OCCRA
Go to Post Right, play to win. Play to win the event or play to win one match? This year, unfortunately, they are not the same thing. - Paul Copioli [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence
Championships: Day 1

How'd everyone feel about the first day of the championships? Anything amazing happen? Any serious upsets in the rankings?

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB
Re: Championships: Day 1

Not surprised by today's rankings, with this years game the top 8 teams are going to be very unexpected because the high caliber teams in the division haven't co-oped and won each match.

Very interesting to see how this all shakes out tomorrow and Saturday afternoon.

Looks like 1114* and 1058 are having comm issues that are holding them back, I really hope they can work out those issues.

Keep up the good work on Newton 1519!!!!!! They have really adjusted the speed of their camera tracking since NCR and as long as they have balls on their side of the field they pop them in extremely fast!

*Don't know if this is true but they didn't seem like themselves on the field.

2013 Pine Tree Regional Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Archimedes Judges Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477

Last edited by BrendanB : 04-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2009
rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
Not surprised by today's rankings, with this years game the top 8 teams are going to be very unexpected because the high caliber teams in the division haven't co-oped and won each match.

Very interesting to see how this all shakes out tomorrow and Saturday afternoon.

Looks like 1114* and 1058 are having comm issues that are holding them back, I really hope they can work out those issues.

Keep up the good work on Newton 1519!!!!!! They have really adjusted the speed of their camera tracking since NCR and as long as they have balls on their side of the field they pop them in extremely fast!

*Don't know if this is true but they didn't seem like themselves on the field.
1114, from Adam's update, seems to keep having mechanical failures. There wasn't too much detail that he went into but that's what he mentioned when I asked him.
"While I was a student in FIRST, it was all about becoming inspired. Now as a mentor/engineering student, it's all about making sure learn everything I can so I can carry that on inspiration for future generations while having a hell of a lot of fun!"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmolloy View Post
1114, from Adam's update, seems to keep having mechanical failures. There wasn't too much detail that he went into but that's what he mentioned when I asked him.
I didn't talk to Adam, or Karthik, or anyone in the 1114 pit. But I did watch from a volunteer position (reset) and later sat with some their students in the stands (awesome seats!) for a few matches -- the problem appears to be flaky sidecar power. I have seen something with similar symptoms earlier this season. If that really is the problem, they'll get it fixed shortly.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM
respect the hat
AKA: Felipe Agurto
FRC #1918 (NC GEARS)
Team Role: Alumni

flippy147852 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to flippy147852

1918 is ranked 53, despite the fact that they have ridiculously high hybrid and teleop scores. does that count?

2009: 5 Events, 60-25-2. 1 District Win, 3 Finalists
2010: 4 Events, 51-13-6. 1 District Win, 1 Regional Win, 1 Finalist
2011: 4 Events, 58-18-4. 2 District Wins
2012: 4 Events, 46-25-0. 1 District Win, 1 Finalist
Total: 17 Events, 215-81-12. 308 matches in 4 years

Scouting it all: Priceless

Last edited by flippy147852 : 04-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to ratdude747

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy147852 View Post
1918 is ranked 53, despite the fact that they have ridiculously high hybrid and teleop scores. does that count?
Let me guess, few coopertition points?

(Not a dis at all, many of the best FRC designs in history didn't seed well *cough*71 2002 *cough*)

Dean's List Semi-finalist 2010
1747 Harrison Boiler Robotics 2008-2010
2783 Engineers of Tomorrow 2011
How to wire CAN bus on a budget
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
1 + 1 = 0 (in Z/2Z)
AKA: Andy D.
FRC #1482 (Bishop Grandin Ghosts)

lorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to behold

4334 is ranked #13 in Archimedes. Glad to see a team from Western Canada doing well.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Team 195 Alumni & Former Driver
no team (The Cyber Knights)

NickTosta is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange, strange things are afoot on Archimedes. I think the root cause is different for each team, but I've noticed that many of the top teams on our field seem to be having very, very strange consistency issues. In no particular order:

1114: Apparently they were having some kind of issue with their sidecar. Based on that latest match against 67 (Q52) they seem to have fixed that, as I don't think they missed a single shot. Oh, and speaking of 67...

67: I heard from our scouters that they did incredibly well earlier in the day, but based on what I saw in Q52 against 1114 it seemed like they were having incredible difficulty putting the balls where they needed to go. I also heard that they stopped moving at some point in one match. Exact opposite of 1114 - amazing early, having a rough time as the day goes on.

2056: Earlier in the day I watched them make like 9/10 baskets from the fender. Later in the day (Q34) they made about half that, maybe 3 or 4 of the 10+ shots they made, missing balls both from the key and fender.

Just based on what I personally have seen from watching matches while we queue, and what our scouters have told us, it does seem like something is conspiring to make everyone's lives painful. Of course, we also have first hand experience - in our first qual match we made almost every shot, in our second and third we struggled to hit 50%, and then in our last qual match of the day we were back to making almost every shot again (80% ish probably).

Oh, I think it's reasonable to say that the top 8 looks nothing like anyone would have predicted. Maybe it'll settle out; maybe it won't. Very strange things afoot.

Last edited by NickTosta : 04-26-2012 at 10:43 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorem3k View Post
4334 is ranked #13 in Archimedes. Glad to see a team from Western Canada doing well.
Good drivetrain, fast at sweeping balls from the floor, small footprint, excellent bridge skills -- and their match strategy plays to all those strengths. Too good to stay around long in the draft.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:10 PM
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I didn't talk to Adam, or Karthik, or anyone in the 1114 pit. But I did watch from a volunteer position (reset) and later sat with some their students in the stands (awesome seats!) for a few matches -- the problem appears to be flaky sidecar power. I have seen something with similar symptoms earlier this season. If that really is the problem, they'll get it fixed shortly.
Thanks for the clarification Richard! Making assumptions from Adam's quoted text "Crap just keeps breaking" really didn't have a certain yield to it. Even though I know 1114 probably never has mechanical failures often, thats what I resulted to mentioning.
"While I was a student in FIRST, it was all about becoming inspired. Now as a mentor/engineering student, it's all about making sure learn everything I can so I can carry that on inspiration for future generations while having a hell of a lot of fun!"
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:26 AM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTosta View Post
67: I heard from our scouters that they did incredibly well earlier in the day, but based on what I saw in Q52 against 1114 it seemed like they were having incredible difficulty putting the balls where they needed to go. I also heard that they stopped moving at some point in one match. Exact opposite of 1114 - amazing early, having a rough time as the day goes on.
Wow...expectations must be extremely high. We have our best match of the afternoon....score 8/9 balls but lose to 1114, who scored 9/9 balls...yet they played amazing and we had trouble "putting balls where they needed to go".

We did sit dead for part of a match. cRIO and Digital side car were replaced (should have been replaced after MSC). Hopefully everthing is good to go now.

As Richard stated, 1114 was having digital side car issues earlier. They are awesome when they are running 100%.

The Coop bridge has bitten both of us already (seems to be happening all over the dome today). Unfortunately, I doubt either one of us and get back into a position to control our own destiny anymore.

Top 8 in Archimedes is going to be interesting.

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Freeman View Post

The Coop bridge has bitten both of us already (seems to be happening all over the dome today). Unfortunately, I doubt either one of us and get back into a position to control our own destiny anymore.

Top 8 in Archimedes is going to be interesting.
Coop has been a disaster for us so far. 1 for 4 with us spending close to a minute every time.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
That Awkward One
AKA: Mary Soltis
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 2003
The Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant future

I'm really enjoying the event so far. Curie has been a pretty challenging division.

I am, however, annoyed by how close the field is placed to the stands. A good portion of the field is already obscured by the stands themselves. With people sitting, standing, or coming/going to the stands, seeing even a small portion of the field can be frustrating. As crowded as it was in the pit fields last year, I still prefer them over the fields from the dome mostly because it was very easy to watch the competition from them.

For Archimedes teams: how is the view from the stands? It looks like the Archimedes field is placed a little further from the stands, so im curious as to how well the view is.

Thanks

/rant
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Team 195 Alumni & Former Driver
no team (The Cyber Knights)

NickTosta is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Freeman View Post
Wow...expectations must be extremely high. We have our best match of the afternoon....score 8/9 balls but lose to 1114, who scored 9/9 balls...yet they played amazing and we had trouble "putting balls where they needed to go".
Huh, i know you only made 1/4 in hybrid, although now that i think about it teleop was a lot more even. I might have misheard what my scouters said, or maybe they misspoke.

Either way it was an awesome match to watch.

Quote:
Well, to be fair, if it happened to you guys then it's just as likely to happen to teams currently in the top 8. Very few teams in our division have anything close to a perfect score, so even if teams have lost points somewhere it isnt impossible to come back at this point.

Last edited by NickTosta : 04-27-2012 at 08:58 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

Wow. The rankings have everyone's top team's (well, most everyone's ) a lot lower than they expected. Will we see a turnaround today? Only time will tell.

#67comeback

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: