OCCRA
Go to Post Mike Wade was the Fall offseason guy. - MikeL303 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute
What Happened to Class?

I have been on these forums for two years now, and in FIRST for three. I'll start off by saying that I'll try to keep this short, I always hate reading really long posts myself.

First off, does everyone remember that what they say and do on here reflects right back on their team? If you are rude and obnoxious and make insinuations based on information that you don't know for 100% fact, not only are you embarrassing yourself, you're embarrassing your team. Do you really want to make your team look bad?

In the real world, the way in which you present yourself has a great impact on a number of variables. If you go out and spread rumors and say things in a way that people take offensively, others will not only think badly of you, but of those with whom you associate yourself as well.

I guess I always have felt the desire to make myself and my team to have a positive image. I've been told by a number of people that the way that I have spoken and what I have said on these forums has reflected positively on my team's image. I can't imagine why you would need to say something negative or especially spread a rumor, so badly that you would risk your team's reputation on it.

Mom said it a long time ago, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I'll add truth into that equation and go with it as a rule of thumb on these forums. I ask everyone to refrain from embarrassing themselves and their teams, and to keep in mind the spirit of the organization in which we participate:
GRACIOUS PROFESSIONALISM
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Re: What Happened to Class?

This is the first post that I have ever "modded" to become a sticky. Each forum user should read Beth's eloquent words. Her post should be gold plated, framed, and nailed on the town hall doors for all to see.

Andy B.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:35 PM
GO IRISH
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Alex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant futureAlex Pelan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Alex Pelan Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Pelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker
This is the first post that I have ever "modded" to become a sticky. Each forum user should read Beth's eloquent words. Her post should be gold plated, framed, and nailed on the town hall doors for all to see.

Andy B.
Agreed. You can make your team well known simply by posting through these forums, whether you are aware of it or not. Needless to say, that can be either a good thing or a bad thing. You may think you're having a little harmless fun and can insult, make fun of people, or just generally act ungraciously and unprofessionably, but come competition time, your team will be looked at differently by people who post on here, who tend to be rather involved in FIRST. Chief Delphi isn't for making enemies...it's for making friends.

Last edited by Alex Pelan : 04-04-2005 at 02:36 PM. Reason: arggh...realized spelling mistake right after hitting "submit."
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

Agreed. Very good, Beth.

I've added it to the site-wide announcement.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:37 PM
FRC #0469

Don Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Don Wright Send a message via Yahoo to Don Wright

Honestly, in my mind, positive things people say here gives me a positive opinion of their team.

But negative things only gives me a negative opinion of the person, not the team. I don't judge an entire team by the negative words or actions of one.

This is how I live my life outside of FIRST as well in terms of race, sex, religion, nationality, political views, etc...

And most of the time, I forget my negative opinion of the person the second I meet them in real life...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
AKA: Nick
FRC #0067 (H.O.T.)
Team Role: Animator

opnickc will become famous soon enoughopnickc will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to opnickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wright
Honestly, in my mind, positive things people say here gives me a positive opinion of their team.

But negative things only gives me a negative opinion of the person, not the team. I don't judge an entire team by the negative words or actions of one.

This is how I live my life outside of FIRST as well in terms of race, sex, religion, nationality, political views, etc...

And most of the time, I forget my negative opinion of the person the second I meet them in real life...
I have to agree.

I don't think I've ever seen a post that was intentionally ungracious, but sometimes it is easy to misinterpret when you're not face to face with someone.

So this is something poster should keep in mind, but if you find something offensive, PM the person. I'm sure it will end up being nothing more than a misunderstanding.
Buckeye Champions (thanks 279 and 274)
West Michigan Regional Chairman's Award

Newton Division Champion (thanks 330 and 503)
Championship Winner (thanks 330 and 503)
Championship Chairman's Award Winner

The only team to win the Chairman's Award and the Championship, not to mention in the same year.
(please correct me if I'm wrong)

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not reflect the opinions of team 67, FIRST, or any affiliate or subsidiary of the two.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Chrissy!!!!!
AKA: Chrissy
#1266 (Devil Duckies)
Team Role: Marketing

DevilDuckie1266 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DevilDuckie1266

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnickc
I have to agree.

I don't think I've ever seen a post that was intentionally ungracious, but sometimes it is easy to misinterpret when you're not face to face with someone.

So this is something poster should keep in mind, but if you find something offensive, PM the person. I'm sure it will end up being nothing more than a misunderstanding.

That is why part of me dislikes chatting on the internet, because so many things can be misunderstood. Facial expressions say a million things, and tone of voice says jsut as much, when you do not have those, most people tend to take it as an offensive comment and then you get one of those " Oh no he didn't." lol And we don't like those!! But for the most part I haven;t seen any comments that I've found offending so props to alot of team members in my eyes!!!!!

And major cookies to all the engineers and mentors I've seen posting. Its very cool that you ahve so much love for FIRST and your teams to "keep up" with what alot of people are talking about.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2005, 10:52 PM
AKA: Peter H.
FRC #1540 (The Flaming Chickens)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
PeterSugus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PeterSugus

Thankyou Beth for those wise words.

I also have to say that the FIRST oragnization as a whole, and the Cheif Delphi website and its users as an important part of first, have impressed me with their gracious professionalism throughout my rookie year. There has been a sense of common appreciation and respect throughout the organization that I have yet to see in many groups i have encountered. I honestly haven't seen many examples of meanness of any kind related to FIRST, which is absloutly amazing given an activity with so much work and stress and emotion involved. As far as I have seen, everyone can fit in and feel welcome in FIRST (even crazy event announcer dudes with bright blue hair ) kudos to the huge majority being good people, shame on the rest of y'all.
2005 Website Award - Championship Event
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 05:33 AM
GM/Kettering Mentor
FRC #0322 (F.I.R.E)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Will Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Will Hanashiro

I also have to thank you for the post Beth. I needed it, and I think that we all needed to read something like this. Once again, thanks.

West Michigan Regional #1 Seed
2006 GLR Motorola Quality Award
2006 WMR GM Industrial Design Award

Kettering University ME Class of 2009
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Sweet
In the real world, the way in which you present yourself has a great impact on a number of variables. If you go out and spread rumors and say things in a way that people take offensively, others will not only think badly of you, but of those with whom you associate yourself as well.
Beth,
Very well put. I believe that you change forever, the life of everyone you meet. (including your writing on an electronic forum.) If that is true, what you post here has an effect on thousands of people. Thanks for having a good effect on me.
www.wildstang.org
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Electrical girl
AKA: Tiffany
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

'lil Gach is a jewel in the rough'lil Gach is a jewel in the rough'lil Gach is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 'lil Gach

Beth I totally agree with you!!!! I know that sometimes I come on the forum and I see IM talk and everything and I dont understand what people are talking about.

Thanks!!!!

Tiffany
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM
FIRST Guru
AKA: Alex
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

StangMan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to StangMan

Beth-
I have read what you have to say, and I am very glad you said it. I agree 100%. I have made negative posts in the past on my own team's forum, and it has caused no good. I am now much more aware of what benefits the whole team, and not just myself. Thanks for posting this!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 04:59 PM
AKA: Emmmmm
FRC #0303 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2000
emnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond reputeemnasson303 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to emnasson303

i agree that this is a very important thing to keep in mind when making posts .. as i have been looking at cd for 2-3 years now, i have i seen many posts with negitive comments and it certainly doesn't help your opinion on a team.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Head of Electronics
AKA: Kevin F.
FRC #1596 (Twin Saults International Instigators)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2005
the_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to the_short1

yes.. ! thats a very good statement! i agreee. .i have seen many teams members talk down to other teams etc.. its foolish.. .. all team members that go on cheif delphi are like spokepersons .. and must act as such i would think. .

2006 Website (Totally Revamped):Instigators1596.com
2006 GLR: 31st/61 Seed, Aliance: 835, 1213, 1596 (Quarter Finalists) Spirit & 3 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: 7th/31 Seed, Aliance: 1219, 1596, 912 (Semi Finalists) Spirit & 2 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: Aliance: 1596, 1680, 1114 Higest Match Score: (Q22) 128|32
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Commander of teh Plastic Troops
AKA: Cassie/Lorien
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Sister Grimm will become famous soon enoughSister Grimm will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Sister Grimm Send a message via MSN to Sister Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_short1
yes.. ! thats a very good statement! i agreee. .i have seen many teams members talk down to other teams etc.. its foolish.. .. all team members that go on cheif delphi are like spokepersons .. and must act as such i would think. .

I have to agree with everything that's been said here, 100%. I don't like the rumors that can be spread... we joined each individual FIRST team, whether it be Lego League, FRC, or Vex, to have fun (Yeah, my grammar's a little off, for any english nerds out there, sorry). Why spread rumors and have all this hostility/back talk/down talk if you joined your team to have fun and experience something different? Everyone should be able to have a good time without rumors or anything like that attatched to their name.

Now to stop before I start rambling... >.>

Leave No Camo Man Behind!

Attending :: Boston Regional, Championship Event

Remember when I said I wanted to be an engineer? Well, I am an engineer. I'm an inspiration engineer! (No, I don't know what that means yet...)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: