OCCRA
Go to Post Inspectors are your friends and are there to make sure you are safe and legal to compete. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Captain
AKA: Captain Cam
FRC #3081 (RoBoEaGleS)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
Camren has a spectacular aura aboutCamren has a spectacular aura about
Scouting room

correct me if i am wrong but, I believe that their is enough room in the convention center to host 4 scouting rooms for each division. where there is 3 projectors showing both sides of the field and the end game places. Each team scouts from each team are allowed. I believe that this will give all teams a equal opportunity to see the field instead of having you scouting team way in the back because of teams saving spots.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scouting room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camren View Post
correct me if i am wrong but, I believe that their is enough room in the convention center to host 4 scouting rooms for each division. where there is 3 projectors showing both sides of the field and the end game places. Each team scouts from each team are allowed. I believe that this will give all teams a equal opportunity to see the field instead of having you scouting team way in the back because of teams saving spots.
But what scout would want to sit in a room away from the actual robots? Scouting already is very un-appealing to most people, and pulling them away from the field and the atmosphere wouldn't help the scouting cause.

In theory, this would work well, but in the name of practicality there wouldn't be intrest.
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy Co-Captain
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM
College Student / Between Teams
no team

Rookie Year: 2010
Samwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to behold

although this wold be very nice, it would destroy one of the great values of FIRST. the atmosphere and cheering!!!!!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: Driver

mikemat is on a distinguished road

I agree that this would only make scouting less appealing. But, I would love the live feed to be projected next to the rankings so those in the pits can watch some matches.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Captain
FRC #3081 (RoBoEaGleS)

Some things to tweak

Less appealing- It provides a social environment to meet and talk to other teams

Atmosphere and cheering- its not like the whole field will be their just 2 team reps

As I agree your not gonna have as fun of a time as watching the bots. I find that my FIRST fever makes me not care what form of FIRST I see as much as I love the view from the driver station I find myself watching FIRST matches in my free time on you tube.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:59 PM

Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Atmosphere and cheering- its not like the whole field will be their just 2 team reps
It's not the loss of the atmosphere for the field, its is the loss for the scouts that have to go to said room. Additionally, most teams use more than 2 scouts.

Quote:

As I agree your not gonna have as fun of a time as watching the bots. I find that my FIRST fever makes me not care what form of FIRST I see as much as I love the view from the driver station I find myself watching FIRST matches in my free time on you tube.
I do the same thing, but would you be willing to give up watching a regional that you are at to watch it behind a screen? Theres a difference when you have a personal investment in a team, than when you are just watching for kicks.
Add me on Facebook
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Steve
AKA: Steve
FRC #0578 (Red Raider Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2009
stundt1 will become famous soon enoughstundt1 will become famous soon enough

I have always wanted a scouting base or headquarters MWAHAHA
Add Team 578 on
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:01 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow

The only benefit I would see (and would personally love) to a "scouting room" would be it basically being a LAN party, only for scouting. Get a bunch of computers together in a room, and make that a "scouting base". Of course, there are so many logistical drawbacks to this.

FRC 125 [2013-Present]: NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:09 AM
AKA: Alden O'Cain
FRC #0781 (Kinetic Knights)
Team Role: Tactician

Alden94 will become famous soon enough

I think it would be cool to have a meeting prior to alliance selections to give all teams equal access to the data that has been collected.

Some teams will learn how other teams scout. I think this would add a very interesting element of strategy. But I think you would have to limit it to 1 or 2 team reps.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden94 View Post
I think it would be cool to have a meeting prior to alliance selections to give all teams equal access to the data that has been collected.

Some teams will learn how other teams scout. I think this would add a very interesting element of strategy. But I think you would have to limit it to 1 or 2 team reps.
But what about the teams that pride themselves in scouting, while the others that don't. Is it really fair to have to share your information? I suppose you could leave it up to the team as to if they want to share it.
Add me on Facebook
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:47 AM
AKA: Joe Lee
FRC #3167 (Environmental Tectonics Crusaders)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
nitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud ofnitneylion452 has much to be proud of

This doesn't have to be requirement for all teams to follow. If a scout wants to go to the scouting room to get all of the dynamic angles the webcast can offer, so be it. If they want to be out in the stands, then it shall be so. There's nothing wrong with trying something new. Plus, I'd find it kind of cool to be in a room dedicated for my purpose, but that's just me.

http://www.fatherjudgerobotics.webs.com

Volunteer 2012 MAR Region Championship - Field Reset
Volunteer 2013 MAR Region Championship - Field Reset
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Intaker
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)

Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future

As a scout this last year, I would find it much more appealing to watch in the stands--even if it's on a screen there--than in some dark corner of the facility.

Plus, on a team with two teams of six scouts each, it wouldn't make sense to only send two.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Still 0 blue banners...
AKA: Wing
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Anupam Goli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor01 View Post
But what scout would want to sit in a room away from the actual robots? Scouting already is very un-appealing to most people, and pulling them away from the field and the atmosphere wouldn't help the scouting cause.

In theory, this would work well, but in the name of practicality there wouldn't be intrest.
It still bothers me that Scouting is unappealing to people. It's probably the most important job on the day of the competition, no matter what type of team you are. You always need to know the capabilities of your allies and opponents in each match.

That being said, I think the scouting room would be a cool place to just have standings, rankings, and scouting tools, rather than be a place to watch matches. It would be the one stop scouter's station.
Georgia Institute of Technology Class of 2016
I wish everyone a great season, and good luck!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
no team (Team WARP)

Paul T. is on a distinguished road

What if they just reserved the first few rows to scouts? each team can send no more than two or three and each team has the opportunity to get to a prime angle for viewing the action on the field.
WPI districts Semifinalists-2014
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Captain
FRC #3081 (RoBoEaGleS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
What if they just reserved the first few rows to scouts? each team can send no more than two or three and each team has the opportunity to get to a prime angle for viewing the action on the field.
two from each team equal 200. I thought of the same thing except that would extend past good viewing area.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: