OCCRA
Go to Post Arguing about the rules doesn't change them. Fighting doesn't change them-and neither does feeling righteous. - David66 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
RIP Art Anderson, age 76, TechnoKat mentor and Boy Scout Leader

All,

With a heavy heart, I sadly pass along tragic news about Art Anderson. Art passed away this past Saturday afternoon. Here is an article explaining what happened.

Art was a husband, father, grandfather, and friend to many. Art was an electrical mentor on the TechnoKats, FRC team 45 since 2003. He was a retired electrical engineer and manager at Delphi. He liked to show the students how to wire up the robot, spec out the right gauge wiring, solder connectors and crimp ring terminals. Well, except for that one night that Kyle Love, Michael Hill, Art, Nick Boyce, and I ripped out all of the wiring of the 2006 robot and then re-wired it 2 days before we shipped it. But, that's a story for another day.

Art got involved with TechnoKats after his grandson, Corey and his son, Alan got involved as team members. Alan's wife, Carol, and Art's wife, Bette, also got involved in supporting the team. For the Andersons, the TechnoKats is a family effort. Art and Bette are grandparent-figures to all of the students on the team. Also, at any events the TechnoKats would attend, you would find Art as the "spare parts guy" and Bette at the registration desk. Alan would be running from team to team, helping with their software, while Carol would usually be involved as a querer. Art ran the spare parts checkout at the Championships for the past 4-5 years. He would do what he could to make sure the teams got the parts they needed.

Also, you might have met Art at IRI or the CAGE Match. He and Mike Carmain are the guys who always wired up the pits, and ran the electrical power to the playing field. Art was 76 years old, but he still got in a lift to drape the wires over the rafters so that each team could get 120 volts. Oh, that reminds me: if I ever changed the pit layout at IRI, Art would give me a 2-page, detailed letter about how I messed with his pit layout. His detailed effort helped make that event great. Lord knows that he had more attention to those details than I did. If the pit layout at IRI is messed up next year, we'll know why.

Art and Bette also were very good friends to many. They opened up their home during their holiday times of Hanukkah, even letting us Christians partake in their celebrations. My wife and I were able to teach our kids about other religious customs this way, and I am thankful to the Andersons.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Art was a local Boy Scout leader for 51 years.

Maybe you knew Art. Maybe you got a spare part from him at a Regional or the Championships. Maybe he asked you to step out of the way when he was running cable in the IRI pits. Maybe he loaned you some wire for your robot. Maybe you already miss Art like I do. Please tell us all about it here in this thread.

The gentleman on the far left in this picture is Art.

Thanks,
Andy Baker

Last edited by Andy Baker : 08-22-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: finally got the pic link to work
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Boiler Up
AKA: John Downey
FRC #4302 (Robophins)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
jtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant future
Re: RIP Art Anderson, age 76, TechnoKat mentor and Boy Scout Leader

This is a real tragedy. I would have a difficult time thinking of a more kind and friendly person than Art. My thoughts are with his family.
Midwest Regional Planning Committee - Member (2012-current)
Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee - Member (2011-current)
Robot Inspector (2008-current)
Purdue FIRST Programs - Staff Advisor (2008-2011)
Lafayette-Jefferson High School/Precision Guessworks (FRC 1646) - Mentor (2006-2011)

"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it on a large scale." -Tom Gilb
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:42 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

It was a huge punch in the gut when I read Alan's Facebook post this morning and then went straight the the newspaper website to read the news, unbelievable and shocking.
I remember the last conversation I had with Art at IRI this year and as usual he had a smile on his face. FIRST in Indiana just won't be the same without that smile at every event.
When setup time comes for CAGE match this October I don't think I will be able to do it without tears. But I'll remember that smile and it will be alright.

My thoughts and condolences are with the Anderson family, they are in my prayers.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

This is absolutely awful news. My condolences to Art's family including the TechnoKats.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Working Towards A Yellow Shirt
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)

Rookie Year: 2007
P.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of light

At first I read the title and I was filled with sympathy for everyone close to Mr. Anderson, family friends and team. But then I read the news story and I'm even more sad. Why does this kind of stuff have to happen in the world? Why is it always the best people who have the worst things happen to them? I never had the pleasure to meet Mr. Anderson, and I can infer from what I've read here and other things I've heard about him that it would have indeed been a pleasure.

My deepest condolences to his family and everyone else who knew and loved him, I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

Referee-Traverse City District, Troy District, MARC, IRI, Kettering Kickoff (2011) Kettering District, Waterford District, West Michigan District, Northville District, Troy District, Kettering Kickoff, WMRI (2012) Waterford District, West Michigan District, Troy District, Bedford District, FRC Championship-Curie, Michigan Science Center Invitational, Kettering Kickoff, WMRI, Bloomfield Girls Robotics Competition (2013) Centerline District, Kettering District, Howell District, Buckeye Regional, Waterford District, Lansing District, FRC Championship-Curie, MARC, Kettering Kickoff, GLBBB (HR) (2014)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:25 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first time posting on this forum in 2.5 years. I've decided to "come out of retirement" so to say so I could pay a bit of respect to Art with others who knew him well. This is a terrible tragedy, and I wish the best for the Anderson family. Art was a great mentor, engineer and a friend. He will be missed.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I first met the Andersons (Art, Bette, Carol and Alan) when a group of folks decided to pull together a Seder at the World Championship in 2005 because the dates coincided with the Jewish holiday of Passover. This idea was a little bit crazy on a lot of fronts, but it happened (and set the stage for another Seder a couple of years later) because of a group of volunteers who, in very FIRST-like fashion, made it happen. The Andersons were very involved with making this Seder a reality.

In subsequent years, I saw Art and Bette at the DC regional and the CMP. As Andy has said, Art was the master of spare parts.

My heart aches for this family.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Design, Build, Repeat
AKA: Peyton Yeung
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Rookie Year: 2009
Peyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud ofPeyton Yeung has much to be proud of

Art has been a great mentor on our team and it is very saddening to see him go. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say he will be greatly missed. I know he was a great mentor to the students of our team as well as to his boy scout troop. Every year Art would bring up something important that we missed or something that wouldn't work, effectively saving us a lot of work.

It's events like this that make me cherish the time I have with those in my life.
2011 CAGE Quarter finalist & Midwest Semi finalist
2010 CAGE Quarter finalist, Boilermaker Champion, & Washington DC Quarter Finalist

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Andy - you got the printed version two-page letter about the pit layout. Whenever I asked about tweaking it for our much smaller event, I had the honor of receiving the letter orally. While about 80% of it flew over my head, I earnestly listened and tried to keep up because it was obvious I was the the lone member of the audience of a master describing his craft.

I believe the true measure of a man is his family. If you went to an event in which 45 participated, and you didn't meet Art, then you undoubtedly met Alan, Carol, or Bette. I always saw them in the pits; I just hardly ever saw them in 45's pit. Only to run there to pick something up to bring to another team. It was apparent that Art instilled in his family the great honor and privilege that comes from helping others. They always walked into a pit with a look of deep concern, and they left with a grin. Heaven knows they've saved our bacon several times through the years.

The first year of CAGE Match, I didn't make it clear what our pit needs were. Not having brought everything we needed, Art made the drive from Kokomo to Indy to Kokomo to Indy on the Friday before, stayed until about 1am getting things ready, drove back to Kokomo, and was back at Indy by 7 the next morning. All without a cross word or disgusted look. His devotion was unparalleled and unquestioned.

As we were preparing supper this evening, my wife asked me if there was anything on CD about Art - I replied there is. Since her hands were messy, she asked if I could read it to her.
I said no, I can't.

Scott - you're right. Friday before CAGE Match will be surreal, and I'm sure we'll all need a hug or three.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Controls Engineer
AKA: chakorules
None #1501 (Team THRUST)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Chris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris_Elston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Elston

I just don't know what to say. I have chills in my body after reading this. I just don't understand why things like this happen to good people.

I am so sad to hear this. The Anderson family does nothing but good for their community and the youth they are surrounded by.

My prayers to the Anderson family. I am sorry this has happened.

Favorite CD quote:
"That can't be their 'bot. not nearly enough (if any) rivets to be a 1501 machine." ~RogerR: Team #1369
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Strategical Tactitian
AKA: Garrick
no team (SparX)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
GCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud of

Despite the fact that I have never met him, I am deeply sorry for the loss of Art.

My (and 1126's) condolences go out to his family and to team 45.

Check us out at:
http://www.gosparx.org
http://www.facebook.com/SparX1126
I Love Two Pencil Designs!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
FF: Automated Scoring
FRC #1529
Team Role: Alumni

bam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond reputebam-bam has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't know what to say. What a sad circumstances of events that 45 must suffer.

Mr. Art, I have never met you, but I am touched of your dedication to 45 and your legacy that the Anderson will inherit. I can promise you that Alan and the rest of the family will uphold that legacy with all their hearts.

RIP
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Working Towards A Yellow Shirt
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)

Rookie Year: 2007
P.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. is a glorious beacon of light

So I just went on to MSN to check my email, and I saw this story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44224604...me_and_courts/

Seeing this story make the national news hit me even harder how much of a screwed up world we live in.

Once again, my prayers go out to all who loved Mr. Anderson.

Referee-Traverse City District, Troy District, MARC, IRI, Kettering Kickoff (2011) Kettering District, Waterford District, West Michigan District, Northville District, Troy District, Kettering Kickoff, WMRI (2012) Waterford District, West Michigan District, Troy District, Bedford District, FRC Championship-Curie, Michigan Science Center Invitational, Kettering Kickoff, WMRI, Bloomfield Girls Robotics Competition (2013) Centerline District, Kettering District, Howell District, Buckeye Regional, Waterford District, Lansing District, FRC Championship-Curie, MARC, Kettering Kickoff, GLBBB (HR) (2014)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I volunteer at events way too much.
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know Art, however the news of this is sending chills through me.

As a youth in both of the programs he was involved in, it just is very disturbing that we lost a great mentor and leader in that way.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Anderson Family, the TechnoKats, the troop Art was involved in, and anyone else who loved him dearly.

RIP Art.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Impossible to rain on my parade.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2003
Barry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Barry Bonzack Send a message via Skype™ to Barry Bonzack

Terrible awful news. My heartfelt prayers go out to the friends, family, and community of Art.

Jan 12, Emceeing at FTC at University High School
Jan 26, Emceeing FTC Pinellas League Championship Seminole High School in Tampa
Feb 2, Emceeing FTC Tesla League Championship at Cocoa Beach High School
Mar 2, Emceeing FTC State Championship at Embry Riddle Aeronautics University in Daytona
Mar 3, Volunteering for FLL State Championship at UCF in Orlando
Mar 7-9, Announcing FRC Orlando regional
Mar 29-30 Announcing FRC South Florida Regional
Apr 24-27 FTC World Championship in St. Louis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: