PDA

View Full Version : What program do you use for webdesign?

Rez648
05-13-2004, 12:20 PM
What program do you (or your team) use to create your team website?
I just want to get an idea of what teams use what programs.

I used Adobe GoLive 6 to create 648's site because I found that GoLive has more features and you can better control the creation than with Microsoft FrontPage.

Joel J
05-13-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm a big fan of Dreamweaver. But with the CSS explosion of late, Notepad is making a big comeback. I write the initial HTML/CSS in notepad and switch to a browser to see how the site is being rendered. So, I usually have Notepad, Opera, and Internet Explorer open as I work. After the site is done, I usually use Notepad and (::gasp::) Frontpage to make changes to the template. I'm big on quick loading, quick changing, etc. Quick, quick, quick..

Marc P.
05-13-2004, 12:33 PM
I used Quanta under linux for www.nonnebots.com for the coding and layout, and GIMP for graphics.

Yeah, it's sort of cheating, but I'm still not fluent enough in HTML to use vim or some other basic text editor :p

Ryan M.
05-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I really like Dreamweaver. After you get to know your way around, it is a very nice way to do things. :)

Brandon Martus
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
vi to edit .. mozilla & ie to preview.

MrToast
05-13-2004, 01:31 PM
vi to edit .. mozilla & ie to preview.

:D Yay! another Unix person! (even if you do use IE :ahh: )

I use BBEdit Lite and Safari 1.2!

I love Panther :D

MrToast

Joe Matt
05-13-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm a Dreamweaver guy. I totally redesigned our school's webpage on Dreamweaver. I'm more of a visual person, so codeing then tweeking dosn't do it for me, I lose interest. Also, the intergration of Flash and Fireworks is great for drop-down menus.

impulse3D
05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
I use HTML-Kit (http://www.chami.com) for coding. I hate FrontPage mainly for the fact that whenever I edit code in it, if it doesn't like your modifications it deletes them--it can get quite frustrating. I ditched FrontPage quite a while ago (although it was initially the first app that I used); I like knowing that what I write as code is the only thing that's actually in the file. :)

HTML-Kit has helpful syntax highlighting (you really don't need it, but it helps make your work much easier more efficient when you can quickly scan through your code to look for something) and a nice FTP Server feature that allows you to edit content that is directly on the server. It lacks the organizational utilities that Dreamweaver boasts, but for freeware it's a very handy, useful replacement for notepad. Then again, if you design your pages in WYSIWYG, then HTML-Kit isn't going to be for you... :rolleyes:

magnetnerd
05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Notepad all the way. Of course Photoshop and stuff for the graphics.

Pat McCarthy
05-13-2004, 02:23 PM
I use Dreamweaver for most of the stuff, creating new pages, updates, and for managing the site overall. I love dreamweaver! :D It makes everything so easy. However I have to use Frontpage for only one reason, and that is, the word art! When the site was created it was entirely made in Frontpage, and all the titles of the pages use this one type of word art. :mad: I have to get around to changing that and getting more creative. :rolleyes: someday.

Aaron Knight
05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
I alternate between using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and hand-coding. I primarily use Dreamweaver when I'm trying to do more complicated designs as I have trouble hand-coding really complex stuff.

When hand-coding, I use Optima Systems' PageSpinner 4.6 for Mac OS X. Very good and very simple WYSIWYG editor. Textedit works in a pinch, but syntax coloring is very useful :)

gl75
05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
I bought Macromedia Studio 2004 the other day and am even more so impressed with Dreamweaver.

BBEdit is always great, or HomeSite on Windows.

evulish
05-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Textedit works in a pinch, but syntax coloring is very useful :)

Might I recommend irEdit for OS X. Very simplistic, syntax-highlighting editor. I love it. It's not free, but it's cheap. I highly recommend it.

As it might show, I use irEdit for HTML and PHP on my Mac and I use mcedit when I edit directly on my server. (mcedit is the editor that comes with Midnight Commander.. which is much like DOS edit. It has excellent syntax highlighting and is so simple to use. I can use either emacs or vi, but find it so much easier to hit F12, <enter> and be gone!) In Windows, I use notepad (actually, usually, I SSH to my server and edit on there.. so much easier.. eliminates FTP and annoying \r\n slipping into code.) I use Photoshop CS on my Mac for graphics (not that I'm good or anything :P) Or sometimes just iPhoto :)

Aignam
05-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Notepad, on the whole. Once in a while, Dreamweaver for complicated tables and such, but I still prefer hand-coding. I do all of my image design in Photoshop 7.0, of course, and I use IE, Netscape, and Opera to preview and check for compatibility.

MrToast
05-14-2004, 06:08 AM
A friend of mine is working on creating a coder that handles HTML, RB, and a couple other language syntax coloring. From what I've tested so far, it looks like it's going to be an awesome program.

For graphics I use GraphicConverter. Create a mask, then run the mask (with empty picture) through Aquatint (www.sticksoftware.com). This gives my pictures a nice Aqua look (if that's what I'm after). I also use iConCompo to layer images.

MrToast

Nick Fury
05-14-2004, 06:50 AM
VI, VIM, EMACS, XEMACS, the winSCP editor for last minute stuff, and notepad for when I can't get access to an editor with syntax coloring.

LauraN
05-14-2004, 02:15 PM
I've never touched Dreamweaver.

Once upon a time I discovered that I had Front Page installed on my computer as part of the Microsoft Office package, so I decided to try it.

I HATED it and never opened it a second time. Sorry, I just don't like there being stuff in my code that I didn't write. Like all this superfluous font stuff and just...eh.

Noah (Impulse3D) tried to convert me to HTML-kit. The syntax highlighting is nifty, but I can live without it. And the FTP stuff is super convenient, but I don't like the way it previews.

Notepad all the way. =)

kjohnson
05-14-2004, 08:08 PM
I use Internet Design Shop Gold - something that came free with my HP scanner. Very easy to use and make quick changes but I still make my own HTML code for almost everything except the layout. I haven't used Frontpage in a few years - used it once and didn't like it (DSG has all the same features). I'm working on getting a copy of Dreamweaver from the guy that used to do the website and now runs our server because the school doesn't have Dreamweaver - they use Frontpage.

Alex Pelan
05-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Our team uses dreamweaver, although i'm a big proponent of notepad with ie/mozilla to preview. I tried frontpage a couple of years ago, and I must say I didn't like it. It had the same text editing problems and annoying autoformatting that microsoft word has.

Nathan Pell
05-14-2004, 09:29 PM
I am an extreme novice at this, and since our school system bought a copy for every teacher I am using Dreamweaver. If fact, we have the whole suit so I use everything in the Macromedia suit. I really like Dreamweaver as I do a lot of dynamic pages and it makes connecting to the databased a lot easier for me.

Yippee!!

Nathan Pell

05-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Quick question, why use anything else when you have a simple text editor like Notepad or SimpleText?

miketwalker
05-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Quick question, why use anything else when you have a
simple text editor like Notepad or SimpleText?

I agree, I usually just use Notepad or Ultraedit (I use Ultraedit for coding that's not HTML usually because the color-coding makes it ALOT easier to work with when debugging and such) but yea... I think the best work can be done with just hand-coding. But then again, that's just me ;) I'm not a fan of WYSIWYG.

jonathan lall
05-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Quick question, why use anything else when you have a simple text editor like Notepad or SimpleText?
You use something else because Notepad really doesn't make people 1337. Dreamweaver will check tags, spelling, validation, autocomplete, and highlight syntax. It will also manage your website hierarchy quite well through FTP or other means.

plutonium83
05-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Homesite 5 and Photoshop

I started doing HTML with notepad in the beginning and I am able to make a site with it. I dislike Dreamweaver because of the code it generates, most of it is very sloppy and repetitive. I dont expect any better from any other WYSIWYG editor!

Homesite is good enough for my needs, its like notepad designed for HTML with wizards, highlighting, etc.

For Design, I normally "sketch" the page in Photoshop. Then I slice up the image. With sketching I'm able to "see" the site better since I'm a visual person. I highly recommend it.

Joshua May
05-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Straight hardcoding with Notepad. However, when I started out, I used Frontpage 2000 to teach myself HTML and to work on design. I think though that I will try out ConTEXT.

jonathan lall
05-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Homesite 5 and Photoshop

I started doing HTML with notepad in the beginning and I am able to make a site with it. I dislike Dreamweaver because of the code it generates, most of it is very sloppy and repetitive. I dont expect any better from any other WYSIWYG editor!

Homesite is good enough for my needs, its like notepad designed for HTML with wizards, highlighting, etc.

For Design, I normally "sketch" the page in Photoshop. Then I slice up the image. With sketching I'm able to "see" the site better since I'm a visual person. I highly recommend it.
When I first started, I had tried Homesite. While I dislike WYSIWYG, I found that Dreamweaver, left in Coding Mode, works better than Homesite in general. After a brief Notepad phase, I realized that Dreamweaver used properly was far more efficient. It won't "generate" code if you don't use Design (WYSIWYG) Mode.

As for doing a design in Photoshop beforehand, I do no such thing. Aside from the fact that I'm not too crazy about Photoshop, I'm not particularly good at applying a bunch of filters to make 'art' for sites anyway. First I figure out what's going to be on the site, then I figure out the best way to present it, and then I start messing with CSS and images to make a layout.

pludodog
05-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Vi here... Vim, actually. ::thanks god no one has mentioned emacs::

Goobergunch
05-16-2004, 11:25 AM
We generally use Notepad.

Joe Ross
05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Vi here... Vim, actually. ::thanks god no one has mentioned emacs::

Actually, someone did.

Anyone use Mozilla Composer or NVU (http://www.nvu.com)? I really like Mozilla Composer for throwing together a few pages quickly, because it makes it easy to use a combination wysiwyg and hand code editing, and the code that the wysiwyg editor doesn't suck.

Zzyzx
05-16-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm not the Webmaster of our team, so I might have the wrong program, but I beleive that our team (492) uses a progam called ColdFusion. Whatever program we use, our website (http://www.titanrobotics.net/index2.cfm) is still cool.

JAH
05-16-2004, 12:07 PM
I know that my team, Cyber Blue 234, uses Dreamweaver MX. I'm not on the web team, but I spent a good portion of my season in the computer lab working on video for the animation and for PR stuff. Our website is pretty good. Good enough to win the website award at the Phoenix regional. :] Cyber Blue 234's Website (http://www.cyberblue234.com)

impulse3D
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Noah (Impulse3D) tried to convert me to HTML-kit. The syntax highlighting is nifty, but I can live without it. And the FTP stuff is super convenient, but I don't like the way it previews.

Notepad all the way. =)

You rebel. ;)

evulish
05-18-2004, 02:15 AM
I absolutely HATE having to FTP transfer files to the server every time I edit. I would die if I couldn't SSH to my server. There's some problem with my LAN that causes severe lag to my server. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my DSL modem acting as my NATing router, but either way.. it makes connecting via ANYTHING super slow.. and that really kills FTP transfers. I'm so used to editing directly on a server that I'll ask the person for which I'm designing something for a SSH account.

MrToast
05-18-2004, 06:52 AM
At work I have the most horrible setup:

I run Windows NT, w/ Exceed. Exceed is a client to log onto and browse a UNIX server. But it's very difficult to transfer files from Exceed to Windows, so I have to do all the editing using the default editor (Text Editor), which is a GUI wrapped around emacs or vi or something like that. For previewing I use IE, which is the Devil incarnate... :P

MrToast

Clell Chatman
05-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Fully Adobe workspace.

That means GoLive.
It makes working with css so easy and is a much more artistic system then Dreamweaver I think. You can creat a nice site in a single day with it.

Sam Oldak
05-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm very diverse. I use Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and sometimes Swift3d for animation. Sometimes I don't use Dreamweaver at all, and just do the entire thing in Flash or Photoshop.

robot180
05-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I didn't see this mentioned so I guess it is not very popular. The program that I always use is called AceHTML 5 Freeware. (http://freeware.acehtml.com/) I use it all the time, for anything. It is free, not pirated, and has every feature that I use. Web designers should at least try this program out.

I use a program called EditPad to edit stylesheets while I am working on a large website. I use Internet Explorer 6.0 and Mozilla FireFox 0.8 to preview pages.

The site that I trust the most for downloading software is Nonags (www.nonags.com). I go to the free access part of the site. It has programs for just about everything, web design related or other computer programs. This is where I found AceHTML and Editpad. (not notepad) I just got Linux so I don't have enough experience with each program to say what I use there.

Penguin
05-23-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm the webmaster of my team, and if I have any say in the matter, all coding is done in Notepad. The computer administrator at our school got us Dreamweaver, but I refuse to use it, because I don't like it. It's cheating. At least in my opinion. =P

Yay Notepad! And I use Photoshop 7.0 or Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 for all of our image editing stuff. Yup.

Nathan Pell
05-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Why is using Dreamweaver cheating? You can code your heart out with it if you want. I like it because if helps with a lot of stuff, and it is the industry standard from what I am told.

Just my opinion

jonathan lall
05-23-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm the webmaster of my team, and if I have any say in the matter, all coding is done in Notepad. The computer administrator at our school got us Dreamweaver, but I refuse to use it, because I don't like it. It's cheating. At least in my opinion. =P
How is Dreamweaver cheating? I challenge you to make a better site with Notepad than you can with Dreamweaver in the same amount of time. Better yet, just tell me one thing Notepad can do that Dreamweaver can't (and don't say Word Wrap :p). I heard some of the Website Award sites were made with that program, by the way.

robot180
05-24-2004, 02:48 PM
First of all, Dreamweaver has all the great features, I admit. However, the fun in programming a website is taken out when you use those features, aka cheating. Notepad makes you feel like you are in complete control. Dreamweaver just takes more memory, longer to load, slower processing, etc. If you prefer to use Dreamweaver, go ahead, I am just saying why some people prefer notepad. It is personal preference.

From my experience, "industry standard" means nothing. If you are typing all of the code yourself, it doesn't matter whether you use Dreamweaver or the box where you type your posts here on Chiefdelphi. (assuming that you copy and paste it into notepad to save it) It will be the same exact code and it will work exactly the same. (except for factors such as browser, OS, screen resolution, and other differences) I could be missing something, however.

Raven_Writer
05-24-2004, 03:11 PM
If I'm working on a script, or a page on my computer, then I use Notepad. If I'm working on a website that I wanna show the world asap, I use the editor Brinkster has.

So, basically it's 80% of my time Brinkster, 20% of my time Notepad.

tatsak42
05-24-2004, 04:19 PM
I use the text part of Dreamweaver, for the coloring of text so I know where I am. Otherwise, notepad is a party. Especially in scripting, having to know if i have an open ' or if I closed it correctly, the red makes it easy to figure out. Images, use photoshop and/or GIMP. That's about it, I think