Go to Post If you base a team on how well you do on the field you have a much harder time winning. - Bob Steele [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Robotics Education and Curriculum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:17 AM
AKA: Manny
no team (AHERT Ravens)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2008
AHERTraven is an unknown quantity at this point
New FTC team info

We are a new FTC team, I am the coach is there a good resource that describes team member roles and responsibilities.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
FTC #3555
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
Techhexium has a spectacular aura aboutTechhexium has a spectacular aura about
Re: New FTC team info

Welcome to FTC! There are resources that I know of. Your question isn't too specific to FTC so you should ask questions elsewhere in the forum.

FTC specific resources:

FTC Robotics: Tips, Tricks, Strategies, and Secrets is a book made by a FTC team which contain advice for all aspects of FTC. It costs $10 but well worth the investment.

Resources from CMU, who make RobotC and has a lot of resources on programming with NXT and TETRIX.

Coaches Manual for FTC teams made by FIRST

FTC Blog by the FTC director.

Also, be sure to keep in touch with your regional director so you know what's going on during the FTC season. And if you can, have your team go to the kickoff event if there is one to meet fellow teams.

Last edited by Techhexium : 07-23-2011 at 11:49 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
5th Gear Developer & Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
VRC #0042 (Mostly Harmless)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHERTraven View Post
We are a new FTC team, I am the coach is there a good resource that describes team member roles and responsibilities.
In general, I think you will be pretty lucky finding out what teams need to accomplish, but I don't think you will find any hard and fast rules about how to divide those goals into roles and responsibilties assigned to individual team members.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Always attempting to push the limit
FTC #0309 (Killingly Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Tassemet is a jewel in the roughTassemet is a jewel in the roughTassemet is a jewel in the roughTassemet is a jewel in the rough

As a person who went from making the coffee to team leader, you'll find that the roles your students take in the club will be formed around ingenuity, charisma, and skills with their hands or computer.

Those good with their hands will do the engineering and those who can will be code monkies. Also, depending on the number in your club/class, that too will determine who does what. From experience, we had 8-12 people dedicated on an almost daily basis, and the rest participated when they were able to.

As the coach, I highly reccommend you know the rules of Magic: The Gathering to referee the coders, and you have basic first aid skills to bandage the engineers.

All kidding aside, this forum I have used for 3 years as a read reference, and it seems to be the number one place to come for anything FTC related. And if they don't have it here, they know people who can find it, or make it.

Engineers vs. Programmers:
Engineers: If it's not on fire, it's a programming error.
Programmers: If it compiles, it's a hardware error.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM
AKA: Manny
no team (AHERT Ravens)
Team Role: Coach

AHERTraven is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the great feedback and quick response.
The core of our team has been in First for three years and we are eager to help expand FTC into New Mexico.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: