OCCRA
Go to Post It's always FIRST season. - Foss@Team176 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence
Bumpers w/pneumatic cylinders

I've had this idea of placing pneumatic cylinders behind our bumpers (see below) for a few possible applications:

1. Shock absorbers: Add a bit of air to small cylinders, small enough to make only a small difference in bumper width from the robot, and use them as shock absorbers for collisions.

2. To use as a "defensive push": Basically, add the cylinders to the the bumpers, and when someone gets a little too close for comfort, we just launch out our bumpers. This could also be used to redirect another robot, or to assist in a pin.

What do you think? Is it legal?

Attachment 11133

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore

Last edited by Andrew Lawrence : 03-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Boiler Strong.
AKA: Ben Carson
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Duke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Duke461
Re: Bumpers w/pneumatic cylinders

Someone will probably get a more technical definition soon, but im too lazy .
The first thing you need to remember is that bumper rules change from year to year, so you can't rule out anything yet.
However, using the 2011 rules, I would say illegal, because there would in a sense be "gaps" in you robot. see here.
Hope this helps,
-duke

EDIT: This should help a lot:

The opposite of excellence is good enough.
2012-2013 President; 2011-2012 Vice President
2011-offseason FRC Student Drive Coach; 2010-11, 2011-2012 VEX Drive Coach
2011, 2010-offseason FRC Driver/Operator
2012, 2011-offseason, 2010-offseason FRC Human Player
Find me on: Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger/Blogspot

Last edited by Duke461 : 11-28-2011 at 09:24 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:21 PM

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke461 View Post
Someone will probably get a more technical definition soon, but im too lazy .
The first thing you need to remember is that bumper rules change from year to year, so you can't rule out anything yet.
However, using the 2011 rules, I would say illegal, because there would in a sense be "gaps" in you robot. see here.
Hope this helps,
-duke
And if you make it so the bumpers go over the gap length?

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Boiler Strong.

Duke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
And if you make it so the bumpers go over the gap length?
Im not sure what you mean here, sorry.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

In past years, you'd be moving the bumpers off of the frame perimeter, or expanding the frame perimeter. This would result in gaps in the bumpers' coverage of the frame perimeter, or a violation of mounting rules.

In other words, if the rules don't change on mounting, you're going to be in trouble with the perimeter coverage rules. This is some of what Duke was getting at--<R07-A> in the 2011 rules.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Im not sure what you mean here, sorry.
Me neither, but it's probably possible. I can think of a few ways, but they would be way too advanced. There are other, simpler ways, but I don't know. Just thinking, that's all.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Boiler Strong.

Quote:
Me neither, but it's probably possible. I can think of a few ways, but they would be way too advanced. There are other, simpler ways, but I don't know. Just thinking, that's all.
Yeah i definitely like the concept.
Maybe you could do what the dragonfly robot did, and then on top of that, those appendages could shoot out with pneumatics. That would be awesome.

Last edited by Duke461 : 11-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah i definitely like the concept.
Maybe you could do what the dragonfly robot did, and then on top of that, those appendages could shoot out with pneumatics. That would be awesome.
I like that, but the goal is to avoid hitting opponents above the bumper line. That's why I had the bumpers move, for more bumper on bumper action, and less robot on other robot killing second robot and disqualifying first robot action, if you know what I mean.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Boiler Strong.

Quote:
I like that, but the goal is to avoid hitting opponents above the bumper line. That's why I had the bumpers move, for more bumper on bumper action, and less robot on other robot killing second robot and disqualifying first robot action, if you know what I mean.
They wouldn't hit above the bumper line. The bumpers, as 3553 did, would be on the ground flush with the real bumpers. Youd simply need some kind of linear slide on the appendages, and the pneumatics would shoot it straight out into the opponents bumper.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
They wouldn't hit above the bumper line. The bumpers, as 3553 did, would be on the ground flush with the real bumpers. Youd simply need some kind of linear slide on the appendages, and the pneumatics would shoot it straight out into the opponents bumper.
I see. I like that! Thanks!

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

I would be VERY cautious with using a drop-down active bumper system. If someone tips over while it's active next to them, you're probably going to get warned, possibly carded and penalized. Also, bear in mind the expansion rules, and that you're putting extra weight in there that could probably be better spent elsewhere.

Just some things to keep in mind.

You *might* be able to pull your first option off within the rules, but the "rigid mounting" might get you, at least last year it would have.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:57 PM

I probably should have said this at first, but unless the game next year and manuel give us a distinct advantage, I doubt I'll ever be using it. I just had the idea, and wanted CD's input. From what I'm hearing, the 1st option may be viable, so I'll test that on my own time.

Thanks everyone!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:16 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
I probably should have said this at first, but unless the game next year and manuel give us a distinct advantage, I doubt I'll ever be using it. I just had the idea, and wanted CD's input. From what I'm hearing, the 1st option may be viable, so I'll test that on my own time.

Thanks everyone!
"Viable" is rather loosely used here, IMO. Under last year's rules, specifically <R07-K>, you'd also need to have the frame perimeter movable to have movable bumpers; that could make life rather "entertaining" with other stuff that needed to attach in that area. You'd also want to pay attention to the pneumatics rules.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
"Viable" is rather loosely used here, IMO. Under last year's rules, specifically <R07-K>, you'd also need to have the frame perimeter movable to have movable bumpers; that could make life rather "entertaining" with other stuff that needed to attach in that area. You'd also want to pay attention to the pneumatics rules.
Well, I do enjoy "entertaining"!

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

From the 2011 FRC Manual
K. BUMPERS must attach to the FRAME PERIMETER of the ROBOT with a rigid fastening system to form a tight, robust connection to the main structure/frame (e.g. not attached with Velcro). The attachment system must be designed to withstand vigorous game play. All removable fasteners (e.g. bolts, locking pins, pip-pins, etc.) will be considered part of the BUMPERS.

A movable bumper in not rigidly mounted.

"Dragonfly" got around this rule because technically their additional drop down bumpers were non-functional decorations, not bumpers.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: