OCCRA
Go to Post There is a big difference between "we have not been able to figure out how to do it." and "it's impossible" or "don't even bother." Let's be constructive not discouraging. - PVCMike [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Are you designing your robot with the idea of being able to fit 3 robots on the ramp?
Yes, it is going to be a key component to winning in Eliminations 188 73.44%
No, it's not worth the trouble and time 74 28.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Dare to be FIRST
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hallry
Going for 3 robots on Ramp?

My team just finished our second large brainstorming session, and one of the big debates was whether or not it was worth, and if many teams would attempt, to try to get all three robots on the bridge during eliminations at regionals/districts. It might take a lot of time for an alliance to situate themselves correctly so it is 'balanced,' which might be better used scoring points through baskets.

What do you guys think? Are teams going to design with the idea of being compact for the ramp in mind? What is your team doing? How is you team planning on pulling down the ramp so you can climb up onto it?

Also, is it worth risking the 20 points from 2 robots for either 0 points due to the ramp being unbalanced, or the 40 points due to all 3 robots being on with the ramp balanced?

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2014 girlPOWER
10 Years of Pi-oneers Anniversary Video
10 Years of Pi-oneers T-Shirt
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)
Team Role: Alumni

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of
Re: Going for 3 robots on Ramp?

Hopefully if my idea gets through to people, a weight shifting mechanism.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Learning how to learn.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

It depends on the robots people make. I could say yes, it's necessary, and then watch as everyone makes long robots that don't fit three, or I say it won't happen and there are teams who make small defending robots whose sole purpose is to allow a triple balance in the end. It all depends on what the other people do.

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM
FRC #3157 (Iron Lancers)
Team Role: Programmer

Ryan_Davis is an unknown quantity at this point

I think personally that three robots is excessive. I believe that an accurate point scoring robot can outweigh the gamble of the bridges.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Davis View Post
I think personally that three robots is excessive. I believe that an accurate point scoring robot can outweigh the gamble of the bridges.
The difference between two and three robots on the bridge in eliminations is 20 points. In order to exceed that you would have to hit a minimum of 7 top level baskets in the time you were planning on devoting to balancing the ramp. Given the maximum three ball capacity, that involves "reloading" at least twice.

Given an appropriate ball supply (far from a guarantee) and a large enough window to get on the bridges (~30 seconds), it's certainly within the realm of feasibility that some teams could achieve that. But I seriously question whether a vast majority of scoring teams will be able to even come close.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
The difference between two and three robots on the bridge in eliminations is 20 points. In order to exceed that you would have to hit a minimum of 7 top level baskets in the time you were planning on devoting to balancing the ramp. Given the maximum three ball capacity, that involves "reloading" at least twice.

Given an appropriate ball supply (far from a guarantee) and a large enough window to get on the bridges (~30 seconds), it's certainly within the realm of feasibility that some teams could achieve that. But I seriously question whether a vast majority of scoring teams will be able to even come close.
I SAY max 3 baskets per match for most teams. and I mean either the 2 or 1 pointers.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
FRC #3157 (Iron Lancers)
Team Role: Programmer

Ryan_Davis is an unknown quantity at this point

Never thought of it like that. All this calculus is brainwashing me...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
FRC #1075
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2008
LafondaOnFire has a spectacular aura aboutLafondaOnFire has a spectacular aura about

I see it being a big risk-big reward part of the game. Sure, we haven't seen any robot balancing yet, but two robots will likely be easier to fit on the ramp, as well as balance on the ramp. Either a team can take the easier feat of balancing with two robots for twenty points, or risk zero or forty points while trying to balance three.
Picking a small robot for the third alliance choice will likely make it easier to fit all the robots on the ramp, but even still, how much room will it be to alter weight? I see some teams that are better at balancing using some mechanism to shift their weight.
Since there is no specific time to begin balancing the ramp, I bet some teams will start maybe at 45 seconds remaining so they may ensure those forty points.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

People just need to get their 2007 robots into the design ideas and start thinking about lifting robots with their robots and then balancing...

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Sleep? Whats that?
FRC #2489 (The Insomniacs)

Rookie Year: 2011
Ankit S. has a spectacular aura aboutAnkit S. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLeifermann View Post
People just need to get their 2007 robots into the design ideas and start thinking about lifting robots with their robots and then balancing...
Don't all the robots have to be supported by the bridge?

2489, 3189, & 701 - The Green Alliance - 2013 Sacramento Regional #6 Alliance Captain and Champions!!!
971, 254, & 2489 - 2011 CalGames Champions. Thanks 254 and 971!!!

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Former Prez of Making Things Go
AKA: Jake Potter
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Ninja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Davis View Post
I remember talk in 2010 that said basically this, that people could score enough goals to make hanging useless.

Then we almost didn't build a hanging robot, and if we hadn't, we'd never have won New York. Except for all the 469 matches and some exceptions at the Championship level, hanging was just as important as scoring.

Lesson learned: No matter the end game, it's important, and you shouldn't rule it out.

Last edited by Ninja_Bait : 01-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
AKA: Brendan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs/Looking for one near Purdue)

Rookie Year: 2009
Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a high seeded alliance and was on my second pick (already having a second great robot). I would defiantly look at my options and probably take a small compact robot that can play defense and allow me to gain 20 bridge points over a bad shooting robot with no chance of gain the bridge points. At the end of the match you make a few decisions. Do you have the small robot and the worse of the 2 shooters go for the guaranteed 20 points and have 1 person shoot the last baskets? or do you take the risk and go for 40? For me I would look at your score, their score, and if they can put 3 robots on the bridge.
Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:01 PM

EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltSanderRocks View Post
Don't all the robots have to be supported by the bridge?
find the rule that says that I can't seem to find it...

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Former Prez of Making Things Go
AKA: Jake Potter
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Ninja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond repute

Does it break the bumper rules if you extend a leg down to balance the bridge and support yourself if you were on it but hanging off the edge? I'm not clear on that.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Bait View Post
Does it break the bumper rules if you extend a leg down to balance the bridge and support yourself if you were on it but hanging off the edge? I'm not clear on that.
You are allowed to extend up to 14 inches beyond the frame perimeter...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: