OCCRA
Go to Post Maybe it'll be a bumperless year!!! Nah...FIRST likes those things too much... - Fireworks 234 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Getting IFI onto Wikipedia

So I tried writing an article for IFI on Wikipedia, but they speedy deleted it and the admins won't do anything until I can back it up with authoritive 3rd party sources.

Here's what I got:

I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

EDIT: I've got a draft version at User:Astronouth7303/Innovation First.

Last edited by Astronouth7303 : 12-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting IFI onto Wikipedia

Why don't you just link to
http://www.innovationfirst.com/

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM
An inspired alumnus

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
Why don't you just link to
http://www.innovationfirst.com/
I did. They say I have to prove notability using unaffiliated, authoritative, 3rd party sources. This means that the company website, press releases, and forums are not allowed.

I'm frustrated by the whole thing because the admins basically refused to be helpful.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303 View Post
I did. They say I have to prove notability using unaffiliated, authoritative, 3rd party sources. This means that the company website, press releases, and forums are not allowed.

I'm frustrated by the whole thing because the admins basically refused to be helpful.
This is pretty common on Wikipedia - the burden of proof of worthiness is on the initial contributor.

I will write a stub article later this weekend that meets notability standards and then request deletion review.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
An inspired alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
This is pretty common on Wikipedia - the burden of proof of worthiness is on the initial contributor.

I will write a stub article later this weekend that meets notability standards and then request deletion review.
If you saw the edit, I got a stub of an article going, with a bunch of potential sources I found. My problem at this point is sources to cover the rest of the article.

For example, the relationship between IFI and FIRST is largely undocumented. And while IFI's products get all kinds of press, it seems that IFI itself doesn't have much.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Putting the Jumper in the Bumper
AKA: Ian Thompson
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
Radical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
For example, the relationship between IFI and FIRST is largely undocumented. And while IFI's products get all kinds of press, it seems that IFI itself doesn't have much.
I'm not entirely sure of wikipedia's citing rules, but couldn't you use the old game manuals and their KOP sections as citations for IFI's role in the old control systems?

"To have no errors would be life without meaning. No strugle, no joy"
"A network is only as strong as it's weakest linksys"
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 01:47 AM
An inspired alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pi View Post
I'm not entirely sure of wikipedia's citing rules, but couldn't you use the old game manuals and their KOP sections as citations for IFI's role in the old control systems?
The problem is that I need to show notability. When discussing it, they toss about phrases like "significant coverage" and "independent information." In all my google searches, I've found one so far that actually qualifies.

This is worse than writing a research paper for my college classes.

EDIT: If you're bored (or suffering insomnia), the details are at Wikipedia:Notability.

Last edited by Astronouth7303 : 12-11-2011 at 01:53 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I do stuff.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
FRC #1124 (The ÜberBots), FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
EDIT: If you're bored (or suffering insomnia), the details are at Wikipedia:Notability.
I tried reading this, but I think it may cause insomnia pretty soon...

Anyway, I found some potential sources. I'm not exactly sure how they fit into Wikipedia's rules, and they mostly focus on VEX, but it's a start.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-56907672.html
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2010/10/how-d...up-at-ifi.html
http://www.gizmag.com/mini-robotics-...-control/8787/
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/t...dy-to-5293.ece
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
In this case, there's just not much to write about then. It didn't get media attention, and the only real sources are primary, so I'd focus on their Vex, Hexbug, and RackSolutions products.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: