokane Regional (V) + Championships (V) [2011] Seattle Olympic/Cascade Regionals(V) [2010] Microsoft Seattle Regional(V) + Championship(V) [2009] Microsoft Seattle Regional (V) + Championships [2008] Microsoft Seattle Regional + Oregon Regional [2007] PNW Regional
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Ready for the offseason!
AKA: Jake Janssens
FRC #3623 (Terror Bots)

Rookie Year: 2008
Zuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to beholdZuelu562 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Zuelu562

Regardless, i'm going over handsignals with my alliance if I'm human player this year, both directional and piece related, definitely need to get to work on those. May go with signs if i can.

Volunteer Resume:
BattleCry@WPI 12, 13 - Queuing
BattleCry@WPI 14 - Field Reset
Granite State District Event 2014 - Team Queueing

"Engineering is trying to find a simple solution to a complex problem."
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Middle Manager... :-(
AKA: Dolan Murvihill
FRC #2374 (CrusaderBots)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
SirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SirTasty

Another idea is to use the analyst as the "coach's coach," keeping track of the global game status and giving each team directions on strategy: prioritize this logo piece, make sure you block this robot, etc.

I've never been on the floor, but it seems to me that it could be a useful function. Can anyone give me some feedback on this?
Another note: sportsmanship and competition go hand and hand. In any sport, whether it is football or track and field. As the ball is snapped, you pound the guy across you and drive him until he is on his butt. After the whistle blows, you help him on his feet; repeat every down.
Homework? What's homework?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

Rookie Year: 2010
davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTasty View Post
Another idea is to use the analyst as the "coach's coach," keeping track of the global game status and giving each team directions on strategy: prioritize this logo piece, make sure you block this robot, etc.

I've never been on the floor, but it seems to me that it could be a useful function. Can anyone give me some feedback on this?
What I was thinking: there is a coach that is in the box looking at the game from the bird's eye view and tells the coach down on the field what plays they are running, how the line is lined up and ect. They analyze the other team and tells the coach to adjust to that front.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM
FRC #1153

Rookie Year: 1900
Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger has a reputation beyond repute

A team would actually have two types of Human Players available for play: A person that is able to provide tubes to robots via the Feeding Slot or tossed over the wall (the latter being a much practiced specialty); or an Analyst that can provide strategy (again, a practiced specialty). This may be the same person, but not necessarily.

The Analyst is the only person on the Alliance whose only job is to watch the whole field and jump from driver to driver, and coordinate between them. What usually ends up is three teams doing their own thing.

Yet, when you think of it, the four Human Players are in total control of the field. If they all keep supplying Triangles (for example, because they were on the top of the pile), not much high scoring can be done. They are also the best ones to see what needs to be fed.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonafoxx View Post
I think I am going to have my team make some laminated signaling cards or maybe shapes on the end of poles. I would assume that coaches would also be able to hold up these cards/poles. Maybe we should make three sets so our entire alliance would have the ability to signal the feeder in the same way.

Would it be legal to hold the cards/poles out to the side of the alliance wall? Or only above and against the wall.
Sounds like a good question for the Q&A

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Local Nut
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)

dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

So clearly each team needs to come prepared with a way of signalling.

Indicator lights on the robot? Just use some different colored bubble lights (or other lights etc). for each type of tube.

Easier for the message to understand, and less of a chance of there being issues of having messages blocked.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Middle Manager... :-(
AKA: Dolan Murvihill
FRC #2374 (CrusaderBots)
Team Role: Leadership

SirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to beholdSirTasty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SirTasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
What I was thinking: there is a coach that is in the box looking at the game from the bird's eye view and tells the coach down on the field what plays they are running, how the line is lined up and ect. They analyze the other team and tells the coach to adjust to that front.
Can't communicate with people in the stands.
Another note: sportsmanship and competition go hand and hand. In any sport, whether it is football or track and field. As the ball is snapped, you pound the guy across you and drive him until he is on his butt. After the whistle blows, you help him on his feet; repeat every down.
Homework? What's homework?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTasty View Post
Can't communicate with people in the stands.
I was making a football reference.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

Rule <T26> prohibits technology that allows the drive team to communicate with anyone outside of the arena in a way that can affect the outcome of the match.

You could try telepathy, morse code eye blinking, etc.....

In other words - you are prohibited from getting help from the stands like the way football is done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: