PDA

View Full Version : Germans in FIRST?!?

PsychoPhil
04-22-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm a German exchange student staying with a hostfamily in Vermont and all I can say is that I had a great time with my team here in Vermont (#885) and I'll actually try to start a team in Germany just because I had such a good time and I'd like to participate again next year!
I'm from Dorsten in Germany which is pretty far west and a little bit north. Within one hour I can be in the "Ruhrgebiet", on of the largest industrial areas in Germany. I hope to find a machine shop and some engineers as well as some sponsors to help us out in that area...

If there are any other German people that participated this year and will be back in Germany next year, let me know I'd like to talk to you guys!

And if you have any comments, helpoffering, anything that I should know about starting a team or anything else, post it here...

So watch out for the Germans next year,
so long, Philip

Jnadke
04-22-2002, 11:37 PM
Wow! That FIRST-Flu (TM) is pretty contagious.... it's nice to see that you caught it... :)

Pretty soon FIRST will take over the wor... errrmm.... everyone will love FIRST... yeah... love FIRST...

D.J. Fluck
04-22-2002, 11:52 PM
In 2000 our team had 2 foreign exchange students on the team, one from Germany and one from France....it was an interesting year

Leo M
04-23-2002, 06:19 AM
Phil -
I work for a German company - Infineon. One of our engineers, who has since returned to Bavaria, was a mentor in 2000 and 2001. He is without question the strongest FIRST supporter you will ever meet. Contact me by e-mail and I will send you his address. Maybe there is a chance that you can start a team.

Leo.Meire@Infineon.com

Greg Perkins
04-23-2002, 08:41 AM
in 01' we had a exchange student from Denmark, Andreas and he absolutly LOVED first. Well he went back to Denmark, but before he left he had a meeting with the head honcho from BAE SYSTEMS and they made a contact with a big company in Denmark, so hopfully next year there will be a team!!!

Props To Andreas!!

PsychoPhil
04-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by D.J. Fluck
In 2000 our team had 2 foreign exchange students on the team, one from Germany and one from France....it was an interesting year

Do you happen to have the contact information for the German one? I'd like to talk to him maybe he's even interested in helping me to build a team in Germany?!?
If you don't have that information, could you ask within your team and get back to me? That would be really cool...

Thx for all your responses guys, keep 'em coming!!!!

D.J. Fluck
04-23-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by PsychoPhil

Do you happen to have the contact information for the German one? I'd like to talk to him maybe he's even interested in helping me to build a team in Germany?!?
If you don't have that information, could you ask within your team and get back to me? That would be really cool...

Ill see what I can do, i know he graduated HS last year in Germany, and the kid I knew from his host family graduated back in 2000....ehh ill give him [Host family] a call today and see if i can get some contact info for ya

Jan Olligs
04-23-2002, 02:32 PM
Here! I'm a German exchange student too and I'm going to be at the All Stars Sports with team #448.
Looking forward to Florida.

See you in the sun!

ChrisH
04-23-2002, 03:13 PM
There's a chance my company might send me to Holland to work for a couple of years, not too far from the German border (at least by standards out here in the West). The only things I've been dreading about it have been the logistics of the move itself and the FIRST withdrawls. The later would be by far the bigger problem;) at least with the move it's eventually over.

If it happens I'd be willing to help get teams started over on that side of the Pond. If nothing else I can be a service tech type guy and help answer questions. At least I'll be in the right time zone and it would greatly reduce the withdrawl symptoms.:D

PsychoPhil
04-23-2002, 03:36 PM
Sounds cool Chris!

My email address is in my profile and irght HERE (psycho.phil@gmx.de)

Contact me as soon as you know if you are going, that would be awesome...

I'm really surprised how many people I can find in an Aerican FIRST forum to found a GERMAN team, pretty cool...

Keep going with naming more helps, people, etc...

so long, Philip

PS: 7740 SECONDS LEFT TILL I LEAVE FOR EPCOT!!!

PsychoPhil
04-23-2002, 09:31 PM
just wanted to pump the article back up to the top of the list..., so that everybody sees it...

Metalhugginman
04-23-2002, 09:52 PM
It is with much pleasure that "Metal In Motion" will also bring to Orlando two exchange students from Germany. It is our hope that they too will help celebrate FIRST and introduce it to our friends there. Please be sure and drop by our pit area (Team 343) and say hello to them.

Wayne C.
04-23-2002, 10:04 PM
A resource for the German teams-

Last spring when Team 25 was doing a demo at the ACGNJ Trenton Computer Festival we made contact with a person associated with the Institute of German Industry. At the time I wrote them a letter to suggest they get some FIRST teams going since they tended to fund similar projects in Germany. I never heard back.

If you folks have a team actually forming in Germany who can follow up with them and be a little persistant I may have a name for you to go to for funding and engineering support. See me in the pits of Team 25 this weekend.

WC:cool:

mikefrei
04-24-2002, 01:08 AM
I'm an exchange student from Basel, Switzerland (about 20 minutes from the german border) all the way up here in alaska and I'm also interested in seeing how FIRST develops here in europe, and hopefully switzerland.

The first-virus is inevitable...

we also had a brazilian exchange student in our team, however he didn't go down to seattle for the regionals (which was especially sad as the brazilian team was there...by the way, anyone from the seattle regionals, we're team 628, HEXAGORE)

greets,
-Mike
Student on #628
Xerox Creativity Award for HEXAGORE

PsychoPhil
04-24-2002, 10:31 AM
Hey Mike, are you going down to Florida????

If yes, come and visit me in the pits of Team 343 some time (I'll be wearing a grren T-Shirt with Cowpants, you'll see...)

PsychoPhil
04-24-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Gil Huggins
It is with much pleasure that "Metal In Motion" will also bring to Orlando two exchange students from Germany. It is our hope that they too will help celebrate FIRST and introduce it to our friends there. Please be sure and drop by our pit area (Team 343) and say hello to them.

Loooooooooooool :-)

Well, I know that you guys have one German girl on your team and I guess the second german person you're reffering to is a gest staying with you from tema 885?? That would be me, lol..
But I can try to meet myself, maybe I have some luck....
lool, thanks again for taking me and Cate down to the nationals 343... C ya guys down there tonight

So long, Phil

PS: Only 4500 seconds left to go before I leave for the airport...

mikefrei
04-25-2002, 02:40 AM
nope, phil, we can't go down to the nationals :( we were elligable (since our team number is even) but at that time we didn't have the funds and in the regionals, we made it into the quarter finals but then lost :( and the design award doesn't allow us to go either, unfortunately...however I'm eager to read how you guys are going to do down there

PsychoPhil
04-25-2002, 09:07 AM
Hey Mike!

We're an odd team number (885) and didn't win any of the necessary award to qualify, so out team isn't going to the nats either...

But Team 343 was so nice to take us down here, so we're staying with them...

We just saw the einstein stage etc..

It's a blast down here, unbelievable....

I'll maybe try to post some photos from the nats on Chiefdelphi, so check back....

so long, Phil

GermanZod
04-26-2002, 07:26 AM
Hi there

My name is David and I was an exchange student in Oconomowoc, WI back in 1999. This was the first year our high school participated in the FIRST competition as team No 269. We had such an awesome time, words just can't describe it.

I was so thrilled by the competition that I tried to start a German team, too.

First off, I showed all the video documentation we had done to my class mates at school. They were in for it but the harder part of course is to get a sponsor for your team.

Luckily I live in Bochum which is right in the "Ruhrgebiet" (a district that is very industrial) with the car manufacturer Opel (part of GM) in my city.

So I collected all my videos, made a presentation and even got an appointment with the PR manager of Opel to show him what I got.

Unfurtunately I never heard from him again after the meething although he told me that he would contact me after talking to some leaders....

I don't want to stop your enthusiasm and your motivation but keep in mind that Germany's economy isn't doing too well and I bet you won't find a lot of companies (and I'm thinking about bigger ones that could most probably afford it in contrast to smaller companies) that are willing to have some engineers work for the competition and not for them... and to spend thousands of dollars (imagine... shipping, parts and whatsoever and also getting the whole team over to the US!!!).

If you still wanna try it (maybe we can get MORE (say like... 10) of us (that's exchange students who have participated in the FIRST competition) together) just let me know... maybe we can all talk to various companies and try to get one big team going (although I imagine that would probably be really hard logistically...).

I'm gonna start working for Porsche in September. So when I have established myself there I might try to get them to start a team!

We'll see... I hope we can get a German team going sometime in the future

dense
04-28-2002, 12:24 PM
hey there psychoPhil and 885!

This is team 907, our alliance did great!

Hope you can establish a team in Germany, perhaps have a european regional, then shipping wouldn't cost as much, oh yeah, shipping was prepaid by fedex! and I still have the forms, since i'm the captain, lol, i wonder if i can use them.

-shafi out *static*

Wetzel
04-28-2002, 01:15 PM
I wonder if FedEx will contine to prepay for teams once there are European and Brazillian regionals...

Anyways, look forward to more countrys joining first.
And not just the nationals, but the internationals. :D

Wetzel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My is that FIRST Flu infectious....

Daniel Schulze
04-28-2002, 01:37 PM
hey psychoPhil,
i spoke yesterday with mrs. cook, one of the coordinators in richmond, VA and she arranged the regional there and is also willing to help us making a regional in germany. i also contact the adress from the guy in germany i gave you. you can do this with adress wayne gave you. hopefully we get with this great support from everybody a few teams in germany going.

Daniel !!! I LOVE FIRST

PsychoPhil
04-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Wetzel
I wonder if FedEx will contine to prepay for teams once there are European and Brazillian regionals...

It will take a whole while till there will be a european regional. And this year FedEx would have paid for a german team to go to a regional and the nats. Your location doesn't matter....

so long, Phil

PsychoPhil
05-03-2002, 06:02 PM
This is just another try to get more nswers by putting the thread again to the beginning up top by posting this...

Manoel
05-03-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by PsychoPhil

And this year FedEx would have paid for a german team to go to a regional and the nats. Your location doesn't matter....
so long, Phil

Actually, they wouldn't. FedEx paid for shipping in the US, ie between competitions. The very expensive freight to the drayage site was handled by our generous sponsor, DHL Worldwide Express.
:)

SlaveOfChernobl
05-03-2002, 09:30 PM
hello everyone, i am jewish.

Trashed20
05-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SlaveOfChernobl
hello everyone, i am jewish.
I'm kinda wondering, what does this have to do with anything at all?

dense
05-03-2002, 11:19 PM
lol, so?

(yeah, that's what i was wondering as well)

David Kelly
05-03-2002, 11:31 PM
a picture from my website and my name is going to be in Germany's #1 newspaper in the country. :D they called me today at school and asked for my permission. they are doing a story on FIRST. once it is up, i'll post the link for everyone. i'm not joking about this either.

Jan Olligs
05-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Which "Top Newspaper" exactly do you mean? Peoples opoinios differ... Options are (among others) Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Welt am Sonntag, Süddeutsche Zeitung (and others).
Just a bit interested...

David Kelly
05-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jan Olligs
Which "Top Newspaper" exactly do you mean? Peoples opoinios differ... Options are (among others) Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Welt am Sonntag, Süddeutsche Zeitung (and others).
Just a bit interested...

the online paper is located here http://www.sueddeutsche.de/ and they said that they will be publishing this picture in the paper.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/OEP/first/regional/gallery/2002/large/BuckeyeH.jpg

hope it's gonna be a good story:cool:

Jan Olligs
05-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Nice picture....

Digo
05-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Last year the Gila Monsters (team 64) had a german exchange student called Cord. He traded shirts with me. When I asked somene else if he was going this year, they said no because he went back to germany.

Phil, I think you would be interested in contacting the Gila Monsters to ask for this guy's e-mail address.

----------------------------------------------------

Maybe one day ("many years from now") there will be a lot of Regionals in many countries, one National in each and one big World FIRST Robotics Championship. :cool:

----------------------------------------------------

One thing about using the forum: please use private msgs to ask something or to make a comment about subjects that don't have much to do with the thread's subject. :D :D

mikefrei
05-04-2002, 06:36 PM
@digo: if you're refering to the posts about the newspaper article, I think it's ok.

PsychoPhil
05-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Digo
Phil, I think you would be interested in contacting the Gila Monsters to ask for this guy's e-mail address.

Thx a bunch, I will try to contqct them right now....

so long, Phil

MITblondie06
05-20-2002, 09:45 PM
I'm headed to Denmark from the US next year as an exchange student and I'm going to try to start a FIRST team at the high school I'm going to. I don't find out what high school I'm going to for a couple weeks, so I can't do anything concrete yet, but if any of you have the email address of the person who is also planning to start a Danish team it would be a huge help! Also-- any helpful hints or suggestions about starting an international team would be great! (I already have Phil's and Digo's emails and plan to email them some questions when I'm not so tired and sunburned)
-christine

mikefrei
06-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Any updates from you guys, Phil or Ollig? (1 year later)

Nick Seidl
06-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Any updates from you guys, Phil or Ollig? (1 year later)

Sorry, no one on our team has heard from Jan Olligs since he left for Deutschland last summer.

unapiedra
03-10-2005, 10:05 PM
hey there psychoPhil and 885!
Hope you can establish a team in Germany, perhaps have a european regional, then shipping wouldn't cost as much, oh yeah, shipping was prepaid by fedex! and I still have the forms, since i'm the captain, lol, i wonder if i can use them.

-shafi out *static*

Hi! I am a german exchange student too.

This is my idea to the whole thing: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35678

please post any comments or send me an email: firsteurope@gmail.de

Denman
03-11-2005, 08:52 AM
yes i was about to say unapeidra is german and setting up a regional in europe maybe.
If anyone ever wants any help setting up teams in europe talk to us, we are in our 4th year of running