OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is hard. It's supposed to be. We can't keep giving people a check and expecting them to succeed. We need to stop this model. It takes a village to raise a child but it takes a community to build a FIRST team. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
JVN Build Tip: CIM Pinions

The CIM motor has 0.75" diameter protrusion on its face which is GREAT for piloting (keeping the CIM centered where you want). Relying on the (2x) 10-32 mounting screws will work, but won't result in as consistent a mounting. If you have any slop in your mounting holes the CIM could shift, resulting in a loose or tight gear mesh.

Typically, people use a 12-tooth or 14-tooth 20DP gear as a CIM pinion (see KOP transmissions).

One of my favorite tricks? Always opt for the 12t pinion. The 12t gear fits through a 0.75" hole while the 14t gear does not. This allows you to swap a CIM motor in/out without removing the pinion gear. You can have CIM motors on-hand ready to swap in.

Then again... I've never had to remove a CIM motor except to work on something else... Maybe this isn't such an expert tip after-all.

As always... good luck in 2011!

-John

Originally posted here: http://jvengineering.blogspot.com/20...m-pinions.html
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JVN Build Tip: CIM Pinions

Another great tip John. I've had to remove far more than my fair share of CIM motors and it's a real pain every single time the pinion is not smaller than 0.75" OD. However, sometimes I don't like using 12 tooth 20DP gears because I believe they are undercut. Not a big deal really, but I just feel the 14 tooth gears mesh a bit nicer. I really wish we could get a bigger boss on the face of the CIM, like 1" maybe.

Also, for the pinions, which see the most cycles of operation, I like to use Martin S20XX series gears, as they're slightly harder and I've experienced some odd wear issues with the AndyMark pinions. Of course, if I wanted to I could probably harden the AndyMark ones.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!

Last edited by sanddrag : 01-19-2011 at 03:45 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Totally agree about the 12tooth pinion! Even for the one time you assemble it, it is worth it to just pass the entire motor through the 0.75" hole and tighten it in place.

I can't recall a time where I've switched out just a CIM motor, but I can imagine getting to that step and having to take the pinion off would be a pain!

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Hodge1
FRC #0175 (BuzzRobotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1996
Teched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: JVN Build Tip: CIM Pinions

As an alternative to using a smaller pinion than you want, you can make an adapter bushing for the CIM 3/4 boss and make a larger centering hole to accommodate the larger pinion. Of course, you are limited to a max diameter on the bushing by the edge to edge distance between the 10-32 FH screws to mount the CIM. In addition, you should have several CIM/Bushing motors set up so you are not "pressed" to remove a pinion if a swap becomes necessary. By the way, we have never lost a CIM motor, and have done a review of them in the past after a long competition season and post season play, and have never been disappointed in their durability.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
As always... good luck in 2011!

-John

Originally posted here: http://jvengineering.blogspot.com/20...m-pinions.html
Another tip I've been asked to pass along: CIM motors aren't designed to handle significant cantilevered load -- make sure you're not using them in an application where they have significant side load on the shaft.

Luckily, most people don't really do this so it usually isn't an issue.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:07 AM
team person man
AKA: Colin Nobles
FRC #0340 (G.R.R)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
colin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to colin340

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
Another great tip John. I've had to remove far more than my fair share of CIM motors and it's a real pain every single time the pinion is not smaller than 0.75" OD. However, sometimes I don't like using 12 tooth 20DP gears because I believe they are undercut. Not a big deal really, but I just feel the 14 tooth gears mesh a bit nicer. I really wish we could get a bigger boss on the face of the CIM, like 1" maybe.

Also, for the pinions, which see the most cycles of operation, I like to use Martin S20XX series gears, as they're slightly harder and I've experienced some odd wear issues with the AndyMark pinions. Of course, if I wanted to I could probably harden the AndyMark ones.
Could i get a link to the gears you like to use

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: