OCCRA
Go to Post I joined because I needed something to complete my nerdyness and I never regretted it. - Regine [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM
The Mad Cadder
FRC #1983 (Skunkworks Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Flimsor will become famous soon enough
Water Game Next Year?

I was recently at the Seattle Regional and both Dean Kamen and Bill (the FRC director attended). Everyone keeps wanting a water game, and while i think it would be cool, robots and water don't mix. Scarily, both Dean and Bill were hinting at a possible water game next year. Bill even stated "To those of you asking for a water game, be careful what you wish for". So, are they being serious or just trolling us like FIRST does all the time? What do you think?

Thinking outside the box implies you have limited yourself in the first place.

Robots
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence
Re: Water Game Next Year?

Not trying to be rude, but seriously, this is getting old.

Don't think I'm hating. I'm saying this in your best interest. You can get a lot of hate for this, and it's silly, but it will happen. It happened to me, so I'm just trying to help a brother out.

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore

Last edited by Andrew Lawrence : 04-10-2012 at 11:05 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
766 Alum & 4212 Mentor
FRC #4212
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
wilful will become famous soon enough

just so you know, they are probably never going to do a water competition, it would be far to expensive to protect the buildings from water damage, especially with robots moving at probably high speeds inside of the pool.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0675 (Tech High Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
KevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimsor View Post
I was recently at the Seattle Regional and both Dean Kamen and Bill (the FRC director attended). Everyone keeps wanting a water game, and while i think it would be cool, robots and water don't mix. Scarily, both Dean and Bill were hinting at a possible water game next year. Bill even stated "To those of you asking for a water game, be careful what you wish for". So, are they being serious or just trolling us like FIRST does all the time? What do you think?
I'm pretty sure they wont ever do a game with actual water involved... The most they would ever do would be something like having balls with different chemical symbols and then having us make Water by putting them in the right order....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
Not trying to be rude, but seriously, this is getting old.
It used to be a very funny thing, but I do have to agree it is getting old, but who are we to deny some game speculation
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
The Mad Cadder
FRC #1983 (Skunkworks Robotics)

Flimsor will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I thought it was a ridiculous idea too. Just thought it was interesting how much they've taken notice to all the silly remarks for a water game.

Thinking outside the box implies you have limited yourself in the first place.

Robots
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
AKA: Dirk
FRC #3562 (LiveWire)

legogeek24 has a spectacular aura aboutlegogeek24 has a spectacular aura aboutlegogeek24 has a spectacular aura about

I remember water hints being dropped in previous years as well, obviously to no avail. As *interesting* as it would be, I'm sure its a myth being perpetuated for the frustration of everyone
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

I remember in 09 when the hint was a fish. And then they unveiled the field and it was white and not carpet and I had serious freak out moment where I said to myself, "holy @!#$ they did a water game." Please FIRST don't do this. Of course 2013 will definitely be the year of the water game.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0675 (Tech High Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
KevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblay View Post
I remember in 09 when the hint was a fish. And then they unveiled the field and it was white and not carpet and I had serious freak out moment where I said to myself, "holy @!#$ they did a water game." Please FIRST don't do this. Of course 2013 will definitely be the year of the water game.
well that was one of Dave Lavery's hints... His are always so out of the ordinary... Now with him (sadly) not on the GDC anymore We wont have any of those. 2012 was an example of this. We got a list of materials for the field, and we almost got it

But with this year also being a sport year, the next year will be completely random, so something relating to water, but not water itself, is possible.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Engineer

Mk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud ofMk.32 has much to be proud of

For anyone that wants to build an ROV...

http://www.auvsi.org/foundation/competitions/robosub/

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:40 PM
WPI '17
AKA: Brandon Bozeat
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2010
brndn is a jewel in the roughbrndn is a jewel in the roughbrndn is a jewel in the roughbrndn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
it would be far to expensive to protect the buildings from water damage
This. No venue would likely agree to host this type of event, nor would they really have the facilities to accommodate such a game.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
John Rangel
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
For anyone that wants to build an ROV...

http://www.auvsi.org/foundation/competitions/robosub/
Yes I strongly say that this water game is better than any water game FIRST can come up with given their limited size, space, and cost. It was a great experience for us and I encourage all teams to take a look at this competition. If all autonomous is too much to take on so soon you can also do Nurc which is teleoperated and at night:

http://arizonapromotersofappliedscie...m/default.aspx
2011 Newton Quarterfinalists
2012 Dean's List Winner
2012-2013 Team President
2013 8th Place Robosub Competition
2014-? Mentor

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:00 AM
FRC #0997 (CHS Robotics)

tsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond reputetsaksa has a reputation beyond repute

How about a simulated water game? Imagine the robots looking for and manipulating game pieces in an arena that is approximately six inches deep in ping pong balls, or squash balls, etc. You can see the top of your robot, but the game pieces and obsolesces and perhaps even the goals are fully or partially obscured by a vast number of non scoring pieces. The shear weight and volume of them present unique challenges both for navigation and locating the real scoring pieces.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:04 AM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaksa View Post
How about a simulated water game? Imagine the robots looking for and manipulating game pieces in an arena that is approximately six inches deep in ping pong balls, or squash balls, etc. You can see the top of your robot, but the game pieces and obsolesces and perhaps even the goals are fully or partially obscured by a vast number of non scoring pieces. The shear weight and volume of them present unique challenges both for navigation and locating the real scoring pieces.
Remind me not to sign up for "field reset" on this one!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:49 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

I had a nice conversation with Bill Miller this year, and the subject of water did come up.

NURC is fun, and this year we get to try the autonomous version! based on the RoboSub rules
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:05 AM
College Student / Between Teams
no team

Rookie Year: 2010
Samwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to behold

First of all a water game is impractical!!!! If the venue even allowed a field with water on it, then FIRST field set up would have to figure a way to transport water to the field, probably being buckets if a hose was not long enough. Also leakage would be a huge problem. Lastly putting away a wet field would Be difficult due to slippage but also FIRST volunteers would have to figure a way to get rid of the water.

I think though if they ABSOLUTLY wanted to do something with water then they could do something similar to the 2011 minibots, they could put a small lane, or bowl of water that involves a minibot either racing down the lane of water, or floating in a bowl and doing something

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: