Go to Post There is a fine line between genius and insanity, watch your step! - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: How far can your human player consistantly throw
Into your scoring zone 25 30.86%
Across the center line 17 20.99%
To the end of the lane 9 11.11%
No practice with throwing tubes 23 28.40%
Does not throw consistanly anywhere 7 8.64%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
AKA: Brendan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs/Looking for one near Purdue)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute
Poll: Human Players

After seeing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lRtC8wBUa0
I was wondering what your human players can consistently throw.
Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Poll: Human Players

I have originally trained my human players to throw all three tubes between the tower and the wall, still in the safe zone. After seeing some videos however, I play on starting distance training tomorrow.
Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I love how everyone's getting freaked out by a miracle shot.

It's pretty easy to throw tubes into the scoring zone, you have to use a different technique than the video to do it though... On my first throw at the practice field, I got a square tube past the midline.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post

It's pretty easy to throw tubes into the scoring zone, you have to use a different technique than the video to do it though... On my first throw at the practice field, I got a square tube past the midline.
Not really freaked out, I would be if we had videos of someone scoring them consistently. I'm also going to assume your talking about rolling the tubes, this works great with the circle, good with the square, and not at all with a triangle. curse our field with 10 foot ceilings. I'm kind of glad I have not scene any feeder robots as I think by the end of the season human players will have taken over their roll.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:57 PM
AKA: Ryan Guinn
FRC #2338 (Gear It Forward), FRC #4096 (CTRL-Z)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
indubitably is a splendid one to beholdindubitably is a splendid one to beholdindubitably is a splendid one to beholdindubitably is a splendid one to beholdindubitably is a splendid one to beholdindubitably is a splendid one to beholdindubitably is a splendid one to behold

I can't imagine we will be seeing anyone throw tubes over the top after week 3, the tube can hit the wall in front of them, another bot, the minibot tower, or even fly out of the field.

too many things that can happen which would give your opponent control of the tube.

FIRST Team 4096 (CTRL-Z): Mentor
FIRST Team 2338 (Gear It Forward): Mentor/Alumnus
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
AKA: Isaak
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2003
Hawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to all

i predict that by the time this season is over a logo will be made by only human players at least once.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawiian Cadder View Post
i predict that by the time this season is over a logo will be made by only human players at least once.
That would be amazing, I can't see more then one tube scored by only a human player in any one match. Also I can't see the triangles flying that far, only circles and squares.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM
AKA: Carl Springli
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)(EWCP)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
KrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjenks548 View Post
Also I can't see the triangles flying that far, only circles and squares.
Can see it and have seen it. The biggest issue I can see with completing logos is the ability of the HP to even score the tubes, let alone on the correct peg 3 times in one match. And then can they do it on the lowest pegs, middle pegs, or upper pegs? I would rather have them get the tubes into the scoring zone can have my robot put them on the top row than have the HPs score them low, at least until there is an alliance with three dominant robots.

2013 UTC Connecticut Regional Quality Award, Safety Award, and Champions (195 & 95)
2013 WPI Regional Quality Award, Safety Award, and Finalists (2791 & 3182)
2012 Northeast Utilities Connecticut Regional Champions (195 & 181)
2012 BAE Granite State Regional Safety Award
2011 BAE Granite State Regional Finalists (131 & 40)
2010 Newton Division Semifinalists (2757 & 668)
2010 WPI Regional Creativity Award, Coopertition Award, and Champions (228 & 230)
2010 BAE Granite State Regional Excellence in Design Award and Entrepreneurship Award
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post

Has anyone on 118 weighed in on whether or not it was actually a miracle shot? They cut immediately after it scores, but no one on the side of the field looks to be watching with much interest. His consistent (at least across the few videos they show) ability to land it right under a scoring peg makes it seem to me like they can do this with fairly frequently. When our human player accidentally scored a ringer on our practice field in 2007 we pretty much exploded.

I agree he won't be scoring every match (or even every event), but putting them right under the peg consistently is a 71/469 style game changer.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Justin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Ridley

I wouldn't call it a miracle, but it's not exactly frequent either. He's done it 3 or 4 times and we've got two on video.

The goal isn't to score the tubes, in fact we'd rather the robot score 'em so we can make sure it's in the right position to make a logo. Consistency in getting them in the end zone is what we're hoping for. Maybe the game will play out so that we don't end up throwing... regardless, he's got a pretty amazing arm and it's fun watching him ring 'em on the pegs.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: