OCCRA
Go to Post Some call those dreams- others nightmares - Wayne C. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:13 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
UFH: Chris Husmann

Thread created automatically to discuss UFH Honoree: Chris Husmann.

Name: Chris Husmann
Date Honored: 12-14-2005
Years involved w/FIRST: 8
FIRST Team(s): J&,F Machine/NASA-JPL/Raytheon &, Hope Chapel Academy (0330)
Role: Mechanical, Inter-Team Relations
Quote: “Don’t let academics get in the way of a good education." - Mark Twain
Bio: For the past 8 years, Chris Husmann has put his heart and soul into Team 330, The Beach Bots. Chris described some of his duties on the team for us: "I have two functions on the team. During Build Season I am one of the two Mechanical Engineers. Usually Matt Driggs (WFA Sacramento 05) and I split the responsibility for the mechanical portion. One of us works on the drive and the other on the manipulator. Who does what changes from year to year. We often disagree on how things should be done. We work hard to come to an agreement in a (mostly) professional manner. The great thing is we have respect for each other in spite of our disagreements. We know that when we both agree, it’s right. I think it is important that we model this before the students. So they learn to disagree in a graciously professional way. The rest of the year I do Inter-Team Relations. This means I go to the SCRRF meetings and other events that require a team representative. Somehow as a result I wound up as President of SCRRF. I guess I just didn’t duck fast enough. That is also how I found myself on the Regional Committee. I have also helped mentor other teams and at competitions I inspect robots or play Safety Inspector. I have trouble just sitting in our pit. I’d rather go off and schmooze or do something useful. If I’m busy in our pit something is seriously wrong."

Chris also had a touching memory for us to hear. "This past year we did something different. We had several drive teams and just let them play until it became clear which one was best. For our first regional our best driver turned out a senior named Derek. But at our home regional a freshman named Shane was clearly the man for the job. During a break in the Finals I wandered through the staging area Safety Inspecting (ok and using privilege to get a good view). In the midst of the noise off in a corner I spotted Derek and Shane. I went up to talk to them but as I got close I stopped. They were praying, more specifically Derek was praying for Shane, that he would do a good job and be confident and not nervous. There was no animosity or regret in his voice at being replaced. Shane went on to drive for us through the Finals which we eventually won and again at the Championship. But someday I want to be like Derek. Another one was lying awake Friday night in Atlanta, We were #2 seed in our division. I realized that we were as good as any team out there, and that we could win it all, and then going out and doing it."

We also got a list of Chris' and Team 330's accomplishments. "One of the first things I learned in FIRST was how to size an electric motor, or rather how not to. I have made friends all over the country. I helped my team Mentor a Rookie All Star. I have helped build a team that is good on the field, but also pays attention to things off the field, as evidenced by our two Regional Chairman’s awards. I have learned to let go of ideas I was very attached to, because they would not help the team with the task at hand. I helped design and build a Champion robot."

Also, when asked how he would describe FIRST to an outsider, Chris gave us this great tidbit: "A FIRST team is a small company. It has to design a product, build it, demonstrate it, and sell the product to other teams. I know of no other program where can students be exposed to so much of the real world in so short a time."

Finally, Chris gave a bit of advice to his fellow FIRSTers. "Find something you love to do, and are good at, and do it with all your might. Pursue it even when it is hard and you do not know if you can keep it up. Do the parts you don’t like too. I love to design stuff and I hate writing reports, but I do what I hate because it is part of what I love. Writing things down helps me think through things, so it becomes part of the process.

"I read an article once where they talked about “the zone” where you so concentrate on your work that you loose all track of time or sense of what is going on around you. The article stated that people who found themselves in that state even 1% of the time, loved their jobs. Those who didn’t hated them. Life is too short to spend it doing something you hate all day everyday.

"Use FIRST to find those things that put you in the zone, then go out and do them in the real world, even if they have nothing to do with robots."

Congratulations to Chris Husmann, our next Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nominated By: EricH

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 11-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UFH: Chris Husmann

Congratulations to Chris Husmann, our next Unsung FIRST Hero.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:49 PM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)
Team Role: Mentor

Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

Congrats Chris ... Another well deserved honor !!
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref

Last edited by Stu Bloom : 12-15-2005 at 04:54 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Chris!

Throughly deserved for all you do to introduce kids to the engineering process as well as your general promotion of all things FIRST!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Travis Covington's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254

Rookie Year: 1998
Travis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Travis Covington

Woohoo!! VERY well deserved! Conratulations Chris!

2008-2015 - Engineering Mentor of Team 254
2001-2008 - Engineering Mentor of Team 968
1998-2001 - Mechanical Director/Driver/Member of Team 115
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 06:33 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

Congrats to another great mentor, Chris Husmann!
Thank you for all that you do!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 07:20 PM
...misses her old team.
AKA: BurningQuestion
FRC #0716 (The Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Jaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jaine Perotti Send a message via MSN to Jaine Perotti Send a message via Yahoo to Jaine Perotti

Congratulations to Chris Husmann!

I have always been impressed by the leadership and organization of your team. From the time I first met you guys back in 2003 when we were your alliance partners at nationals, to the time in 2004 when we beat your alliance (very narrowly!) during semifinals on Archimedes, I have observed your team's gracious professionalism through both the good times and the bad. Thank you for being such a great team leader.

-- Jaine
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
They're trusting ME with a Kickoff?
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Chris!
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV USC Kickoff (51,610.5 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,
It is so great to be able to congratulate yet another deserving mentor for obtaining the UFH. I know of your dedication and desire to help all those on your team and anyone who asks. It is a pleasure to know that good people like you exist in FIRST. Congratulations again and keep up the good work.
www.wildstang.org
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Should be teaching right now
FRC #0085 (B.O.B. (Built On Brains))

Rookie Year: 1996
Steve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to beholdSteve Yasick is a splendid one to behold

Congratulation Chris,

The best part of FIRST is the people who dedicate so much to the kids and love what they do each day!

Happy Holidays!

Steve Yasick
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Congratulations Chris! Keep up the good work!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2005, 12:52 PM
FRC #0330 (Beach Bot)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1997
Penny has a spectacular aura aboutPenny has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations Chris!!! Our family has first-hand knowledge of all you have done for the Beach Bots, SCRFF, and FIRST in Southern California and we really appreciate your dedication.

Penny Ross
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2005, 09:09 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Chris, I've long admired what you do for FIRST all the way out there on that other coast. Congrats on a well deserved honor.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Christina's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Christina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Christina

Congrats Chris! Even though I haven't met you (yet! we can only work for the same company a couple of hours away from each other and not meet for so long...), the dedication I've heard from CD, PMs, work emails, and regional emails has been enough for me to know that this is very well deserved honor.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
AKA: Ms. Chen-Lee
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Pat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD47-Bot
Thread created automatically to discuss UFH Honoree: Chris Husmann.

Congratulations Chris! YOu deserve this award, it is evident that you give more to FIRST and the students than what you get in return.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: