OCCRA
Go to Post Welcome to ChiefDelphi a month before Kick-Off. This is an annual traditional experience for quite a few regulars. - synth3tk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > CD-Media > Photos
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

photos

papers

everything



Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

AaronSonn

By: AaronSonn
New: 05-05-2012 01:55 PM
Updated: 05-05-2012 01:55 PM
Views: 2005 times


Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

This is a basic idea for an 8 wheel drive using 4" Plaction wheels with .125" dropped center wheels. The current configuration is with a Toughbox Mini with a 5.95:1 gearing and a 22 tooth drive sprocket and 32 tooth driven sprocket using #25 chain.

Recent Viewers

  • Guest

Discussion

view entire thread

Reply

05-05-2012 03:37 PM

jblay


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

This chassis is just begging to have AM Shifters sit on top of those side rails.

Good looking chassis, looks like you will need to do a lot of machining on it. What's the clearance from the bottom of the chassis to the ground?



05-05-2012 03:43 PM

steelerborn


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

What is the sheet-metal thickness?



05-05-2012 07:29 PM

Borobo


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

you might want to think about putting another frame member somewhere in the middle of the side rails, especially with the heavy pocketing on the end members, it looks like it wouldn't be very rigid.



05-06-2012 03:21 PM

AaronSonn


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblay View Post
This chassis is just begging to have AM Shifters sit on top of those side rails.

Good looking chassis, looks like you will need to do a lot of machining on it. What's the clearance from the bottom of the chassis to the ground?
We have a laser cutting sponsor that would be able to cut the frame out, so the only in house machining is really the spacers and driveshafts. It has 1.125" clearance in the middle and 1" on either side.



05-06-2012 03:22 PM

AaronSonn


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerborn View Post
What is the sheet-metal thickness?
.1"



05-06-2012 08:01 PM

AaronSonn


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borobo View Post
you might want to think about putting another frame member somewhere in the middle of the side rails, especially with the heavy pocketing on the end members, it looks like it wouldn't be very rigid.
There will be a cross member when there is a special function added.



05-06-2012 08:13 PM

tzjin


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

Why not have the gearboxes in the center? An 8WD needs to have a center of gravity somewhere over the two middle wheels, or it will rock violently while turning. Chain will also be nicer if its symmetric on both sides.



05-07-2012 11:39 AM

Yalib


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

If you bring the two middle wheels on each side closer to each other you would probably get better turning ability.. looks good!
good luck!



05-07-2012 11:53 AM

sdcantrell56


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalib View Post
If you bring the two middle wheels on each side closer to each other you would probably get better turning ability.. looks good!
good luck!
If anything the center wheels should be further apart to avoid lots of rocking. 8wd with even spaced wheels already has a much shorter track length than a 6wd layout. Splitting the difference in lengths by spacing the center wheels apart seems to be the sweet spot.



05-07-2012 11:55 AM

ttldomination


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzjin View Post
Why not have the gearboxes in the center? An 8WD needs to have a center of gravity somewhere over the two middle wheels, or it will rock violently while turning. Chain will also be nicer if its symmetric on both sides.

I think if you maintain your COB on any portion of the DT, it'll really be ok. Sometimes, it's preferred that the gearbox is in the front/back to leave for a large mechanism/intake. Either way, I can say that on a 6WD it wasn't that bad, and I doubt it'll be as bad on a 8WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalib View Post
If you bring the two middle wheels on each side closer to each other you would probably get better turning ability.. looks good!
good luck!
Bringing the two middle wheels closer will allow for better turning, however, I think it will also cause relatively more rocking/disturbance. I suppose this is why we've seen various teams opt for the 8WD, but the middle wheels are actually spaced out *more* for added stability.

- Sunny G.



05-07-2012 06:40 PM

tzjin


Unread Re: pic: Prototype 8 Wheel Drive Chasis

A 6WD needs to be slightly off-balanced so it stays on the same 4 wheels while turning. However, I do see your point of having more room for a mechanism or controls system.



view entire thread

Reply
previous
next

Tags

loading ...



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi