OCCRA
Go to Post It's like the people from Pimp my Pit came and had it professionally done. - Andrew Lawrence [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:50 AM
the Dreamer
AKA: Alex
FRC #4334 (Alberta Tech Alliance)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
lemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond repute
Farthest Shot

Hey guys,

Today we were prototyping a shooter, and it turned out to be a little more powerful than expected . At ~80 feet I'm fairly sure this is the farthest anyone has ever launched this year's game piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6L1LLRHEFM

The contraption uses two kit wheels powered by a CIM geared UP at a ratio of 22:15. This set up is mirrored on the top and bottom (using a total of 4 wheels and 2 CIMs). The shooter takes ~1.5s to recover between balls. Back of napkin math suggests that the maximum surface velocity of the wheels is 200ft/s.

Hope you enjoyed that,

EDIT: When I say kit wheels, I mean 2011 kit.

- Alex

Last edited by lemiant : 01-18-2012 at 02:41 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:09 AM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2011
Mk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud of
Re: Farthest Shot

Wow very cool

Just wondering how consistent was it? And how much compression did you use on the ball?

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013

Last edited by Mk.32 : 01-18-2012 at 01:23 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:17 AM
the Dreamer

lemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
Wow very cool

Just wonder how consistent was it? And how much compression did you use on the ball?
It's not particularily consistent. While it probably stayed within 18" laterally, the shot varied almost 5 feet in distance.

We compress the ball significantly (not just in this one, but in all our good launcher prototypes), 3 inches is nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited by lemiant : 01-18-2012 at 01:19 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)

Mk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiant View Post
It's not particularily consistent. While it probably stayed within 18" laterally, the shot varied almost 5 feet in distance.

We compress the ball significantly (not just in this one, but in all our good launcher prototypes), 3 inches is nothing out of the ordinary.
Any damage to the balls after that?

This kinda a shooter would make a good feeder bot.

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Geek
AKA: Kyle McGurk
FRC #1716 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

McGurky is just really niceMcGurky is just really niceMcGurky is just really niceMcGurky is just really nice

Now you face the question that most teams are facing. Do you want to sacrifice two cim motors to use on your shooter?

Great distance, now just control the shot and you are golden!

You already are who you are, I may be able to show you a fancy trick or two, but the term "Better" is relative to the potential you already have.
Take a look at my website/Blog!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Currently dreaming about robots
AKA: Danger Dave
FRC #1687 (Highlander Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
davepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud of

That's impressive, let's see you make a basket from that far.

-D

1999-xxxx FRC228, GUS Robotics Inc.
2013-xxxx FRC1678, Highlander Robotics
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
FRC #1559

gpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepowers View Post

-D
For a basket from 80ft, the robot would need to shoot from the pits !!!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Student
AKA: Bryan Flannery
FRC #0930 (Mukwonago B.E.A.R.s)
Team Role: Mechanical

Ludicium is an unknown quantity at this point

If you happened to do research on baseball pitching machines they compress baseballs usually around half there diameter, this is to counteract the slip high speed rollers tend to give.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
team Chief Delphi junkie
AKA: Andrew
FRC #2611 (Jacktown Vectors)
Team Role: Programmer

Dusk Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepowers View Post

-D
Actually, if their inaccuracy scales linearly with distance, horizontal variation would be ~12in laterally, and 3 feet in distance. with appropriate backspin, I would estimate 1 in 4 would go in. Not bad!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Bruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to behold

We tried the KOP wheels on a shooter from our lunacy bot using a 1:1 CIM drive and about 2 inch. of compression and it took BIG CHUNKS out of the balls. We went back to smooth wheels.

Bruce
2013 Buckeye Regional Finalist
2014 Superior Regional Industrial Design Award
2014 Superior Regional Finalist
2014 Milwaukee Regional Finalist
2014 Milwaukee Motorola Quality Award
https://www.youtube.com/user/Cyberhawks706
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurky View Post
Now you face the question that most teams are facing. Do you want to sacrifice two cim motors to use on your shooter?

Great distance, now just control the shot and you are golden!
There are EIGHT motors in the kit that are comparable to a CIM in this application.

Sorry to call you out specifically, but I keep reading this on chief over and over.

Keep your 4 CIMs in drive, and use several of our your EIGHT 200+ W motors on our your shooter.

And after you've used 4 CIMs, and 8 200+ W motors, you still have 10 other weak to powerful motors for other systems.

FIRST has given us the most leniant KOP in history, motor allocation is trivial this year.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
the Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
Any damage to the balls after that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceb View Post
We tried the KOP wheels on a shooter from our lunacy bot using a 1:1 CIM drive and about 2 inch. of compression and it took BIG CHUNKS out of the balls. We went back to smooth wheels.
No significant damage (it does appear to smudge the lines on the balls). When I said kit wheels I was talking about the smooth ones from 2011
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Mentor
FRC #2013 (Cybergnomes)

Rookie Year: 2000
fox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond reputefox46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
FIRST has given us the most leniant KOP in history, motor allocation is trivial this year.
Agreed- I really don't know what all this fuss is about. CIMs are not jesus motors - they are powerful but the others are not far behind. For teams who are only using two CIMS on their drive- I am sure there are lots of teams who are reading these sort of posts and looking forward to ram-jamming your robots around the field while they go about collect balls. (I know I am) You would be better off running two banebot motors per side or a CIM and a fisherprice.... There are MANY combinations and some teams don't limit themselves to only four drive motors. The two teams I am mentoring are running 6.

Furthermore, why do you need to shoot 80ft? Sounds to me like you just threw reason to the wind and "Tim Taylor"ed your shooter.
Founding member, Team 854 Iron Bears 2000-2005

Mech.Eng.+Mgt University of Ontario 2009
Mechanical Engineer - Heavy Equipment Manufacturer
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
AKA: Adam Talajkowski
FRC #0930 (Mukwonago B.E.A.R.s - Building Extremely Awesome Robots)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2010
TheAthlete is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiant View Post
Hey guys,

Today we were prototyping a shooter, and it turned out to be a little more powerful than expected . At ~80 feet I'm fairly sure this is the farthest anyone has ever launched this year's game piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6L1LLRHEFM

The contraption uses two kit wheels powered by a CIM geared UP at a ratio of 22:15. This set up is mirrored on the top and bottom (using a total of 4 wheels and 2 CIMs). The shooter takes ~1.5s to recover between balls. Back of napkin math suggests that the maximum surface velocity of the wheels is 200ft/s.

Hope you enjoyed that,

EDIT: When I say kit wheels, I mean 2011 kit.

- Alex

Last night we had our prototype launch the first shot a measured 100ft across the parking lot. After that it averaged a little less than 80, but was very inconsistent, probably because it was 10 degrees out and the basketballs were noticeably different in the cold. And the way we fed the ball into the launcher was inconsistent.

Our prototype was just a wood mock-up at a 45 angle with two cims directly attached to a single wheel(several years ago gray rubber wheels) aligned so they touch the largest circumference of the basketball, and spaced with a gap of about 4 inches for the ball to compress through. However, it did leave large black streaks across the ball, so...

It was definitely not what we were expecting, and not necessarily our goal to accomplish, but it was pretty darn neat.

For our actual design, we won't use cims, for a good reason as there is an extensive range of other motors, and we plan on using all 4 cims for drive train. And going toward a pitching machine like design, it will take some experimenting with compression to achieve a design that wont leave giant black marks during the match and actually fit in a reasonable range for the field. But overall, I think we know what path we're going down this season!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Truss me I'm a Doctor
AKA: Fred Parker, fredword, fredwardo, phred, frederick
FRC #3467 (windham windups)
Team Role: Mechanical

greasemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

using a cim anywhere but on the drive train is a waste of torque that could be used on the drive train so i agree with you 100%
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: