Go to Post This is Chief Delphi. We're all crazy here. - Whippet [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Achievement through enthusiasm
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Team 148 - 2011 - Raptor

I was going to post a funny joke, but it may not have been appreciated. Either way, awesome robot once again.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
"What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success

Last edited by Karthik : 02-20-2011 at 09:00 PM.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Redefining Geek since 2007
AKA: Samir Shaikh
FRC #1501 (T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2008
samir13k has a spectacular aura aboutsamir13k has a spectacular aura aboutsamir13k has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to samir13k Send a message via MSN to samir13k

Karthik took down his funny joke so i took down my funny response :/

on the other hand though, Oh dang...

Twitter
@samir13k

Last edited by samir13k : 02-20-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Karthik Kanagasabapathy!
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
DaBears til 13 turned Free Agent 14
AKA: Michael Hawley
no team (Free Agent)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2006
xSAWxBLADEx will become famous soon enoughxSAWxBLADEx will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to xSAWxBLADEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
I was going to post a funny joke, but it may not have been appreciated. Either way, awesome robot once again.
i wanna hear, i wanna hear
2009-Traverse City District Competition Champions with 85 and 2645 / Traverse City District Competition Chairman's Award / Michigan State Championship Finalists with 1918 and 904 / Championship Finalist with 217 and 68
2013-Grand Blanc District Competition Champions with 33 and 1718

#64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute

The mini bot alone will win most of there matches. Great job guys.
00,03,06,07,08,10,12 NJ / MAR winner
11 VCU winner
06,10 Las Vegas winner
12 MAR Mt Olive
red is for team 348
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 02:30 AM
AKA: Paul W
FRC #1899 (Saints Robotics)

PaW has a spectacular aura aboutPaW has a spectacular aura about

I really have to commend your media crew. The insane amount of hours it must've taken to compile all the pictures and edit the video footage... that is A LOT of work. And every year, the reveal video is breathtaking, and just a bit better than the previous year. Nice work!

The robot looks pretty good too.

My jaw has become quite adept at self-healing, even with all the repeated drops to the floor.

Last edited by PaW : 02-21-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Hey! It's my 100th post!
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Active Student
AKA: Alex Montero
FRC #2115 (SuburBots)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2010
SuburBot is a jewel in the roughSuburBot is a jewel in the roughSuburBot is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: pic: Team 148 - 2011 - Raptor

Hello Robowranglers,
Very impressive robot!
This year, I'm hosting a Robot video unveiling competition. More info can be found here:
http://suburbots2115.wordpress.com/ruv-comp/
I believe your video fits all the requirements. Would you consider joining for the chance to win bragging rights and a PNG image file badge? All you have to do is post your team name and number and a link to your video on this CD thread:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...threadid=88184
Thank You
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Great music selection and a front-contending bot as usual. I got some interest in creating an offseason nonadrive based on this video, but I'm still fairly certain it's beyond our fabrication abilities. Maybe we'll do a 12fps+ slide drive instead.

Those of us who never saw 67's linkage are left to ponder the way the 148 linkage works. Is it like the locomotive linkages on old-school trains?
Iím talking about the real fundamentals of being an empowered, self-directed human being. Creativity. Curiosity. Resilience to distraction. Patience with others. And to make these all possible: self-reliance ó an unswerving willingness to take responsibility for your life...

How to Make Trillions of Dollars

Want to be a better cook? Do 5 recipes from Plenty on 5 weeknights after work. Eat the leftovers for lunch.
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM
TruSS So hard
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I've got a question. This question isn't a criticism disguised as a question.

What reasons would a team want to deviate from the "standard" method of powering an arm by bolting a sprocket to it and chaining it off a high reduction gearmotor? Basically, what are the advantages of the cool linkage pushing up on your arm as opposed to driving the rotational joint of the arm?

I've never learned much about arms and I don't understand the advantage or disadvantage of either system, other than CG placement.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)

My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
AKA: Adam Bochek
FRC #2200 (MMRambotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Bochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to Bochek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post

What reasons would a team want to deviate from the "standard" method of powering an arm by bolting a sprocket to it and chaining it off a high reduction gearmotor? Basically, what are the advantages of the cool linkage pushing up on your arm as opposed to driving the rotational joint of the arm?

I've never learned much about arms and I don't understand the advantage or disadvantage of either system, other than CG placement.

I had the same thoughts, and can't seem to find a reason besides CG.

Defiantly interested to know.

- Bochek
http://www.watchfirstnow.com
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post

CG isn't reason enough?

One other reason is my hatred of chain, but mainly for CG reasons.
I would also suspect this is lighter than an equivalent low-gearbox + chain + sprocket...

Plus... c'mon... DOUBLE FOURBAR!
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Jno
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Jonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
HOOWWW DOESS IT WORK??!?!?
K-Botics Team 2809 Founding Mentor ('09-'11)
Queen's University Mechanical Engineering, Applied Science '11

Crescent Robotics Team 610 Alumni
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
AKA: Adam Bochek
FRC #2200 (MMRambotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Bochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to Bochek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
CG isn't reason enough?

One other reason is my hatred of chain, but mainly for CG reasons.
I would also suspect this is lighter than an equivalent low-gearbox + chain + sprocket...

Now I must ask, where does your hatred of chain come from? Honestly The only time i have ever had problems is when it is very very poorly tensioned.

-Bochek
http://www.watchfirstnow.com
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bochek View Post
Now I must ask, where does your hatred of chain come from? Honestly The only time i have ever had problems is when it is very very poorly tensioned.

-Bochek
You hit a point in design where you almost get bored, and you have to go further and try new things.

Chain is functional, 148's goals are higher than achieving functionality. There were some benefits (some may say they're small, I disagree) to this design over chain and they designed for that. I imagine never having to break chain, tension chain, deal with chain growing, etc. are pretty nice. I would imagine their goal is to keep making cool, great performing stuff, while never having to do repair or maintenance.

Like us on Facebook!
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of ALL our robots!
  #74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
AKA: Mason Markee
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)

Rookie Year: 2002
MasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, my god. Double fourbar! What does it mean?!

Its so vivid!
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonMM View Post
Oh, my god. Double fourbar! What does it mean?!

Its so vivid!
Lololololol

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495

['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929
['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: