PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU think about making agreements?

punarhero
03-17-2003, 12:32 AM
I just wanted to know general opinion of everyone after reading all the treads. Would you engage in an agreement with your opponent to leave the stacks alone?

Alex1072
03-17-2003, 12:35 AM
i voted for doing it, but under the assumption that it would be agreed upon as fair.

punarhero
03-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Don't vote under any condition. Vote to show what you think about this issue. It hasn't been DECIDED if it is fair or not. I think this poll will show if it is fair because it'll show what the FIRST community thinks about it

Alex1072
03-17-2003, 12:39 AM
What I meant was, I think it is fair, but if everyone else decides it is not, I will go along with the majority.

punarhero
03-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Oh, and please read all the treads about "making agreements with you opponents" before you vote. I think we would all like to see what people thinks after considering everyone else's point of view.

AlbertW
03-17-2003, 12:45 AM
under no circumstances is this "fair." it raises the scores of four teams, and four teams only

"but any team could do it, it would give everyone an advantage"

what about the teams that are designed to stack, and are GOOD at it? they aren't at a disadvantage by making an agreement, but they lose the advantage that their design gave them if they do make the deal, they lose their advantage. if they don't make the deal, everyone else has an advantage.

agreeing not to knock over stacks was a stupid idea to begin with. the only thing "fair" about it is that everyone can do it, but it's not always in everyone's best interest to do it.

punarhero
03-17-2003, 12:48 AM
I am taking a statistics course at school and I think that any discussion about the issue on this pool would produce poor results. Please just cast a vote. Your opinions are more than welcome on 3+ treads that discuss this issue

ngreen
03-17-2003, 12:50 AM
My only reason I see to go against it is because of pressure from more experienced team with great powerful robots who think they should go and compete in an all out war in order to obliterate teams of lesser experience in their robot who are afraid of lesser robots outplaying their almighty robot in the long run. I wouldn't say rookie teams don't have GP, they have just not been molded to believe that there is only one way to compete fairly and honestly and in the spirit of FIRST. To force a set of beliefs for your personal benefit is not GP.

But as to would I do it, I'm still mildly divided. I think I would consider it as a viable option. If a majority of teams believe it a cheap ploy to win QP points and should be frowned upon, I would abstain from such practices. But now I believe it is a strategy for the Qualifying Round. To modify the strategy to certain situations is the best ideas.

To say the least, I would not be offended if another team offered up this suggestion. I might say no to it because of implications from teams or it doesn't work into our current strategy, not because I see it as a un- GP.

SORRY! I Didn't see your post. I vote pro-agreement for now.

pras870
03-17-2003, 08:38 AM
I would never do it AGAIN. Our team, 870, was allied with Rage and were going against a team they mentor and the Techno Ticks. Basically we were all in the top 8 seeds, and wanted to maximize our points to not have anyone drop in the standings by having all 4 bots on the top at the end. Well, to put it bluntly, Techno Ticks totally screwed us and did not listen at all, we were winning and I suppose pride came into play, and thanks to that, we dropped from #6 to #15, will never do it again.

Alexander McGee
03-17-2003, 09:28 AM
A million times NO

please sign the petition against this practice.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19301

thanks

Perseus
03-17-2003, 05:15 PM
fixing to leave the stacks alone is cheating....period the stacks are 1/2 the game, thats like saying in football, two teams agree not to pressure the QB, its complete bull....just like that "chokehold" strategy last year where teams pulled out to give the other team 0 points

Brandon Martus
03-18-2003, 06:56 PM
I think the 3+ threads have accomplished enough discussion about this.

Let's put it on the back burner and bring it up in a week or so if there's more to be said.

Ken L said it best:Take a few steps back, spend a day or two reading what's been posted, organize your thoughts and think about it, and then figure out what's the best way to fix this problem. And I think locking some of the threads for a day or two will help folks think more clearly.