PDA

View Full Version : Possible FRC game idea.....

divisionByZero0
04-14-2011, 01:46 AM
I have a possible FRC game design for anyone who comes across this thread:

Mirror Room:ahh: :ahh: :ahh:

<-rhL->>>>>>>>>>>>>>
---------------------------------------
r**...rs............m......m.........|.....bg....
...L...............m.....m.....m.....|...........
b**..bs............m.....m..........|....rg....
----------------------------------------
<-bhL->>>>>>>>>>>>>>

- field edge
.** basket area for final 20 second bonus time
.s alliance starting point
.g alliance light goal post
L on-field, inmoblie light source
.hL moveable, nonrotational light source controlled by human players
m rotatable mirrors
| markers to indicate autonomous recon area

There are 7 fully-rotatable mirrors, 2 goal posts (that the alliances score by reflecting beams of light onto them), 3 sources of light (1 fixed on field, and 2 controlled by human players), and a basket to put the mirrors in for bonus points. All robots start in to their corresponding area before the match, marked as (.s). In autonomous mode, robots must avoid the mirrors to get to the other side of the field to the recon area, the area bounded to the right marked from (|), WITHOUT BREAKING ANY MIRRORS. At this time, the light sources are inactive, and the rotation of the mirrors are fixed and parallel to each other. For every "n" robots of each alliance that made it to the recon area, adds "5^n" points to the alliance's score. When teleop. mode is triggered, human players and drivers comes into play. The light beams activates, and the robots are now allowed to rotate the mirrors, marked as (m), to reflect the beam of lights onto their alliances' goal posts, as marked as (.g). The field light source, marked as (L), is completly imobile and can not rotate. The direction of the light, relative to the orientation of the field's diagram (shown above), is pointing right. The human players' light source, marked as (.hL), is mobile and can slide across from the starting end of the field, up to the line of the autonomous's mode recon area; and these light sources also cannot rotate. The directions of those lights are pointing directly inwards towards the field. The score adds by 1 point for every second the alliances' goal posts are being shined by the lights, and the point rate is multiplied by the number of mirrors each beam reflects off from. During the last 20 seconds of the match, robots must carefully carry the mirrors into their alliances' mirror baskets, marked as (.**), WITHOUT BREAKING THE MIRRORS. Each mirror in the baskets are worth 50 points each, and also triples the rate of points earned from the goal posts during the 20 seconds. Points will be deducted IF THERE ARE ANY DAMAGE(S) ON THE MIRRORS, the amount deducted will depend on the amount/type(s) of damage done to the mirrors.

A few things I would like to point out...

::rtm::
* Both human player's light sources and the center field light source have all different light wavelengths. Easy enough to determine with light beam came from what source.
* The human player's light sources are on tracks on the outside edges of the field.
* Please, NO LASERPOINTERS!!!!!!!
* Fog-makers and a dark-lighted field environment are perfered for the alliances to see the beams of lights to score. Not too dark for anyone to not see the robots on the field, or mess up the robots' vision; but still dark and noticable enough to see the light beams emitted from the light sources.

Please let me know of any typo's (if there are any).
You don't have to ask for any special copyrights/patent from
me for this idea, since this game is intended to be a FRC game for FIRST.

I thank you all for reading this post....;)

mwtidd
04-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks like someone's been playing too much zelda ;)

i love the idea, but rotating mirrors may be a little too complex to follow.

May I offer a different design for the autonomous that is easier for spectators to follow.

Place 2 mirrors in the center of the field which on on rails. Autonomous starts off in a tug of war, where the robots run out to grab the mirrors, and pull them to score.

Then continuing the reflection game in the end game, take a "zelda-esque" aspect, where robots have mirrors on them who work together to reflect a lazer to hit a target.

I like the name reflexion :)
but that means the game would require reflexes from the human players.

I think doing something like 04 where if you won the tug of war it would give you early access to the game pieces.

heres drawings of the top and side view of the field

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5623137858_ab64283d8f.jpg

divisionByZero0
04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Mirrors on the robots does sound easier than having the mirrors laid out on the field. Great idea.:D :D :D

Robert Cawthon
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I might also suggest polished stainless steel mirrors so that there won't be broken glass all over the field. :rolleyes:

Tetraman
05-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Reminds me of the "Makes a Rainbow" episode of The Magic School Bus where the kids were zapped into Ms. Frizzle's color pinball machine that used reflecting mirrors to bounce beams of light into goals.