PDA

View Full Version : Joining & Opting out of Forums...

Joe Johnson
10-04-2001, 10:30 AM
How about this?

It would be nice if I could pulbish the idea that I am a regular reader of a forum or that I am a rare reader of a forum.

If this list was available on a forum by forum basis. Folks would know who is listening or who is not.

Just an idea

Joe J.

Joe Johnson
10-04-2001, 11:47 AM
Along with opting out, it would be nice to set various levels of what the board tells me about the activities on the forum:

-don't let me know anything about the forum
-tell me some limited things (e.g. if a post is especially active or well rated)
-tell me most things about it (e.g. tell me if something new happens unless it is a post by XXX)
-tell me everything, but still list me as "opted out"

The idea is to help us build sub-communities within the user community. We are doing that already, but it makes for a lot of clutter for folks.

Let me give an example: Most folks around the country have no interest at all in OCCRA, but we all have to wade through those posts when we find out what has happened in the last 24 hours or since we last logged in. It would be nice to opt-out of such forums.

What I REALLY want is to have all the cool stuff that Vbulliton gives to this site BUT to have the old feel of our old forums.

But... that is another message...

Joe J.

Brandon Martus
10-04-2001, 12:48 PM
this can, in a way, be accomplished by subscribing to all forums you want to pay attention to (even if its all but OCCRA)..

then you browse via your user control panel (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/usercp.php?s=)... although you have to view each forum separately, theres no one-big-list of new posts in subscribed forums.

(EDIT): I did search for a hack/addition that will allow this, its not made, so it will be a little while before i can either find one, or program one... the search process in vBulletin is very ... weird.

i havent messed with it too much, but i think its the same as hitting 'new posts' at the top of the main page.... except you see the ones in your subscribed forums.

i can work this into the system relatively easily if its not.

let me play around with it for a few.. and ill get back to you :)

p.s. :
You can get a cryptic view of what the thread is looking like by clicking on the envelope on the far left of the thread listing.
This shows all the subjects along the bottom, but it relies heavily on all of the people posting.. (some don't put a subject, and it
just defualts to Re: original subject)

more info on this thread (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165)

Carolyn Duncan
10-07-2001, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Joe Johnson
The idea is to help us build sub-communities within the user community. We are doing that already, but it makes for a lot of clutter for folks.
Joe J.
Not to start another war, but building sub communities in the chit chat forum lead to many people becoming unhappy with posts. It was one of the main reasons given by many people as to why the chit chat forum should be eliminated. They claimed it made it hard for them to post because it seemed like they would be ignored by the group replying to each other, and that they didn't feel comfortable just posting into a conversation.

Brandon Martus
11-08-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
this can, in a way, be accomplished by subscribing to all forums you want to pay attention to (even if its all but OCCRA)..

(EDIT): I did search for a hack/addition that will allow this, its not made, so it will be a little while before i can either find one, or program one... the search process in vBulletin is very ... weird.

i havent messed with it too much, but i think its the same as hitting 'new posts' at the top of the main page.... except you see the ones in your subscribed forums.

i can work this into the system relatively easily if its not.

let me play around with it for a few.. and ill get back to you :)

I did the subscribed-forums-new-posts
Heres the thread talking about it: its here (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1050)