OCCRA
Go to Post Just wear your safety glasses. They can be stylish, too! - Eugenia Gabrielov [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
the Dreamer
AKA: Alex
FRC #4334 (Alberta Tech Alliance)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
lemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond repute
Montana Area Regional?

I live in Calgary, AB, Canada and we are trying to figure out which regional(s) we will visit next year, there are many in a ring about 14-20 hours from us, but nothing closer. I was wondering is there has been discussion of starting a regional in northern region 8 (Montana, Idaho, North & South Dakota and Nebraska)?

Thanks,

Lemiant
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: Montana Area Regional?

Not to my knowledge. I think there's been discussion of a team in the Rapid City area, but there are currently:

--zero teams in Nebraska
--zero teams in South Dakota
--Three teams in North Dakota--attending the Minnesota regionals. One of the three may be interested in going west/southwest; maybe 2. The third is solidly in the eastern side of the state.
--Three teams in Wyoming (who would presumably also be interested in a regional in that area)--2 in the western part and 1 in the eastern
--6 teams in Montana, scattered around the state
--13 teams in Idaho

Best bet to get a regional discussion going there would be the Idaho/western Montana/western Wyoming teams, then reach for the eastern Montana/eastern Wyoming/western ND teams.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM
AKA: Dirk
FRC #3562 (LiveWire)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
legogeek24 has a spectacular aura aboutlegogeek24 has a spectacular aura aboutlegogeek24 has a spectacular aura about

An Idaho regional would be very convenient, but I just don't feel there's enough interest in the area to make it happen anytime soon. Salt Lake City has several teams very close by, and that regional isn't doing the greatest. I'd venture to say it was actually a good deal better last year, it's already going downhill from the feel of it this year.

edit: This post was way too harsh in retrospect, I apologize. I was mentally comparing it to well established, large regionals like Portland and Seattle. For year two, Utah is doing excellent. While it doesn't compare to the larger regionals in aspects due just to size, it has a certain atmosphere that distinguishes it, and there are a couple awesome teams I remember right off the top of my head. It has a very positive environment, and I definitely had a great time when I competed there last year

Last edited by legogeek24 : 05-24-2011 at 05:28 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:06 AM
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
mwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud ofmwibbels has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiant View Post
I live in Calgary, AB, Canada and we are trying to figure out which regional(s) we will visit next year, there are many in a ring about 14-20 hours from us, but nothing closer. I was wondering is there has been discussion of starting a regional in northern region 8 (Montana, Idaho, North & South Dakota and Nebraska)?
No specifics, but this year we heard repeated rumours of a Spokane regional for next year. Suspect that would be closer to you than the other options.

Personally think that the Utah regional is an under appreciated gem of an event - though with the BioMechs, Zombots, and Eagle Robotics coming up to participate this year, the recognition of the great aspects of the regional are going to spread pretty quickly beyond Utah and Idaho.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Technology Education, PFHS
AKA: Sal
FRC #4520 (Roboteknix)
Team Role: Coach

techedguy is just really nicetechedguy is just really nicetechedguy is just really nicetechedguy is just really nicetechedguy is just really nice

You say Spokane, I heard Cheney (30-45 minutes outside Spokane). While this isn't huge, it does mess with transportation and hotel issues if it's actually hosted at EWU instead of something like the Spokane Convention Center...wait and see I suppose...

I am not who I hope to be, but I am trying. I am giving it my all to improve me; and Iím thankful at the end of each day that Iím not the guy I used to be.

FRC #4520 - Misfit Toys

2012 Spokane Regional WFA
2009 Idaho GIANTS Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
FRC #2147

grosh is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at a meeting last month were plans were being made to start a regional at Eastern Washington University. EWU is a few miles outside of Spokane and about thirty miles from the North Idaho border. This may be a good option.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
the Dreamer

lemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosh View Post
I was at a meeting last month were plans were being made to start a regional at Eastern Washington University. EWU is a few miles outside of Spokane and about thirty miles from the North Idaho border. This may be a good option.
That would definitely be a good option. (4 hours close than the next alternative).
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
FRC 1891 alumni 2012
AKA: Justin Rueb
FRC #1891 (Bullbots)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
JustinRueb1891 is a jewel in the roughJustinRueb1891 is a jewel in the roughJustinRueb1891 is a jewel in the roughJustinRueb1891 is a jewel in the rough

There was talk of a potential Idaho regional next year, but I believe we need 3-5 more teams in the state to qualify. I guess we better start recruiting
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:53 AM
the Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRueb1891 View Post
There was talk of a potential Idaho regional next year, but I believe we need 3-5 more teams in the state to qualify. I guess we better start recruiting
For anything in the Idaho area, you can count on one more (we plan on going to at least two regionals next year). Also, are these plans far enough along that we have an idea of the week?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2011, 05:41 PM
AKA: Porter Henze
FRC #1891 (Bull Bots)

Rookie Year: 2010
Henzado is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiant View Post
For anything in the Idaho area, you can count on one more (we plan on going to at least two regionals next year). Also, are these plans far enough along that we have an idea of the week?
There are no definitive plans for an Idaho Regional (no matter how much we would want one). However, we just recently recieved the Utah regional, so it will be a couple years, unless unprecedented growth occurs.

Even if there is no regional in Idaho, there is a plan in the works for an offseason event in the Boise area. No definites yet, but we are working pretty hard on it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: