OCCRA
Go to Post If your robot can't play at least two matches on one battery, your mechanical design and/or driver strategy needs some rethinking. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 1999
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
FIRST Needs a Spokesperson

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/13/99 2:03 PM MST

As I put together an outline of what topics I want to address at the upcoming FIRST Forum, I realize that FIRST can do more self-promotion in order to get more publicity.

I think that in order to bring more attention to FIRST, get more teams involved, and insprire more students, we need more publicity. One step that would help us get some media and public attention is to recruit or even hire a spokesperson.

This person should be a credible celebrity. Having a science-based background would be nice. Either a well known industry leader, an astronaut, a movie (or TV) star, an athlete, or a politician. Some person who would not only attract kids, but also the media. There are many people out these who could be this person... from Arnold Swarzenegger to Elizabeth Dole to Neil Armstrong or Mia Hamm.

This person could do a couple of TV or print ads (like Denzel Washington for the Boys Club of America), and maybe show up at Nationals for a day or two (shake hands and give a simple speech). I am no promotional expert... but I'm thinking that it wouldn't take too much effort to pull this off, once we got a celebrity interested.

I realize that getting this person would be monumental and unlikely, but at least we can discuss the names here, and maybe come up with a short list of 10. Then, somehow, we can ask them... who knows?, one of 'em may say YES !!!

So... who would you like to be our spokesperson?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
FIRST needs any exposure it can get!

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #?, Actually, I'm a FIRST-aholic, from an undecided team for the year 2000 and I'm taking invitations :-).

Posted on 8/13/99 2:59 PM MST

In Reply to: FIRST Needs a Spokesperson posted by Andy Baker on 8/13/99 2:03 PM MST:

I agree, I think getting more publicity for FIRST is what we need, no matter how we can get it done. A spokesperson is a good idea, although, in a way, I would disagree with it because the person has never gone through FIRST with the experiences we have (people like Denzel have usually been through those clubs and that's often why they promote them)

Maybe even, FIRST could get some of the engineers and students, some of the in the action footage, and use some of the cash we pay in entry fees or something to make a commercial? All the sports do it when their season is approaching, why couldn't we?? In the middle of some kid's Transformers cartoon, wouldn't the real robots keep 'em watching.. who knows the possibilites?? Maybe, since FIRST is a non-profit organization, they could get the commercial put on for free.

Who knows?? Or even if FIRST just worked with teams to set up promotional things in their area (like provide the posters and pamphlets and stuff) and we could all be the spokespeople?

Now you've got me thinking..

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: FIRST needs any exposure it can get!

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 8/13/99 8:12 PM MST

In Reply to: FIRST needs any exposure it can get! posted by colleen on 8/13/99 2:59 PM MST:

Great ideas!
Some of the teams do this very well, they might be able to gather ideas and write a 'How to Booklet' that all teams could use.
Afterall many small bits of publicity is stronger than just a single effort.

It all boils down to who you know.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

about that 'How to' book..

Other on team #?, Actually, I'm a FIRST-aholic, from an undecided team for the year 2000 and I'm taking invitations :-).

Posted on 8/13/99 10:47 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: FIRST needs any exposure it can get! posted by Michael Martus on 8/13/99 8:12 PM MST:

Some of us tried to get one of those started a while back.. it didn't get quite off the ground as we would have liked.. but we tried..

however.. it brings me to a project I'm working on as something to give to FIRST so they would have something they could give/show/sample to rookie teams, or veterens looking for ideas..

I'm making a 'Team Profile' that breaks down how our team runs itself through the year.. the people involved, where they come from, how we get them there, how we work over the six weeks, how we fundraise, successful ideas, our outreach efforts- which not only includes demos and the like, but also how we publicized and make a name for our team..its a long process.. a lot of typing and information to put out, but hopefully it would be beneficial in the long run.. maybe if some other teams got someone, or a few people, to take on the same type of initiative we could gather them together for FIRST and allow them to distribute the information as they please..

if anyone who reads this thinks they'd be interested in trying it out.. let me know.. if there's a positive response, i may just post a seperate message asking for teams who want to do them.. and if you want to see what i'm talking about in particular.. you can email me and i can send you a copy of the outline of our profile and, if you like, the info i've completed already..

ok..so i'm a work and FIRST-aholic...but i love it..

colleen

(btw.. the profile's for Team 126.. no, i still haven't joined a team for the '00 games)

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: FIRST Needs a Spokesperson

Posted by Kyle Huang.

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Gunn High School and Sun Microsystems, Nasa/Ames and Xerox PARC.

Posted on 8/14/99 2:01 AM MST

In Reply to: FIRST Needs a Spokesperson posted by Andy Baker on 8/13/99 2:03 PM MST:

Could Disney pull a few strings? Well, I'm sure they could, but would they?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

'..the Official Drink of the FIRST Competition..'

Posted on 8/14/99 11:38 AM MST

Why not?

How bout this for another idea? If we couldn't get a spokesperson, how about a spokescompany? Sponsorship and alignment with companies like Autodesk, Motorola, NASA.. it is all great and overwhelmingly appreciated... but, sometimes their market is limited, esp. with Autodesk and NASA, to the already exposed to engineering and technology world.
What we need is to grab the support of something known everywhere.. something everyone in the general public recognizes so that FIRST becomes something they recognize as well.. kind of like Coca-Cola.. go anywhere in this world and they will recognize Coke.. companies like that are the Official Softdrink of everything else, why not FIRST too?? Wouldn't it be cool if the could make a robot commericial to advertise coke (hey, they've done more bizarre ads) maybe robots picking up stuffed coke bottles or balls with their logo on it.. or even.. a robotic coke machine.. you put in your dollar and it presses the button for you and hands you the coke..

Hey, it could happen... with almost any world-known company.. maybe FIRST could try out getting sponsorship like that for the competition..

Any more idea?

colleen

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: '..the Official Drink of the FIRST Competition..'

Posted by Jon.

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 8/14/99 12:16 PM MST

In Reply to: '..the Official Drink of the FIRST Competition..' posted by colleen on 8/14/99 11:38 AM MST:

I think the official drink would have to be Mountain Dew...
The ads would need flying robots or something like the Robbe Extreme 3D animation... (remember it was grinding on the pipes and stuff...)

oh wait... Disney's affiliated with Coca Cola aren't they? oh well...

FIRST already has many corporate partners... These guys have ads already... like those Motorola Wings commercials about the cellphones and pagers... they could put something like 'Motorola is a proud sponsor of the FIRST robotics competition' at the end of the commercial like these companies do with the Olympics and junk... could work

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

I vote for dew too!

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/16/99 6:46 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: '..the Official Drink of the FIRST Competition..' posted by Jon on 8/14/99 12:16 PM MST:

Seeing as the local Mt. Dew bottling factory times their summer shutdowns around my vacation schedule, I would have to get behind any effort to adopt Dew as the official FIRST drink ;-)

Joe J.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Fran .

Other on team #166, Team Merrimack, from Merrimack High School and Unitrode/R.S. Machines.

Posted on 8/14/99 5:44 PM MST

In Reply to: '..the Official Drink of the FIRST Competition..' posted by colleen on 8/14/99 11:38 AM MST:

: I personally can envision a commercial of a tuf battle ,robot to fix(we're good at falling apart), things looking dismal.....you know have a coke shot and suddenly things get better and your back in the battle......anyway on amore local note in the Manchester NH areaFIRST does run commercials with Dean talking about inspiring kids and clips from the competitions. They run during the early cheap hours....5am to 7:30am and occasionally at other odd times but not real regular.

'Mom'

: Why not?

: How bout this for another idea? If we couldn't get a spokesperson, how about a spokescompany? Sponsorship and alignment with companies like Autodesk, Motorola, NASA.. it is all great and overwhelmingly appreciated... but, sometimes their market is limited, esp. with Autodesk and NASA, to the already exposed to engineering and technology world.
: What we need is to grab the support of something known everywhere.. something everyone in the general public recognizes so that FIRST becomes something they recognize as well.. kind of like Coca-Cola.. go anywhere in this world and they will recognize Coke.. companies like that are the Official Softdrink of everything else, why not FIRST too?? Wouldn't it be cool if the could make a robot commericial to advertise coke (hey, they've done more bizarre ads) maybe robots picking up stuffed coke bottles or balls with their logo on it.. or even.. a robotic coke machine.. you put in your dollar and it presses the button for you and hands you the coke..

: Hey, it could happen... with almost any world-known company.. maybe FIRST could try out getting sponsorship like that for the competition..

: Any more idea?

: colleen

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Tom Wible.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, chaos, from central high school manchester and osram-sylvania.

Posted on 8/16/99 4:51 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: '..the Official Drink of the FIRST Competition..' posted by Fran on 8/14/99 5:44 PM MST:

Actually FIRST does not run the commercial, but Bank of New Hampshire does. It is a spot about NH traditions.
It's kind of funny because team C.H.A.O.S. is shown throughout the spot, but we are sponsored in part by FLEET Bank!

Tom Wible

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Kyle Huang.

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Gunn High School and Sun Microsystems, Nasa/Ames and Xerox PARC.

Posted on 8/15/99 1:05 AM MST

This isn't about a drink, but...

THE WHEATIES BOX!!!!!!!!!! =)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Yet another idea- think of NIKE ads..

Other on team Actually, I'm a FIRST-aholic from an undecided team for the year 2000 sponsored by I'm taking invitations :-).

Posted on 8/15/99 8:57 PM MST

I was just reading a quote I had, and it from a Nike ad and it goes like this:
'All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life
they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough. They'll say you're the wrong height or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly. They will tell you no. And YOU WILL TELL THEM YES.'

Think about that.. FIRST needs advertisement like that.. strong, convincing and making a point.. kinda of like all those Nike commercials with the girls in them saying '..if you let me play sports..' I don't know.. I really think FIRST could take off with the right exposure and ideas.. I really hope Andy and others bring this up at the team forum..

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

What it is...

Posted by Justin.

Other on team #000, Blue Lightning Alum, from RWU and FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 8/15/99 10:09 PM MST

I think that ultimately whatever these adds or spokes people say you need to come away from the 30second spot having some reasonable
clue about what FIRST is. It would be great if FIRST got publicity...believe me when I say it would definetly be cool to see a FIRST
commerical running (during the superbowl....hehehe well maybe we're not there yet I've always been partial to 'FIRST....I love this
game.' But I think that has been used somewhere before....oh well. In anycase my point is that if we just have a commerical saying
hey...support FIRST because I do and I'm a celebrity...well if ppl support someting because they seem someone famous...well I
suppose money is money....but FIRST is about more than that and it always has been....FIRST is about turing people on to this whole
engineering thing....that's what our message needs to be....the commercials need to show FIRST's mission.....and obviously the excitement
of the comps. as well

Just some personal thoughts....

-Justin

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Bill Nye?

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/16/99 6:39 PM MST

As for myself, we could do worse than Bill Nye the Science Guy as a spokesperson.

What do others think?

Anybody have his e-mail address?

Joe J.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Bill Nye: The Science Guy!!!!

Posted by Jon.

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 8/16/99 7:57 PM MST

In Reply to: Bill Nye? posted by Joe Johnson on 8/16/99 6:39 PM MST:

Bill Nye's show is distributed by Buena Vista Television or something... Disney's hard working dollar's at work here friends! If he got word of the game and got to know about it, i'm sure he'd want to jump on board!
On the show's site (www.nyelabs.com) there is an Ask Bill area... he picks a question weekly to answer, so that may not be the best way to do it... maybe tracking down the show's producers or someone...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: