PDA

View Full Version : Future Minibot Functions

IKE
06-29-2011, 08:07 AM
This thread is meant to be a brainstorming session for possible things a "minibot" could do in future games. Assume a similar set of rules with regards to construction as this year and brainstorm some tasks.

For instance, this years task was:
Deploy to a pole, climb the pole, trip a sensor, and then be "easily" removeable. Points awarded by a "race" to trip the sensor.

The ideas don't have to necessarily involve a race element.

Ideally the ideas could be implemented with a similar "logic" requirement as this year (you were allowed to use the brick, but a couple of switches worked just fine too). I believe rules stated a couple of limit switches, a household Light-switch, and the Tetrix switch.

Remeber, servos were allowed though I personally didn't see a minibot that used them (at least one at a competition).

rsisk
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
How about a minibot that is released from the main robot into an area that cannot be reached by the main robot. It could then release bonus game pieces onto the field to be scored by either team. Minibot could be autonomous or remained tethered to the main robot.

The area I am envisioning would be a small (clear?) tunnel the minibot would travel through to reach a switch or lever which would release the other game pieces.

By allowing all teams to score with the bonus game pieces provides strategic options of when to release the bonus pieces.

Andrew Lawrence
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I'd like to see minibots act as an assistance to an alliance by changing the game field in some way. Similarly to when some robots reset the bridge/teeter totter thing in Diabolical Dynamics. Like, you could have a minibot control game piece release, or releasing "special" game pieces not found on the field.

Frenchie461
06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
what about having a pole on either side of the field running parallel to the long side. minibots have to be deployed, and their distance from the driver station is how many points they're worth. Teams could apply this year, but it would be different enough that the minibot couldn't be cloned and still be successful.

Chris is me
06-29-2011, 02:03 PM
They could shoot themselves into a trash compactor, destroying themselves every round. Not too different than this year, actually.

IKE
06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
They could shoot themselves into a trash compactor, destroying themselves every round. Not too different than this year, actually.

While funny, not terribly constructive. There are plenty of other threads bemoaning minibots.

Clinton Bolinger
06-29-2011, 04:33 PM
What about having the reverse of this years minibots, where the human play sends the minibot out to the field (maybe on a track or pole) and the robot has to obtain the minibot. If you obtain your minibot or an alliance members minibot you get bounce point (that are equal).

I also like the idea of minibots releasing or activating field elements for the other robots to interact with.

-Clinton-

IKE
06-29-2011, 04:57 PM
I think a lot of previous "bonus" and/or Automode elements could/would work well for minibots.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I should probably look at what OCCRA used their minibots (VEX based) for the last few years...

kramarczyk
06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I like a spin off of Richard's minibot in a tube idea. Have the tube be a lever that opens a gate releasing game pieces, but set it up so that the mass of the minibot creates the torque needed to open the gate. Heavier minibots would open the gate further as would minibots closer to the end of the tube. Minibots would be able to run out the end of the tube, so some smarts would be required to go just... far... enough. Teams would be able to use the minibot to control the rate at which game pieces are released if they really engineer the minibot and include some intelligence. A really enterprising team might have their minibot go back and forth, opening and closing the gate during the match, possibly with a period that matches their scoring cycle.

A tube on a pivot controlling a gate. Do we allow a string or not?

Billfred
06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
What about having the reverse of this years minibots, where the human play sends the minibot out to the field (maybe on a track or pole) and the robot has to obtain the minibot. If you obtain your minibot or an alliance members minibot you get bounce point (that are equal).

Better still: the robot has to both deploy the minibot and retrieve it to receive the full benefit. Do you burn a lot of prime robot real estate (especially in multi-object games like Lunacy or Aim High) and put a big Tupperware container to catch your minibot on the end of the run, or do you build some elegant capture system?

Andrew Lawrence
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
My team suggested having a "minibot lane" similar to a bike lane on a street. It could be where minibots are deployed and then do something on the lane, such as control a game piece or something of the like. Also, one of our team members suggested that in this lane minibots would circle the perimeter of the playing field and get points for each lap, like Overdrive.

MCahoon
06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Something similar to this thread, where host bot has to insert minibot into entry port of a tube during autonomous mode. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=95847

Autonomous minibot performs function while the host bot is teleoperated during regular match play.

Possibly the minibot climbing to different goal levels, following a line or navigating a maze to a release switch for a game element or a means of scoring during the bonus period. The minibot course would be open from the top so cameras built into the field could show progress for spectators, and for retrieving the minibot after the match.

IKE
07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Imagine a Points clock, similar to a chess clock that could rack up points for either alliance. Points begin when your side is activated, and switch when the other alliance activates their side. Use the minibots to activate something. This would bring an interesting dynamic because there are advantages related to being the first to score, but also advantages related to being the last to score. Allow each team to either have 1 or 2 minibots on board which would mean 3-6 minibots per alliance.

This would be in conjunction to some other scoring task.

Peter Matteson
07-07-2011, 07:00 AM
While funny, not terribly constructive. There are plenty of other threads bemoaning minibots.

So I guess you wouldn't be for my setting the Einstien on fire and causing the head refferee to fo and get a fire extinguisher between matches....

Oh wait, we did that too.

Seriously though I like the idea of a 2004ish game piece release were if you minibot hits a switch you get your game pieces in auton but if you don't you have to wait 45 seconds to get them.

GlassPrison142
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
I really hope there isn't a hockey game next year. I don't really like games that would entail breakaway robots being built again
I mean I feel like people would recycle their old breakaway robots for this game

EricH
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I really hope there isn't a hockey game next year. I don't really like games that would entail breakaway robots being built again
I mean I feel like people would recycle their old breakaway robots for this game
Breakaway? Soccer robots don't really play hockey.

Lunacy, on the other hand...

I think the best thing for a minibot is something like this last year, except that triggering the tower, instead of scoring points, releases some game object worth bonus points. Each time the minibot hits the target, the object is released.

Brandon Zalinsky
08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I like the releasing game pieces idea, but I think it would be funny to appease the water game crowd and have miniboats that race through a pool or something.

davidthefat
09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
What about curling? The minibots are the curling iron and at the end of the match, they deploy on the ground or on a special elevated platform and march their way to the target. The teams are given points based upon location of the minibot relative to the target, not a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rth system. Only issue might be the judging; it is not as objective as this year's was.

Garrett.d.w
09-05-2011, 07:45 PM
One thing that I have not heard yet is sumo bots...on a larger scale.
The main bot would deploy its minibot into a ring at the beginning of the match. The minibots would then attempt to push each other out of the ring. Last alliance still in the ring, wins a bonus per minibot still standing (1 out of 3, 2 out of 3, etc).
The real art to this is distinguishing friend from foe. A minibot able to do this would be very valuable.

Nemo
09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
While it would be a big pain for FTA's everywhere, teleoperated minibots would be pretty cool.

Daniel_LaFleur
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
While it would be a big pain for FTA's everywhere, teleoperated minibots would be pretty cool.

I'd rather see minibots controlled by the onboard software of the main bot :eek: (IE autonomous would be in controlling the minibot)

Jared Russell
09-09-2011, 06:17 PM
What about curling? The minibots are the curling iron and at the end of the match, they deploy on the ground or on a special elevated platform and march their way to the target. The teams are given points based upon location of the minibot relative to the target, not a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rth system. Only issue might be the judging; it is not as objective as this year's was.

That's actually a really interesting idea.

Rangel
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM

I think we have the new human player position!

Well I also like the idea of mini-bots dropping bonus game pieces. What would be cool is to have them do some kind of maze and the mini-bot who completes it first gets extra bonus pieces.

Nemo
09-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I've been joking to some team members that this year's minibots are going to be deployed onto the other alliance's robots. Once they're on, they climb around and try to pull wires out. Then the alliance stations would have a pit area where a disabled robot can be pushed so human players can try to bring it back to life. My other joke is that the minibots will be mini battle bots that have a miniature no holds barred free for all tournament in a special arena area of the field. I'm sorry, but either of those would be hilarious.

Here's a real idea that is a development on the previously suggested concept of having the minibots go into a place too small for the hostbot to access. If you have a game that doesn't allow extending beyond the frame perimeter, you could basically make the minibot your manipulator that goes in to fetch or score a small game piece.

Robert Cawthon
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Actually, we thought about this before last year's game, in the Rumor Forum. Note that this was before the game was disclosed and before the minibot inclusion was announced. One possibility was that the remote bot could be tethered to the main bot like the early years in FIRST so that there would not be an issue with another controller or additional work for the FTA.

Just a thought. :)

wilhitern1
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
What if the minibot had to plug its self into a field piece. It could have a USB flash drive on board that had a file on it with the team's number. It would have to find the USB port on the field piece and plug the USB in. The field piece reads the number and determines points by the time it took and of course who gets the points by the file number. Seems simple but would be real tricky.

Ross3098
10-12-2011, 01:08 PM
My only problem with mini bots reaching a point first or resembling a "race" is that it would bring back the problems from this year. This being that nearly the entire season was devoted to making the minibot faster and faster.

Maybe a task indicated above like just having the minibot reach the location awards the same bonus game pieces/points. Kind of like the way OCCRA is with the smaller VEX robots assisting the larger robots by moving game pieces to the field or scoring game pieces in smaller vex goals.

Just my two cents :/.

tsaksa
11-11-2011, 08:38 AM
How about a minibot that had to complete some simple task but with all drive power coming from limited mechanical source such as a spring or per-compressed piston. It might have some limited electrical components and switches, but the electrical portion could not directly drive the bot. You would need to complete some task such as climb, navigate a simple maze, run a short obstacle course including WATER hazards, etc. But all actions would need to be completed on a very limited energy budget.

tsaksa
11-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Here is another idea to perhaps add more visual interest. The minibot gets built like a mars rover, inside a deployment shell. Perhaps the minibot is inside a plastic sphere, or a regular solid, made of two hemispheres held together by a latch that is controlled by the minibot.

The main robot deploys the minibot into a chute, and the minibot rolls down a short course with a few bumps and turns. This portion could be as complex as desired to add interest ala Rube goldberg. But when the minibot reaches the end, it needs to recognize that it has reached the end and releases the latch on the shell. It then must climb free of the shells and navigate some distance away from the shell to demonstrate a successful deployment, perhaps on an irregular surface or from the bottom of an artificial crater.