OCCRA
Go to Post Anything is capable of happening in FIRST. - Dorienne [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Mentor,QCR Planning, OhioFIRST-Pres
FRC #1038 (The Thunderhawks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Jimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jimmy Nichols
Re: RIP Art Anderson, age 76, TechnoKat mentor and Boy Scout Leader

I never formally met Art, but I could tell he was the type of person that that didn't matter. I could walk up to him and just start a conversation or ask for help and he would give it.

Although I didn't know him very well, I know I will miss seeing him at competitions and at IRI. To me Art was like a warm blanket, you felt good having him there.

2013 - Crossroads Team Spirit,Quarter-Finalists - Queen City WFFA - Paul George,Quarter-Finalists - Ohio FRC State Championship Champions
2012 - Queen City Volunteer of the Year,Team Spirit,Finalists - Smoky Mountains Engineering Inspiration,Quarterfinalists
2011 - Pittsburgh Semifinalists - Buckeye Engineering Excellence Award,Coopertition Award,SemiFinalists
2010 - Pittsburgh Judge’s Award,Quarterfinalists - Buckeye Industrial Design Award,Finalists - IRI Mentor Round Champions
2009 - Buckeye GM Industrial Design,Champions
2008 - Midwest Engineering Inspiration,Quarterfinalist - IRI Semifinalist
2007 - Pittsburgh Motorola Quality,Finalist - Buckeye Rockwell Automation Innovative Controls,Finalist - Championship Newton Quarterfinalist
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Boiler up!
AKA: Dustin Shadbolt
FRC #1555 (Team PULSE)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Dustin Shadbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin Shadbolt

When I read this in class, I had to take a moment and step out of class. I remember Art helping my team at CAGE and Boilermaker. He was running the encryption kiosk and was trying to help us get on to the field when our radio kept crapping out. He was an awesome guy and always seemed to be smiling. I'm praying for the Anderson family and Team 45. I really don't understand why bad things happen to good people.

Last edited by Dustin Shadbolt : 08-23-2011 at 06:37 AM.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Kris Carey
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2006
WRENCHMOM will become famous soon enough

I cannot put into words how shocking this story is! My heart goes out to the entire family as well as to the scouts that witnessed this terrible act. I personally never met Art, but just reading all of the posts by those that knew him makes me feel as if I did.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
Team 1625 - Winnovation
2009 IRI Champions - Thanks 469 & 68
2009 Midwest Regional Champions thanks 111 and 1675
2009 Midwest Chairman's Award
2009 WI Regional Champions thanks 2039 & 2194
2008 CO Regional Champions thanks 1592 & 1296

2008 Midwest Autodesk Visualiztion Award
2008 Midwest Judges Award
2008 CO Engineering Inspiration Award
2007 CMP Autodesk Visualization Award
2007 IL Delphi "Driving Tommorrow's Technology" Award
2007 MO Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award
2006 WI Regional Champions
2006 MO Delphi "Driving Tommorrow's Technology" Award
2006 MO Autodesk Visualization Award
2006 CMP Finalist - Galileo Division
2005 MO Xerox Creativity Award
2005 MO Rookie All-Star
2005 MO Highest Rookie Seed
2005 MO Regional Champions
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM
MAR District Supporter
AKA: Rizzo
FRC #1640 (Sab-BOT-age)

Rookie Year: 2000
Mike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud ofMike Rizzo has much to be proud of

I can't believe it. I just meet him at IRI. I Introduced him at out table for the Mentor Dinner. He was such a nice guy. I'm so sorry to hear this.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Team Leader
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Jim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond repute

This is truly one of the most terrible and random events that I have ever heard of. How tragic! Our sympathies and prayers go out to Art's family, the Boy Scouts, and The Technokats Robotics team in this time of loss. Art will be missed by many.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

I wish I had the opportunity to meet Art although I am starting to feel I knew him through all of these wonderful recollections and the warm embrace from the FIRST family.

My heart cries out for the Anderson family.

#37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

My heartfelt sympathies Alan and family.

"I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness does not come from being rich, nor merely being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so you can enjoy life when you are a man.

Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one.

But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. 'Be Prepared' in this way, to live happy and to die happy - stick to your Scout Promise always - even after you have ceased to be a boy - and God help you to do it."

Baden-Powell (final farewell to Scouts)

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 08-23-2011 at 03:05 PM.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
KHall - 2171 Crown Point IN
FRC #2171 (RoboDogs)

Rookie Year: 2008
KHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud ofKHall has much to be proud of

I knew this man, heck I’ll come right out and say it: I loved this man.

How could you not love such a kind, gentle, patient and generous man? Words fail me here. The term may be technically inappropriate, but it’s the only word I know that describes people like Art: he was a saint.

Shock, disbelief, anger, and now just tears. There is no Earthly or logical way to understand these events. It seems as if old scratch found a troubled mind and used it to destroy a major force for good.

This should cause us to stop and think about what we are really doing at FIRST. Are we just training engineers? Are we simply steering young people towards success? There is something deeper happening here. FIRST has a stated goal of changing our culture. By doing this, we’ve joined the fight against ignorance and corruption. It is an ancient fight, and looking around the world today it may seem like we are losing ground to this enemy. But we must never give up.

I urge the FIRST community to think of Art often. Remember his kindness, his patience, and his generosity. We must keep Art alive in our hearts by following his example. We should honor the memory of his life’s triumphs by doing as he did. We have lost a battle, but we cannot allow the enemy to defeat us.

With great sadness, my wife Lori and I offer our condolences to the family and to all those who loved this wonderful man.
As is our custom to say: May his memory be eternal!

Keith Hall
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
iScout
AKA: Brian, Frenchie, or that guy
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
Frenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the rough

My condolences. I only met him in passing, but he's one of the people that make FIRST the great culture it is. He'll be deeply missed.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
The Crazy Blonde
AKA: Cassie
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 1997
Dancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dancin103

This is such a horrible tragedy. Art was such a great guy. My thoughts and prayers are with team 45, and Art's friends and family.

2010 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Cathy Beck
2011 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Jack Tusman
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:02 AM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Any midwest events, championships, or IRI that I have traveled to; I have always seen Art in the pit. I passed by him so many times while he greeted me with a smile. Last year at Championship, he gave us a hand by lending us parts and giving ideas.

I am just at loss of words where I don't understand why this happens. I see stories everyday but it doesn't struck to me as this story has.

I am deeply sorry to hear this news. Mine and Team 108's condolence to Art's family, and to the family of Technokats.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

All,

Since many folks from across the country have sent letters and made posts about Art and the Anderson family, I thought that I should make a follow-up post. Many TechnoKats attended Art Anderson's funeral today. About a dozen kids got out of school, joined about 8-9 mentors and we headed down to Indy for the ceremony. I was impressed by the formal dress that the students wore for this event.

The ceremony was attended by many, many friends and family. There were a few hundred crammed into the room. The back wall was lined with Boy Scouts and Scout Leaders. A young female rabbi from Kokomo's Temple B'nai Israel presided over the event and did a fantastic job. She told us about all that Art is and has been involved in, which was surprising to all in the room. I didn't know that Art started the University of Illinois college radio station while he studied there. I didn't know that Art built and flew his own plane for family vacations. I didn't know that Art and Alan would build their own computers in the 70's and 80's.

The ladies in Art's family sang beautiful songs during the service, and his daughters spoke about Art's work for the local Temple, the TechnoKats, and what all he did for his family.

Also, a father and son who have been involved in the Boy Scouts for a long time both spoke to us. The father served as a Scout Master with Art, and told us all about how Art would always fix everything (which was the theme throughout this ceremony and his lifetime). Then, this father introduced his son to speak, but before handing over the microphone, he asked all of the scouts in the room to recite the Boy Scout Oath. We saw about 60 men and boys stand up right away and begin saying their oath. Then, slowly, there was an older gentlemen, most likely in his late 80's or 90's, sitting to the right of Mary and I, as he joined in with the scouts. When he rose his right hand and made his pledge, most of us reached for our tissues.

After the ceremony, many folks went out to the cemetery for the burial. Later in the day, friends and family started visiting the Anderson family at the shiva at Art and Bette's house. We didn't stay very long there, but it was good to see family and friends, along with the Superintendent of Kokomo Schools pay his respect.

It was a lovely and sad celebration. I was able to print out the kind words in this thread and hand it to Bette. She appreciated what you all have said on ChiefDelphi and the facebook posts.

Sincerely,
Andy Baker
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Team Mom
AKA: Wendy Austin
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2006
wendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even express the feelings in me after hearing about this event. It is always sad when someone you know passes on. Art was loved and respected by so many whose lives he enhanced. I know that the students he inspired will continue on teaching what he taught them to others. This was such a senseless loss that will effect everyone who knew him. My thoughts and prayers alnong with the rest of Exploding Bacons, are with The Andersons, the TechnoKats and his Scout troop
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)

Rookie Year: 2002
Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
... The ceremony was attended by many, many friends and family. There were a few hundred crammed into the room. The back wall was lined with Boy Scouts and Scout Leaders. A young female rabbi from Kokomo's Temple B'nai Israel presided over the event and did a fantastic job ... The ladies in Art's family sang beautiful songs during the service, and his daughters spoke about Art's work for the local Temple, the TechnoKats, and what all he did for his family ... After the ceremony, many folks went out to the cemetery for the burial. Later in the day, friends and family started visiting the Anderson family at the shiva at Art and Bette's house. We didn't stay very long there, but it was good to see family and friends, along with the Superintendent of Kokomo Schools pay his respect. It was a lovely and sad celebration. I was able to print out the kind words in this thread and hand it to Bette. She appreciated what you all have said on ChiefDelphi and the facebook posts.
Andy, I really appreciate your posts in this thread - You have done a wonderful job of communicating the feelings and experiences of many of us. I am so glad I was able to attend the funeral today. You perfectly described the service as "a lovely and sad celebration".

I wish I had known Art better. I had no idea what an amazing father, leader, mentor, and friend he was to so many. I hope his family could feel the love for Art in the room today, and I pray that helps temper their sorrow.
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

I'm truly speechless. My family's thoughts and prayers are with Art, his family, and his FIRST friends. This is so shocking and sad.

<3
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward as a mentor & drive coach.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: