OCCRA
Go to Post Our team has a forum..... chiefdelphi.com Ok I had to say it. - Mike Martus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
FIRST Senior Mentor - Louisiana
AKA: Coach Eiland
FRC #3337 (Panthrobotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
MysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MysterE
Curriculum Design

Hi all -

I've been working on determining which curriculum to use for a Robotics course that I want to offer next year. My first inclination is to use a VEX curriculum that makes use of RobotC. The question I have is how well will the skills learned in VEX transfer to FRC?

-Daniel
Head Coach - Team #3337
Team Panthrobotics (Woodlawn HS)
Red Stick Rumble Coordinator
2014 Alamo Quarterfinalist and Alliance Captain | Proud Coach of a Bayou Regional Dean's List Finalist (Witni Widmeier)
2012 Bayou Quarterfinalist
2011 Bayou Regional Winner | Judges Award
2010 Rookie Inspiration Award

Run with patience, lead with peace, compete with ambition, and win with grace.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Has done the math, have you?
AKA: Dave Button
no team (No Team, Changed Schools)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2007
Phyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant future
Re: Curriculum Design

The school district I teach in is implementing VEX into the middle school curriculum, but I dont' think there are any plans to implement at the high school at this time. This is partially due to the "sensitive" area of what department do you stick a "robotics course" into and who is teaching it, though that may be an issue with licensure in our state and not yours.

Clarification: At the middle school level robotics is part of Career and Technical Education and the students in 8th grade use VEX as part of that class, should they choose to take it. If my high school were to implement such a course, I am a Science teacher and the other Coach is a Math teacher, neither of us is licensed to teach CTE so somone else would have to teach it.

I would contact VEX and see what they can provide you.
The Plains, VA

“Simplify and add lightness.”
― Colin Chapman, Team Lotus

Last edited by Phyrxes : 09-28-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added Clarification
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

All mechanical concepts transfer, yes. Software, only processes, etc as the microcontrollers, interfaces, program languages can be different depending on what your FRC programming methods are.

take a look at all of the offerings, here:
http://www.vexrobotics.com/education/curriculum

and if you're still unclear, the teacher's handbook that goes with the classroom competition is a GREAT starter for all pertinent mechanical concepts:
http://www.vexrobotics.com/education.../275-1419.html

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:25 PM
AKA: Christopher Jones
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
CJmango is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CJmango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
Hi all -

I've been working on determining which curriculum to use for a Robotics course that I want to offer next year. My first inclination is to use a VEX curriculum that makes use of RobotC. The question I have is how well will the skills learned in VEX transfer to FRC?

-Daniel
Especially if you are hoping to transfer skills to FRC, why wouldn't you be considering FTC? There is much more to FIRST than the engineering skills and FTC encourages those additional skill-sets. It is also much more well integrated with the community and more supportive of the student-mentor relationship. FTC does support RobotC as well as LabView, which is an extremely common tool in academia and research. As the other reply indicated, the mechanical and likely electrical concepts will otherwise be remain very similar.

If you're only looking for a platform it probably doesn't matter, there are actually plenty of more cost effective options than either, but if you're hoping to educate students, FTC is the way to go. They also do have curriculum developed and it would not be difficult to obtain a copy.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJmango View Post
Especially if you are hoping to transfer skills to FRC, why wouldn't you be considering FTC? There is much more to FIRST than the engineering skills and FTC encourages those additional skill-sets. It is also much more well integrated with the community and more supportive of the student-mentor relationship. FTC does support RobotC as well as LabView, which is an extremely common tool in academia and research. As the other reply indicated, the mechanical and likely electrical concepts will otherwise be remain very similar.

If you're only looking for a platform it probably doesn't matter, there are actually plenty of more cost effective options than either, but if you're hoping to educate students, FTC is the way to go. They also do have curriculum developed and it would not be difficult to obtain a copy.
Vex is a superior choice all around when compared to FTC. The cost is far lower, the components are of higher quality, it's easier and more intuitive to setup, and there are more competitions and curriculum.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:12 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Before this gets off into an Tetrix/FTC vs VEX/VRC debate...

Just remember that VEX was originally developed for FRC teams to use in prototyping, way way back in the day (OK, so it hasn't quite been a decade yet). VEX is cheaper; the strength is at least comparable between the two (unless you're talking about motors that are (mis)used in FRC); both have curriculum. Competitions could be a factor; some areas seem to have better VRC coverage, while others seem to have better FTC coverage.

With those things considered, it's the choice of the educator which curriculum is chosen.

With respect to the original question, they should transfer just fine. It's just a bit bigger of a machine...
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Daniel,
If this adds any weight to the discussion, VEX has been adopted by Project Lead The Way for their curriculum.
www.wildstang.org
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off-topic, but SparkFun is developing a robotics & technology curriculum that may be worthwhile for some teams.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: