OCCRA
Go to Post BEING a chairmans team is alot more important then WINNING the chairmans award. - fuzzwaz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
FRC #1279 (Cold Fusion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Dad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud ofDad1279 has much to be proud of
Re: pic: Team 148 - 2011 - Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
While it can be done with less resources, I'd be worried about these low resource teams trying this, mainly because wheel pod side loading is a pretty big concern with this style of drivetrain.

By the way, the above blog post refers to large performance gains with the removal of the 5th wheel. What are those gains?
Not to hi-jack, but that's how we did it, Drill press and bandsaw. Only machined parts are the two plates. Traction wheels direct drive, larger mecanums raised and lowered. 1-CIM 1-775 per module.

Side loading is not a problem, as the traction wheels are mounted conventionally with a bearing on both sides of shaft, and the mecanums are braced with sideplates/slides. Obviously not all is shown in this rendering.

Last edited by Dad1279 : 02-28-2011 at 07:35 PM.
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
After receiving a number of requests in response to this post, I decided to highlight some of the subtle parts of this year's design on my blog as part of an "Inside Raptor" series.
Another in this series:
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2011/02/insid...retainers.html

Want to retain a flanged bearing? Drill some holes and rivet a washer over the flange.

-John
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

Quote:
Another in this series:
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2011/02/insid...retainers.html

Want to retain a flanged bearing? Drill some holes and rivet a washer over the flange.

-John
Did you also replace the bolts in the AM omnis with rivets?

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cormier View Post
Did you also replace the bolts in the AM omnis with rivets?
Yes we did and they haven't failed us yet. Not sure how much weight we saved by doing this but anything we can do to save a little bit is worth the effort. Additionally by doing this it was and opportunity to check each roller to make sure it rolled freely.
  #140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoel View Post
Team 810 did the same thing in 2002, from what I remember.
810 used 9" Bead-lok wheels for its main drive and lowered two absurdly wide belts to the ground for pushing. I don't recall the overall ratios, but the difference between the wheels and belts was 3:1.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM
AKA: Daniel
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2010
Captaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the rough

haha fusion answered the call for awsome funchional leds check it out at the bayou regional ladies and gentlemen
  #142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)

Rookie Year: 2001
lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Needel View Post
Yes we did and they haven't failed us yet. Not sure how much weight we saved by doing this but anything we can do to save a little bit is worth the effort. Additionally by doing this it was and opportunity to check each roller to make sure it rolled freely.
I've noticed that our omni rollers eventually stop spinning. We have tried loosening the screws but sometimes we have to change the rollers completely.

How often do you guys swap out rollers ?

Did you notice any difference between riveting omnis instead of screws ?
  #143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of plate gears, I remembered that 1771 had plate gears integrated into their turreted shooter's hood. The entire thing was also turreted on a huge laser cut sprocket. Guess they should've published some documentation on their robots! What a dominant machine they had that year.

I'm hoping 1477 and 2415 also have some cool integrated components in the coming seasons.

For anyone interested, it was a simple but pretty cool application.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
On the topic of plate gears, I remembered that 1771 had plate gears integrated into their turreted shooter's hood. The entire thing was also turreted on a huge laser cut sprocket. Guess they should've published some documentation on their robots! What a dominant machine they had that year.

I'm hoping 1477 and 2415 also have some cool integrated components in the coming seasons.
For anyone who is feeling left out on the laser-cutty-goodness you can achieve a similar effect by taking a length of timing belt and wrapping your circular surface in it with the teeth facing out. It isn't as effective as having the teeth laser cut but for low torque applications it does work. 2337 use this approach somewhere on their 2009 robot (I'll snap a pic next time I am down there).

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
simplicity is the key to victory
FRC #0558 (Elm City Robo Squad)

Rookie Year: 2003
jwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond repute

The adjustable length four bar link is a really slick trick. I've had that sketched out in my engineering notebook since the first time I ever saw that done back in 2008 at FLR. They had an adjustable lower link to stay within the sizing rules and to tilt the gripper up, whereas you adjust your upperlink to actuate your wrist. Also I believe theirs may have been passive (gas shock) where your is pnuematically adjusted.

FRC67 - HOT from 2008
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/30680
[2007-2010] FRC 0229 - Division By Zero
[2003-2006] FRC 0176 - Aces High

Last edited by jwfoss : 03-02-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
  #146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
@Nick_Coussens
AKA: Nick Coussens
FRC #2451 (PWNAGE (VRCC: NAR))

Rookie Year: 2007
pwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to pwnageNick

This robot is awesome. My first year of FRC was last year, and I remember being very frightened after seeing your promo video last year. I can't wait to see how you guys do at Alamo this weekend. Good luck this season 148, 2949 can't wait to see you guys perform at Worlds!
2014 World Championship (Curie Division): Division Finalists (1718, 573, 2016), Creativity Award
2014 Midwest Regional: Champions (Alliance Captain with 1625, 5125), Engineering Excellence Award

NAR: North American Robotics, VEXU/VRCC
2013 World Championship: World Finalists, Excellence Award
NAR Facebook 2451 PWNAGE Facebook
  #147   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM
AKA: Justin
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)

Rookie Year: 2006
Redo91 will become famous soon enoughRedo91 will become famous soon enough

You guys always impress.

Are you not worried with getting pushed too easily from the side when your traction wheels are up?
How well does the robot turn when the traction wheels are down?

I wish I could see your robot in person.

Team 624-CRyptonite
Mentor 2014-
  #148   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfoss View Post
The adjustable length four bar link is a really slick trick. I've had that sketched out in my engineering notebook since the first time I ever saw that done back in 2008 at FLR. They had an adjustable lower link to stay within the sizing rules and to tilt the gripper up, whereas you adjust your upperlink to actuate your wrist. Also I believe theirs may have been passive (gas shock) where your is pnuematically adjusted.

FRC67 - HOT from 2008
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/30680
Unfortunately our 2008 adjustable lower link design never made it passed our practice field. The mechanical implementation on that design (PVC and gas shocks) had a serious transition phase that caused our programmers fits. We ended up re-designing the lower arm and replacing it with a solid link as soon as it came out of the crate Thursday morning @ FLR.

Raptor's adjustable arm is much more elegant and functional than that HOT '08 adjustable arm ever dreamed of being.

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)
  #149   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After receiving a number of requests in response to this post, I decided to highlight some of the subtle parts of this year's design on my blog as part of an "Inside Raptor" series.
Another post in this series, my last before we take her out of the bag tomorrow morning at the Alamo regional:
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2011/03/insid...ntiometer.html

Our programmers accuse me of having a mental block which keeps me from designing sensors into the robot. To them I say: "BAGH!"

Good Luck to everyone who competes in week 1!
Raptor has one more big surprise up her sleeve which is ready to go. See you on the field

-John
  #150   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. More compactness (potentially):

1. Fix 2 long VEX metal pieces to the dead axle of the arm such that one of the square holes is concentric with the axle. The hole will have to be enlarged of course. The two pieces of metal should be far enough apart that the slop is minimized, regardless of whether the potentiometer gear is cantilevered or dual-supported.
2. Attach the VEX gear to the arm, as shown.
3. Attach the potentiometer and the potentiometer gear to the VEX metal using appropriate spacing for the chosen gears. The spacing is built-in since it's VEX.
4. Profit.

We've always had issues with potentiometers since we can't seem to keep them from slipping in the shafts we directly mount them to (thus needing to recalibrate them). Or the rubber band / polycord belts we make slip. It results in a bad calibration. Maybe we can try VEX this off season. Right now we use limit switches with encoders -- not too bad coding-wise, but man that's a lot of little wires to run.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: