OCCRA
Go to Post I am definitely not a battery or battery charging expert (far from it) but I do know enough to be dangerous (I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night)... - Don Wright [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Advisor, BAA board member
AKA: Mark Eastman
FRC #2199 (Robo-lions)

Rookie Year: 2005
rcflyer620 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Are individual team penalties being tracked?

We just attended the Chesapeake regional and it came to mind that while an alliance is assesed penalties that affect the score, is there a statistic for individual team penalties.
I tried to scout with that stat but couldn't find it unless I just asked the teams.
For example, 2199 was penalty free for 8 matches made 7 -8 laps per match, and could effectively knock balls of the overhead. Unfortunately lots of teams could lap and knock the ball off. We tried to press the fact that we were penalty free but I think if that stat was available overall it would influence alliance picks.
This has been a penalty ridden game and I think a large percentage of matches were determined by penalty. I have no regrets and I'm very proud of what our team accomplished this year, but if I were a team going to the championships I would definitely like to have this statistic, especially considering how many teams I'd have to scout to get it.

Thoughts?

Mr. E.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Taking one home in '09.
AKA: Danny McCanney
FRC #0816 (The WesTech Anomaly)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Danny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Danny McC Send a message via MSN to Danny McC
Re: Are individual team penalties being tracked?

I heard them say the teams a few times while watching SVR. I am not sure if they announce the teams penalties. The best thing to do would be to know the rules and get someone to watch for flags and what team they point at.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
FRC #2199 (Robo-lions)

The announcing was outstanding at Chessie. The penalties were ascribed to the team incurring them and described to help the fans understand but would it be really hard to add a column to the standings board with a running total of penalties incurred. Think how that would change alliance selections!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Lead Mentor, Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

My experience at the San Diego Regional was no elaboration of the penalty was made by the game announcer in the majority of the matches, i.e. "20 pts against the red alliance".

In some cases the infraction was cited, i.e. "contact outside the bumper zone", but I don't recall the team number ever being called out by the announcer in any of the penalties (except for yellow card citations). Sometimes, the teams themselves had to ask what penalties were assessed in their match.
2004 AZ: Semifinals, GM Industrial Design; SoCal: Winners, Leadership in Controls; Championship: Galileo #2 seed, Q-finals; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finalist, RadioShack Controls; SVR: Winners, Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Championship: Archimedes Semifinals; IRI: Finalist
2007 LA: Finalist; San Diego: Q-finals; CalGames: Finalist || 2008 San Diego: Q-finals; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finalist
2009 LA: Semifinals; Las Vegas: Q-finals; IRI: #1 Seed, Finalist || 2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finalist
2011 SD: Q-finals; LA: Q-finals || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finalist || 2014 IE: Q-finals, LA: Finalist
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Taking one home in '09.
AKA: Danny McCanney
FRC #0816 (The WesTech Anomaly)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Danny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Danny McC Send a message via MSN to Danny McC

Hm I don't know if that would help so much. I mean if you're scouts are doing their jobs they can tell you which teams get penalties and which didn't. And if you think you should pick them they were doing something right.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer620 View Post
The announcing was outstanding at Chessie. The penalties were ascribed to the team incurring them and described to help the fans understand but would it be really hard to add a column to the standings board with a running total of penalties incurred. Think how that would change alliance selections!
If the scoring system works the way I think it does, it would be a significant amount of work to create this, penalties are currently not entered into the computer by team, in fact no data is. Everything is entered by alliances (penalties and scores) and the computer does the legwork of determining QS, RS and MP of each team.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

One issue you could run into is that sometimes a team isn't the one responsible for the penalty. I remember two years ago, my team was called for having 3 teams playing defense (when you could only have two) because we were the last team to cross the line. Before the match, however, we decided that a different team would be the 'back bot' so the penalty was due to thier mistake, not ours.

I think it is better to have the scout watching that team to understand all the rules and be able to recognize what they did to recieve the penalty.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:06 PM
FRC #2199 (Robo-lions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikesrock View Post
If the scoring system works the way I think it does, it would be a significant amount of work to create this, penalties are currently not entered into the computer by team, in fact no data is. Everything is entered by alliances (penalties and scores) and the computer does the legwork of determining QS, RS and MP of each team.
Which brings up my other question. Does anyone know what the RS algorithm is? Every time I think I understand it something changes my mind.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:13 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer620 View Post
Which brings up my other question. Does anyone know what the RS algorithm is? Every time I think I understand it something changes my mind.
See 9.3.5 and 9.3.8.

Wetzel
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)

thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

I know in 06 and 07 the penalties for each individual team were put on the scoreboard at the end of the match
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:39 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott Send a message via Skype™ to Alexa Stott

At the end of the match, the penalties were usually announced and which team received them. Our scouts kept track of this and it greatly influenced our alliance selections at NJ. For example, some teams were very fast and could get many laps, but would get called for high-speed ramming, a 10-pt. penalty that negates 5 laps.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Good old Parker
AKA: Michael
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Driver

hoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to hoorayforpink

At the Florida Regional most penalties were announced after the match along wiht who did them. But you really shouldn't need them to. I did a good bit of scouting and you can usually tell when a robot your watching gets a penalty. Keep one eye on the robot and one eye on the refs and your pretty much set
2008 Hawaii Champs with 254 and 2454
2007 Archimedes champion and World Finalists thanks to 71 and 179
2008 TNT Champs thanks to 744 and 1999

Think Poofs
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

I think this would be a very good idea. Someone at the scoring table would have to fill in a spreadsheet listing Match Number, Team Number, and Rule Number. The spreadsheet could be displayed on a screen in the pit area.

All too often, the penalty announcements are not specific enough. "The Red Alliance earned 20 points in penalties for 'breaking the plane'." OK, but which team(s). Or, "There were 3 penalties on the Red Alliance, two for Team X and one for Team Y."
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I believe
AKA: Foxy
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH)

Rookie Year: 2007
Josh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to Josh Fox

as a team we tried to keep scouting data on penalties incurred and it definitely played a role in our alliance selection because of the large weight of penalties ad there more often than not decision on the outcome of a given match

2014 Archimedes Finalist - 27 | 33 | 334 | 175
2014 Michigan State Champions - 27 | 33 | 314
2014 Michigan State Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Chairman's Award

Team RUSH Alum and Mentor, EWCP Member, all views expressed are solely my own unless explicitly stated
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:39 PM
FRC #1379 (GearDevils)

Rookie Year: 2003
alicen is a jewel in the roughalicen is a jewel in the roughalicen is a jewel in the roughalicen is a jewel in the rough

The refs don't announce which team out ofthe alliance individually gets what penalties, but they do keep track. I saw the sheet at our regional where they had written down how many penalties each team got over the course of hte weekend. Surprisingly enough, there were some teams with no penalties, but at the other end there were teams with 6-7 penalties. The refs aren't allowed to give out this information to teams for various reasons.

I found out about it after the competition was over.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: