OCCRA
Go to Post Dang! The 2008 game piece was supposed to be a secret. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Sometimes I do neat stuff.
AKA: Katie Widen
FRC #3928 (Neutrino), Alumni of 1675 (UPS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Katie_UPS
No Team Should have to Resort to a D-bot (and how to avoid doing so)

Hello CD,

As teams settle into their robot strategies, I'd like to throw this out there:

I am a big fan of competitive regionals. I'm a big fan of teams realizing their potential. I'm a big fan of helping teams.

I'm not a big fan of box-bots (you know, the robot that can only drive). Instead of bringing down the best teams, I want to bring up the bottom teams and work to eliminate box-bots.

I wrote a blog post that's relatively long but fairly informative. It doesn't give you drawings or designs, just basic robots concepts that will be fairly competitive in this year's game.

If your team is thinking of building a purely defense robot, read this. Please.
Anyone else, you're welcome to read it as well. Maybe pass it on to a team who you think could benefit from it.

If you do take my advice or are already following a similar path, let me know. I want to keep tabs on you.
If you think it's awful, I respect that and would appreciate feedback from you as well.

42 Days Until Ship (or Stop Build Day)!
Team Neutrino
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:06 AM
AKA: Adversify
FRC #5102 (PAL Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
Marc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No Team Should have to Resort to a D-bot (and how to avoid doing so)

Defensive bots(that are built well) can be a huge game changer. Often times defense decides who wins. Now i'm not a big fan of box-bots either but saying that every team should build an offense bot isn't necessarily a good solution.

A good compromise, I think, is building a defensive robot(if that's the rout a team wants to take) but incorporate some feature that allows it to score points, say in the endgame. Last year a defensive robot with a good minibot was very competitive, this year a defensive robot that also allows for easier balancing could be very competitive.

FLL Mentor and Competition Judge 2012-2014
Student-Mentor FRC 5102, 2014 : 14-14-1
Student-Mentor FRC 3925, 2015
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

To put it simply: It is too easy this year to build a good defensive drivetrain. The GDC knew that and added tiers to the game. Strong incentives to score high but subtle bonuses for scoring low. The end game has a must do element to it because of the high value. Too many teams will basically have trouble getting past the Kitbot on Steroids because they have no mechanical help.

If you are reading this, you have more help than you could imagine. Ask questions, after reading the rules. Try things, then show the world and ask for help. Communication alone will take you to the eliminations of this competition if you are willing to work harder than you may have ever worked.

Don't be stupid, read the rules, build something better than a pure defense robot. It's week 1. Don't give up on offense yet. It's too important. But keep your traction wheels at the ready.

I love this game.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)

Last edited by Chris is me : 01-11-2012 at 01:17 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:35 AM
FRC #0753 (The High Desert Droids)

Rookie Year: 2002
jason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc S. View Post
Defensive bots(that are built well) can be a huge game changer. Often times defense decides who wins. Now i'm not a big fan of box-bots either but saying that every team should build an offense bot isn't necessarily a good solution.

A good compromise, I think, is building a defensive robot(if that's the rout a team wants to take) but incorporate some feature that allows it to score points, say in the endgame. Last year a defensive robot with a good minibot was very competitive, this year a defensive robot that also allows for easier balancing could be very competitive.
I think that the OP makes the mistake of directly associating defense bots with box-bots. It is true that simple box-bots made with little more than the kit-bot are not very competitive, which I think is more what the OP is trying to say. I think a strong defensive bot needs to be capable of starving the other team of balls and/or be very good at balancing to be called such, which will take active design beyond the kit-bot.

I do have to agree with the OP, though, that offensive bots will be more competitive than similarly strong defensive bots, more and more in these games, a strong offensive has been able to overwhelm even the strongest defense. A good defensive bot might be able to get you good standings at a regional, but it won't go nearly as far at championships. Many of the qualities that will make a strong defensive bot will also make a good offensive bot, so why not implement a design that can be both?

Any way you look at it, simple kit-bots are going to be the least competitive and it is good to show people that it doesn't take much to get beyond that.

Hopefully that all made sense, I'm pretty tired right now
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_UPS View Post
Hello CD,

I'm not a big fan of box-bots (you know, the robot that can only drive). Instead of bringing down the best teams, I want to bring up the bottom teams and work to eliminate box-bots.
Quoted for the Truth!

-RC
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
FRC #2438

3v3rnoob is an unknown quantity at this point

When you consider the fouls that are in place for this game, a brick-bot likely isn't going to do very well in this game; a robot that gets blocked as it gets closer to the hoops to score will just retreat to the safety of the key. Playing defense on them there won't work as well as you might hope, as touching them gives the other team points and, as per the rules, their robot can be taller than yours in their scoring zone.

If the brick-bot would like to block another robot as it crosses the bridges with a payload of balls for scoring, they're SOL there as well, because touching a robot while it is touching its alliance's bridge gives it points too.

All in all, brick-bots will do poorly this year. They are not a good idea and all teams should aspire to not build one.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Even if a defensive bot catches and pushes an opposing bot around they have to be careful which direction they are pushing them. If they end up pushing them into the key they get a penalty. Not only should the Key be a robot free zone but he re should be an aura of distance so you don't get tapped and get a penalty because a part of the robot is still in contact with the Key. Shots could be hard to come by this year so getting penalties is giving it away for free.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Lady Logistics
AKA: Renee
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
Littleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Littleswimmer14

FRC 3630 made a table that went over Qualifying Points and how you can get them here. That might be something to add?

I'll do my best to pass along through GOFIRST. Thanks for the write up and analysis I know at least one of my teams will check it out.

Renee

Mentor FRC 4690, 4545, 1529 ~ FRC 1675 Alumni
Co-Founder of Assisting Creative Energy - www.assistingcreativeenergy.com
Founder of the MN Alumni Organization, GO FIRST - Est. 2009
2011-2014 NEMO/Roundtable Meeting Facilitator- WI, IL, MN, IN
2012- 2013 FSM- MN & FRC 3184 Mentor
2013 - 2014 FIRST Vista - IN

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
VirginiaFIRST FTA
AKA: Jack of all trades, Master of few
FRC #1610 (BOT (Forget not 616))

Rookie Year: 2001
pyroslev is on a distinguished road

Boxes with wheels never play the game how it's meant to be. Most teams never set out to make that driving box but we always end up with a few that just drive. The common ones I see are the robots that were over on weight so they ditch the big gun they had. More than once, you've seen a piece of robot left there cause of weight or it just didn't work.

That being said a Team setting up their alliance is gonna consider a box robot that might only be able to drive for one reason: Bridge.

Fitting three bots on the bridge full size is not easy, not fun but it is doable. If you got a box bot that can do something consistently and well in addition to drive with a small footprint, a Box with skill might have it's ticket into the tournament.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Optimist Alumnus
AKA: Nathan
FRC #1189 (Gearheads)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

If you're planning on a box bot, you'd better darn sure be able to balance well on that bridge. I just can't see the actual playing of defense being as useful this year, unless the team is really skilled and avoids penalties.
Year 4: Learned about Promise

I came to robotics for the robot, but stayed for the people

2012/13 Melancholic retiree and wistful dreamer
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
If you're planning on a box bot, you'd better darn sure be able to balance well on that bridge. I just can't see the actual playing of defense being as useful this year, unless the team is really skilled and avoids penalties.
I think that good defense will have a very strong showing in this game, but good defense is more than just pushing!
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Electrical/Programming Mentor
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

This is similar to Breakaway... you could play defense with a box on wheels, but it wouldn't be all that great. The good defenders were able to get balls and clear them out to the other side of the field where their offense could use them. It's all about ball starvation/control!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:51 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

I agree with Katie and many others here, but simply put the rules allow for a significant amount of defense and that's what you're going to see, period. IMHO I see three type of teams that become defensive oriented:

1. a team that builds and develops strategy that way from the start
2. a team that runs out of time during build and never gets to the manipulator time-wise (no matter how much "help" there is in the community, the resources (time, human, etc) just aren't there to build and test it)
3. a team that shows up at an event and the manipulator just doesn't work well (design flaws, bit off more than they could chew, etc), so they "turn into" a defensive team during the event.

In my mind, until all of those factors can be addressed in both game design and in team development/planning BEFORE kickoff, you're going to get what you're going to get.

Will a thread like this sway a few? Sure. Do I like the concept presented here? You bet. I just don't think that it's going to make a significant enough difference to address Katie's (and others) concerns.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.

Last edited by Rich Kressly : 02-14-2012 at 09:24 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Always Aspiring
AKA: Aren Siekmeier
FRC #2175 (The Fighting Calculators)

Rookie Year: 2008
compwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond reputecompwiztobe has a reputation beyond repute

Good defense in this game is going to be getting balls that are missed or neglected and moving them to your side and closer to being scored. And you're already part way there to scoring them yourself! You also only need to drive well (with some enhancements perhaps) to score in the "end game" if you could call it that, the bridge.

Let's make these matches exciting. A match with 6 robots that can't score isn't any fun, especially for those participating. If you're here, don't hesitate to look for help if you need it. If you are in a position to provide help, don't hesitate to find teams who need it.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Offense wins games, but defense wins championships.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: