Go to Post Many would say it is both gracious and professional to make sure your robot will not damage another team's robot. - 4throck [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  #376   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Helpdesk
AKA: Matthew Petersen
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
ENIAC is a jewel in the roughENIAC is a jewel in the roughENIAC is a jewel in the roughENIAC is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2012 Game?

Over in one of the joke threads, someone mentioned that 2012 has been designated the Alan Turing Centenary. That would be a good theme for a game. Infinitely long paper tapes/loops of carpet on rollers to simulate the theoretical turing machine? Seems like a likely topic, given the S and T in FIRST.
  #377   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Football. Enough said.
  #378   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
FRC #2866

RB73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Between all the water and ship related hints and the fact that 2012 is the anniversary of the titanic sinking, I wouldn't be surprised if the game involved avoiding "icebergs" or pushing "icebergs" around as a mobile obstacle.
  #379   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2011, 04:05 PM
FRC #2866

RB73 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I just checked bills blog and read the new post. This passage give me some ideas.

"Plan now, how will your team handle bad weather, unexpected power outages, cold and flu season, delayed shipments and anything else that might crop up during build season?"

I think this supports the claims that it will be titanic themed. The whole bad weather and unexpected obstacles seems to hint towards icebergs.
  #380   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2011, 04:11 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB73 View Post
So I just checked bills blog and read the new post. This passage give me some ideas.

"Plan now, how will your team handle bad weather, unexpected power outages, cold and flu season, delayed shipments and anything else that might crop up during build season?"

I think this supports the claims that it will be titanic themed. The whole bad weather and unexpected obstacles seems to hint towards icebergs.
Nope. If you remember the storms in the Northeast back in February 2003, those delayed shipping by two days (teams couldn't get to their robots). The next year, KOP snafus caused another 2-day delay.

FIRST hasn't delayed ship date/bag date since then. Weather? Just get it in the transportation device. Power out? Same. Disease strikes team members? Sorry, but the time out of the lab might do them good. Ship anyway. AndyMark hits a supplier backlog? Work through it.

In other words: Plan for build delays to happen and develop contingency plans. The robot goes in the bag on Bag Day, and not after.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #381   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I do stuff.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
FRC #1124 (The ÜberBots), FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Nope. If you remember the storms in the Northeast back in February 2003, those delayed shipping by two days (teams couldn't get to their robots). The next year, KOP snafus caused another 2-day delay.
And a lot of us in the northeast got hit with a snowstorm on Halloween weekend, and parts of CT got really slammed - we lost 8 days of school. From the way things look, going to be a long and snowy winter, and Bill probably wants to get that argument out of the way early.
  #382   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
That one loose PWM...
AKA: Ernst
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2011
ZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to beholdZehP is a splendid one to behold

A few more anniversaries in 2012:

1842 - Doppler Effect -> Kinect related?
1912 - Continental Drift -> Moving field parts?
1912 - X-Ray Diffraction ->Kinect related?
1942 - First nuclear reactor built -> This could be fun
1952 - Polio vaccine
1972 - Prozac -> Depressed Minibots?
  #383   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
AKA: Nick Finn
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

DSM33 is a jewel in the roughDSM33 is a jewel in the roughDSM33 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to DSM33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehP View Post
people depressed about more minibots?

I just want a unique game this year. Something more interesting and challenging than a redo of a previous year's game.

#384   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:52 PM
FRC #3098

3098callahan is an unknown quantity at this point

like maybe a unified game manipulator (not like the lunacy wheels of death) and then you get into some really cool designs to manipulate it to scoring points... idk how the new minibot idea would fit in[/quote]

that would be awesome but it could be football and the minibot could be the football
  #385   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
FF: Curiosity
AKA: Walter
FRC #3397 (Robolions)
Team Role: Leadership

LedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3098callahan View Post
that would be awesome but it could be football and the minibot could be the football
I enjoy this idea

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)

FRC 3397 The Robolions

Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.

FLL Referee (2012-Present)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed

Robolions Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robolions3397?ref=hl
  #386   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Helpdesk
AKA: Matthew Petersen
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)

ENIAC is a jewel in the roughENIAC is a jewel in the roughENIAC is a jewel in the roughENIAC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehP View Post

1842 - Doppler Effect -> Kinect related?
1912 - Continental Drift -> Moving field parts?
1912 - X-Ray Diffraction ->Kinect related?
1942 - First nuclear reactor built -> This could be fun
1952 - Polio vaccine
Combined with the Turing year, we could have something celebrating either the Dawn of Nuclear Power or the Dawn of Computing.
  #387   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Trying to program the swerve drive
AKA: Alex
FRC #2421 (Rolling Thunder Robotics)

buildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud ofbuildmaster5000 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3098callahan View Post
If there were points awarded based on the distruction of the minibot, then I am sure many teams would come up with EXCELLENT solutions, and score many points.

2010 Washington DC Regional: Engineering Excellence Award
  #388   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
FRC #0296 (Northern Knights)

Erik Huang is a jewel in the roughErik Huang is a jewel in the roughErik Huang is a jewel in the rough

Haven't some hints already been dropped at BB? Apparently there's an official list of field parts (http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2011...me-hint-1.html)

Also, this year is going to be the heaviest field since they began. Bowling balls may or may not be included...
  #389   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:19 PM
FRC 3260 - SHARP
AKA: Eddie
FRC #3260 (SHARP)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
eddie12390 is a jewel in the rougheddie12390 is a jewel in the rougheddie12390 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
It would depend on the implementation of the Kinect. Odds are, the Kinect will not be robot mounted because of interference reasons.
I personally have used 3 Kinects in the same area for 3D imaging (playing with the Microsoft API) and just generally testing different features of the Kinect with a large number in a small area and I ran into very little issues with things like skeleton tracking.

Lighting was an issue, though. If there was not enough ambient light the skeleton would tend to do some crazy things. When one part of your body is no longer visible it sort of "guesses" and starts to seem as if you are flailing your arm around.

As for a use on the robot, I can't see it happening. They are EXTREMELY fragile. If they are used, they will definitely need to be protected.

Last edited by eddie12390 : 12-10-2011 at 06:27 PM.
  #390   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Former Prez of Making Things Go
AKA: Jake Potter
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Rookie Year: 2008
Ninja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie12390 View Post
I personally have used 3 Kinects in the same area for 3D imaging (playing with the Microsoft API) and just generally testing different features of the Kinect with a large number in a small area and I ran into very little issues with things like skeleton tracking.

Lighting was an issue, though. If there was not enough ambient light the skeleton would tend to do some crazy things. When one part of your body is no longer visible it sort of "guesses" and starts to seem as if you are flailing your arm around.

As for a use on the robot, I can't see it happening. They are EXTREMELY fragile. If they are used, they will definitely need to be protected.
I believe there is also a problem with interfacing with the cRIO. IIRC, the only way to use it is with a Linux or Windows 7 computer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: