PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout & FIRST

nragod
03-30-2003, 11:28 PM
What is the percentage of guys on your team is in the Boy Scouts or all ready has there Eagle(ask them thele know if thay are in scouts)?

Sorry girls, this is for only Boy Scouts on your team.

rbayer
03-30-2003, 11:44 PM
I'm the only Scout on my team, and therefore the only Eagle as well. One of our mentors is involved in Scouting, but I don't know if he ever got his Eagle.

On a related note, how many of you have been to Philmont? I went two years ago and am going back this coming summer (trek 617 B3) and can't wait to get there!

--Rob

Dave_222
03-31-2003, 12:26 AM
We have like 2 scouts but we did a presentation for the scouts over a summer camp and helped them get a badge so that was cool.

EIROBOTICS86
03-31-2003, 04:36 AM
we have eight spanning over two troops

Al Skierkiewicz
03-31-2003, 06:51 AM
We have many scouts on our team. Our driver made Eagle last summer (off season for robots) and all are encouraged. There were four guys that were on one of my Lego teams that became freshmen this year and all of them joined the team. I would estimate that we number about 15 now. I am a former scout leader and until recently was a merit badge counselor for electronics and electricity merit badges. Those, and computer and communications and a variety of other requirements can be met through your involvement in FIRST. Keep up the good work, you can make advances and still participate in FIRST.

Mark McLeod
03-31-2003, 06:58 AM
We have 5 Scouts from three Troops, most of them Life, but no Eagles. One is working his project. I'm a Scoutmaster myself.

One scout has been to Philmont and one of our programmers is going this summer.

jon
03-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by rbayer
On a related note, how many of you have been to Philmont? I went two years ago and am going back this coming summer (trek 617 B3) and can't wait to get there!

I went in 2000.... it was a nice experience. Though, I'm no longer in scouts, I dropped out... partly because of robotics. We do however have a mentor and a student involved in scouting, and another mentor who used to be an assistant in my old troop.

Jeff Waegelin
03-31-2003, 08:27 AM
I think I'm the only Eagle on my team, but I know we have one alum who is, and I think two current members who are working on theirs.

Greg Perkins
03-31-2003, 08:30 AM
Proud Eagle as of March 15th!:)

there are 2 active scouts on our team, also the wheelman was a boyscout but he turned 18.

I also went to the national Jamboree, did anyone else go?

Bad

Al Skierkiewicz
03-31-2003, 08:50 AM
I don't know how I forgot this (mind is still on Midwest regional I guess)...
My son who was on the team from 1996 on, also made Eagle while on the team with two palms. He went to Philmont as a scout twice and worked as a ranger last summer. Anyone going this summer? You will see him at Miner's Park, ask for Mark from Wheeling, IL. I am sure he will talk to you about robots or backpacking. Be sure to say Hi! If you have any questions I will forward them to him.
BTW, Mark is the person who got me into FIRST back in '96 helping with video and I have been here ever since.

Jeff_Rice
03-31-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure, I've never counted. There are a bunch. Quite a few are OA and at least two are eagles- my brother and myself.

157#1Driver
03-31-2003, 09:13 AM
not sure how many are left on our team. I'm an eagle scout myself, I know of a couple others on the team, but not sure if they are still in it. too bad. Which Nation Jamboree you talking about Bad? I went to the one in 97 I believe it was. deffinatly an experince

Ryan Dognaux
03-31-2003, 12:51 PM
Before I got involved in FIRST I was a pretty active scout, but since then I've almost stopped going altogether. The troop just doesn't appeal to me anymore I guess.

Originally posted by rbayer

I went to Philmont back in the summer before my freshman year :) It's a very cool experience, and it really whips you into shape. My crew's number was 722-N. I really recommend that all scouts go there at some point - you won't regret it.

KevK
03-31-2003, 01:45 PM
I went to Philmont last summer, 2002, and it was one of the best trips of my life. I loved the backpacking, staff camps, and activities. Im life now, need 2 more merit badges and my project then i'll be eagle, hope to finish this summer. All scouts should definetly go to Philmont

Ian W.
03-31-2003, 01:53 PM
there's about 2 or 3 scouts on my team, one of them being me. none of us are eagle, but me and my friend are both close. we each have 3 more merit badges (citizenship in the world, physical/personal fitness, and lifesaving/emergency prep), as well as our eagle projects. we both have our projects started, and should have them done by the end of the summer.

the problem i'm having is that my troop has grown significantly in the last year, and the younger kids don't listen, and they make everything not fun. add that on to the fact that everyone is mad that i'm gone for about 8 weeks in the spring (6 weeks of build and two for competition), and scouting has really lost it's appeal. on the other hand, i'm not going to stop now, because i will have wasted a lot of time. plus, being an Eagle scout is so beneficial, i'd be a complete moron to not get it, when i'm this close.

Al Skierkiewicz
03-31-2003, 02:09 PM
Ian,
You will look back on this time in a different light when you are older. As an adult, I am unable to get the Eagle award, that is one of my greatest disappointments in life. It is not just a badge, it is an outward sign that you can complete something you start, that you are a leader instead of a follower, and that you stand alone as all look up to you. It is unfortunate that there is not the same recognition for girls. (i.e. a universally understood sign of the above traits.) We all know you can achieve this goal, but you alone can make it happen.
As for the younger kids, have patience, without you knowing it they are looking up to you for guidance.
Good luck on your path to Eagle.

UCGL_Guy
03-31-2003, 02:31 PM
I have been involved in Scouting for about 10 years now with my oldest recieving his Eagle this last December and my youngest at Star and moving up. The oldest is our driver and Lead student/coach and the leadership skills he learned in Scouting show through. For all of you scouts that have not made Eagle yet, hang in there what you learn by working with those younger scouts, "mentoring" them will pay off later as you learn people skills. I myself completed the adult leaders Woodbadge program and would not trade my experiences there for anything. I wish we could have all FIRST mentors go throught the training as they would have a better appreciation and skills to handle the youth they deal with. BTW
Demonstrations to Cub packs go over big.
Ken York
Troop 509 leader
Team 476 mentor

Quote "The only thing wrong with the Boy Scouts is there are not enough of them" Will Rogers

Tim Allen
03-31-2003, 06:11 PM
I think I'm the only scout on our team, but one of last year's mentors is a scout leader. I only have to turn in my application for eagle, thank goodness I finished my project before FIRST started, and I have until Saturday to get it sent (well, really thursday, because after that I'll be at Lone Star). Some advice for everyone else in scouts, don't wait to finish your Eagle until the last few weeks, life is not fun.

The Lucas
03-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Until last year my team was an Explorer Post, a coed division of the Boy Scouts devoted to engineering. So technically we were all Boy Scouts, even the girls. The team grew out of the very old DuPont Explorer Post, that is how we were created without an official school (we have 15 high schools now and 3 home schooled students). The Explorer Post withdrew its support (and insurance coverage) before the 2002 season. Unfortunately, our team is no longer legally considered a non profit organization since we are no longer affiliated with the Boy Scouts.