PDA

View Full Version : The *New* Chiefdelphi

Joe Matt
11-08-2002, 08:57 PM
So, how do you like the enhancements?

I personaly like the spotlight quotes. Really adds a punch to a new comer to see what we have here.

Second, I also have some recomendations. Hopefully some will get answered, but none the less, they're out there now.

1.) Add a current system using option under the username, kinda like the what song are you listening to. So you can see if their running, XP, 2000, 10.2.2, or whatnot.

2.) Larger avitars. Mabey?

3.) HTML code in sig's? Please? I have countdown timers I can do that will look cool.

Any other comments?

Brandon Martus
11-08-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by JosephM

1.) Add a current system using option under the username, kinda like the what song are you listening to. So you can see if their running, XP, 2000, 10.2.2, or whatnot.

Another profile option? I don't really see how operating system would play into FIRST... maybe programming, in some bizarre way. Does it really need its own input box in user profile?

2.) Larger avitars. Mabey?

How much larger?

3.) HTML code in sig's? Please? I have countdown timers I can do that will look cool.

I don't think I'd allow html in sigs, sorry. Too much of a vunerability. Send me an e-mail and maybe we can work something out.

Jack
11-08-2002, 09:29 PM
First, i'll say that i like the quotes. Second, yes someone could make a script to add the OS to the sig, but i think that it would be easier to just type it in yourself if you want it there. I know, not a cool, but how often do you change your OS? And, if it works with XP, it might not work with 95 or Lunix or Macs. Having larger avatars would be cool, but it might throw off the formatting and would take more server space / bandwidth. Finally, html in the sigs i don't think would be a good idea. Yes, a cool person would use it to make something look good, but someone that is dumb would just screw up the entire page's formatting, and having brandon look at 2000 sigs to see if they are good is overload. I think this was brought up when making the ListenTo hack, about allowing Java Script. Yes, with js you could do even worse things.

Overall, i like the changes

PS: What is the spotlight thing at the bottem of the message?

<edit> Ahh... Brandon replyed before i posted my message! Oh well. </edit>

<edit 2x>I read the post on the spotlight, and it looks cool</edit 2x>

evulish
11-08-2002, 09:29 PM
It seems as though your OS may be a bit irrelevant in an actual post. Maybe something like most commonly used OS in the user profile would be a bit more practical.

As for larger avatars, eww. I think they're at a fine size right now....Brandon got the size perfect :P IMO, anything bigger would be too much. Also, it could bog down some of our slower users...downloading 20 small images may not seem much to a broadband user but it's a bit of work for a 26400 connection (and telling them to disable images is mean since it worked fine before the size got changed :)).

And how do you do countdown things in HTML? (You could always do like freebie counters do and just create an image with the number in it then use the img tags from vBb)

Of course, these are all just my opinions...*shrug*

evulish
11-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Jack
I know, not a cool, but how often do you change your OS? And, if it works with XP, it might not work with 95 or Lunix or Macs.

Well, I change my OS multiple times a day from Win95 to Win98 to WinME to Linux. (Icky...my school uses Win95/98 and sometimes I'm stuck on WinME at home) Aaand...IIRC, in HTTP 1.1, a User-Agent line is sent stating the browser engine, the browser, and the OS...so most likely, it would work with most Os's/browsers.

Man...I need to find some better reading than RFC documents :P

sanddrag
11-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by evulish
And how do you do countdown things in HTML?

DHTML

or there's a simpler JavaScript script that goes something like this:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT">

ccDayNow = new Date();
ccDayThen = new Date("January 4, 2003")
msPerDay = 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000 ;
timeLeft = (ccDayThen.getTime() - ccDayNow.getTime());
cc_daysLeft = timeLeft / msPerDay;
daysLeft = Math.floor(cc_daysLeft);
cc_hrsLeft = (cc_daysLeft - daysLeft)*24;
hrsLeft = Math.floor(cc_hrsLeft);
minsLeft = Math.floor((cc_hrsLeft - hrsLeft)*60);
document.write( ""+daysLeft+" days left until the 2003 FIRST Robotics Kickoff");
</SCRIPT>

<edit>But this one does not give you real-time counting. You need to refresh the page it's on. The DHTML one does countdown in real-time but the code is obviously much longer.</edit>