OCCRA
Go to Post I'd like to think FIRST hasn't completely transformed into a money hungry self serving corporation. I'd like to think they actually still think they care about us. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science > NASA Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
NASA Concludes Attempts to Contact Mars Rover Spirit

From http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/me...r20110524.html :

Quote:
PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA is ending attempts to regain contact with the long-lived Mars Exploration Rover Spirit, which last communicated on March 22, 2010.

A transmission that will end on Wednesday, May 25, will be the last in a series of attempts. Extensive communications activities during the past 10 months also have explored the possibility that Spirit might reawaken as the solar energy available to it increased after a stressful Martian winter without much sunlight. With inadequate energy to run its survival heaters, the rover likely experienced colder internal temperatures last year than in any of its prior six years on Mars. Many critical components and connections would have been susceptible to damage from the cold.

Engineers' assessments in recent months have shown a very low probability for recovering communications with Spirit. Communications assets that have been used by the Spirit mission in the past, including NASA's Deep Space Network of antennas on Earth, plus two NASA Mars orbiters that can relay communications, now are needed to prepare for NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission. MSL is scheduled to launch later this year.

"We're now transitioning assets to support the November launch of our next generation Mars rover, Curiosity," said Dave Lavery, NASA’s program executive for solar system exploration. "However, while we no longer believe there is a realistic probability of hearing from Spirit, the Deep Space Network may occasionally listen for any faint signals when the schedule permits."

Spirit landed on Mars on Jan. 3, 2004, for a mission designed to last three months. After accomplishing its prime-mission goals, Spirit worked to accomplish additional objectives. Its twin, Opportunity, continues active exploration of Mars.

For more information on the Mars rovers, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/rovers or http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Exploration Rover Project and Mars Science Laboratory for the NASA Science Mission Directorate, Washington.

The final transmission will happen on Sol 2627 of Spirit's 90-Sol mission, after she travelled 7,730 meters along the original 600-meter path. The rover lasted 29 times longer than originally expected, and traveled nearly 13 times further than we thought she would. Every extra sol of operations was a bonus of science return that we never really expected.

We are not having a funeral - we will be having a full blown Irish Wake celebration of the successes of this wonderful machine and the enormous science return she provided. The best legacy of this little machine is the inspiration she provided to a whole generation of future explorers who witnessed the unveiling of a planet through the eyes of a robot. The greatest product of the project will be the next mission, the Mars Science Laboratory, which Spirit enabled.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 04:53 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NASA Concludes Attempts to Contact Mars Rover Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
The best legacy of this little machine is the inspiration she provided to a whole generation of future explorers who witnessed the unveiling of a planet through the eyes of a robot.
Spotlight that.

Tears ...
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Spud Gun Division
AKA: Leav Oz-Ari
FRC #3316 (D-Bug) & FRC #2630 (ThunderBolts)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Leav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Leav Send a message via AIM to Leav Send a message via MSN to Leav Send a message via Skype™ to Leav

Spirit ,Opportunity and the engineers who developed them have been a constant source of inspiration over the years.

To all the engineers who worked on these and other projects at NASA: Thanks for working so hard and showing us mortals how it's done!

Participated in FIRST as a student: 2005-2006 (But still learning every season!)
Mentor: 2008 - ? (Team 2630 2008-2011, and Team 3316 since 2013)
Engineer: 2011 - ? (B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Mech. Eng. from the Technion IIT)
FIRST Volunteer - 2007 - ? (MC, FTA, FIRST Aid etc.)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

To bring this extraordinary accomplishment into our time frames:

My daughter's FLL team competed in Mission Mars. They were very inspired by the Spirit and Opportunity Rovers. They participated in the FLL World Festival the first time it was held in Atlanta. Spirit's mission was supposed to be over about the time CMP was held. Instead, it kept on going through the entire run of CMP's in Atlanta, and Opportunity has lasted into the St Louis era.

Great job by NASA, JPL and all the others involved.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:34 AM
FRC #0237

Rookie Year: 2003
JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute

What an amazing ride. Congrats to all that worked on the project.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
To bring this extraordinary accomplishment into our time frames:

My daughter's FLL team competed in Mission Mars. They were very inspired by the Spirit and Opportunity Rovers. They participated in the FLL World Festival the first time it was held in Atlanta. Spirit's mission was supposed to be over about the time CMP was held. Instead, it kept on going through the entire run of CMP's in Atlanta, and Opportunity has lasted into the St Louis era.

Great job by NASA, JPL and all the others involved.
Me too! I was in FLL for Mission Mars, and now I have friends working at JPL.

Congratulations to the entire team!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Gearing up for the next round
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the money saved by not buying the extended warranty paid for the Mars Science Laboratory.

Spirit has served us well, but now it's asleep. Let's party to say farewell and celebrate all it's done for us.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the amazement in how well it performed. Anytime something lasts that much longer then it was supposed to, that is amazing. Even more so given how complex it must be and that the operating conditions were hardly known. I'm still struggling with the contributions it provided throughout its life. Anyone know what its biggest success was for us other then simply surviving? Not trying to be a downer, I just want to rejoice too.

Jason

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Spirit's successes went way beyond those that were established as the original science objectives of the mission. Measured against the original mission success criteria, Spirit's accomplishments included:

- Located and characterized a variety of rocks and soils that held clues to past water activity. In particular, samples found included minerals deposited by water-related processes such as precipitation, evaporation, sedimentary cementation, or hydrothermal activity.

- Determined the distribution and composition of minerals, rocks, and soils surrounding the landing sites.

- Determined what geologic processes shaped the local terrain and influenced the chemistry. Such processes included water / wind erosion, sedimentation, volcanism, and cratering.

- Performed "ground truth" -- calibration and validation -- of surface observations made by Mars orbiter instruments. This helped determine the accuracy and effectiveness of various instruments that survey Martian geology from orbit.

- Searched for iron-containing minerals, and identified and quantified relative amounts of specific mineral types that contained water or were formed in water, such as iron-bearing carbonates.

- Characterized the mineralogy and textures of rocks and soils and determine the processes that created them.

- Searched for geological clues to the environmental conditions that existed when liquid water was present. Assessed whether those environments were conducive to life.

Beyond the mission success criteria, Spirit drove 7.73 kilometers, more than 12 times the 600-meter goal set for the mission. The drives crossed a plain to reach a distant range of hills that appeared as mere bumps on the horizon from the landing site; climbed slopes up to 30 degrees as Spirit became the first robot to summit a hill on another planet; and covered more than a kilometer after Spirit's right-front wheel became immobile in 2006. The rover returned more than 124,000 images. It ground the surfaces off 15 rock targets and scoured 92 targets with a brush to prepare the targets for inspection with spectrometers and a microscopic imager. The drill aboard the rover was so well used that the drill bit became completely worn out by mid-way through the mission.

One major finding came, ironically, from dragging the inoperable right-front wheel as the rover was driving backwards in 2007. That wheel plowed up bright white soil. Spirit's Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer and Miniature Thermal Emission Spectrometer revealed that the bright material was nearly pure silica. This was one of the most important discoveries by either rover for the entire mission (so far). It showed that there were once hot springs or geothermal activity in the region, which could have been an environment conducive to the formation of microbial life.

Likewise, the data from Spirit's Miniature Thermal Emission Spectrometer (Mini-TES) and Moessbauer Spectrometer showed a high concentration of carbonates. This is further evidence of a wet, non-acidic ancient environment that was very unlike the cold, dry Mars that we know today.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:23 PM
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Spirit's successes went way beyond those that were established as the original science objectives of the mission. Measured against the original mission success criteria, Spirit's accomplishments included:

- Located and characterized a variety of rocks and soils that held clues to past water activity. In particular, samples found included minerals deposited by water-related processes such as precipitation, evaporation, sedimentary cementation, or hydrothermal activity.

- Determined the distribution and composition of minerals, rocks, and soils surrounding the landing sites.

- Determined what geologic processes shaped the local terrain and influenced the chemistry. Such processes included water / wind erosion, sedimentation, volcanism, and cratering.

- Performed "ground truth" -- calibration and validation -- of surface observations made by Mars orbiter instruments. This helped determine the accuracy and effectiveness of various instruments that survey Martian geology from orbit.

- Searched for iron-containing minerals, and identified and quantified relative amounts of specific mineral types that contained water or were formed in water, such as iron-bearing carbonates.

- Characterized the mineralogy and textures of rocks and soils and determine the processes that created them.

- Searched for geological clues to the environmental conditions that existed when liquid water was present. Assessed whether those environments were conducive to life.

Beyond the mission success criteria, Spirit drove 7.73 kilometers, more than 12 times the 600-meter goal set for the mission. The drives crossed a plain to reach a distant range of hills that appeared as mere bumps on the horizon from the landing site; climbed slopes up to 30 degrees as Spirit became the first robot to summit a hill on another planet; and covered more than a kilometer after Spirit's right-front wheel became immobile in 2006. The rover returned more than 124,000 images. It ground the surfaces off 15 rock targets and scoured 92 targets with a brush to prepare the targets for inspection with spectrometers and a microscopic imager. The drill aboard the rover was so well used that the drill bit became completely worn out by mid-way through the mission.

One major finding came, ironically, from dragging the inoperable right-front wheel as the rover was driving backwards in 2007. That wheel plowed up bright white soil. Spirit's Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer and Miniature Thermal Emission Spectrometer revealed that the bright material was nearly pure silica. This was one of the most important discoveries by either rover for the entire mission (so far). It showed that there were once hot springs or geothermal activity in the region, which could have been an environment conducive to the formation of microbial life.

Likewise, the data from Spirit's Miniature Thermal Emission Spectrometer (Mini-TES) and Moessbauer Spectrometer showed a high concentration of carbonates. This is further evidence of a wet, non-acidic ancient environment that was very unlike the cold, dry Mars that we know today.

-dave
More then I could have asked for. Thanks for the summary. Now we can all marvel at what can only be seen as a success and still be considered an understatement.

Jason

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Tis a sad and happy day. Made me think of this...
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

- Traditional gaelic blessing

Here's to you little one.
www.wildstang.org
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from wear and tear (damaged wheel, worn out drill) and markings, are there differences between the Spirit and Opportunity rovers -- or were they built as exact twins?
----------

Happy Birthday, Dave!
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

If not exactly alike, Spirit and Opportunity are at least as alike as practice and competition bots.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2011, 11:35 AM
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

I'm not usually one to propose space missions but considering how well this Rover did, any chance of a retrieval as part of a future mission?

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Perpetually Stunned Speechless
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

Congratulations NASA. Thank you Dave for the great commentary.

As I am now a Data Miner, how much data (in terms of time to analyze it, on average or a ballpark estimate) are there from the two rovers left to look at? What is the nature of this data? Any further elaborations are greatly appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: