View Single Post
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 09:04 AM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: ZebROS 1.0: ROS for FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad House View Post
Regarding the starting scripts, was the robotCommand script just not running? I'd be interested in helping to figure that issue out, as it might help make the WPILib startup simpler as well.
I will let the students respond to this but from an old-linux-dude standpoint, what I'd REALLY like to see is a simplified startup process that is basically a "FRC Teams using non-traditional stuff please put your startup scripts here"-Folder. Where each script is a name like 0-startMeFirst.sh, 1-startMeSecond.sh, 2-startMeThird.sh. And then those are all executed in the appropriate order with each returning a success/failure. This is similar to how init worked and granted, systemd has replaced it so maybe systemd is an option. Basically, I'd like the roboRIO to behave more like the linux system that it is(n't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesmich View Post
Our team got ROS up and running this past year and then for various reasons scraped it. One of the main reasons is the closed loop feedback and processing that the talons provide. We could not leverage that as intended. So until another day. Thanks for the update. You work is interesting and helpful.
I remember you contacting us a couple times early this season and getting an email forwarded from Omar I think. As I recall, you were using the ROS for LabVIEW implementation from Tufts. We have moved 100% away from LabVIEW at this point as we also found it a hindrance to making ROS behave like ROS. Hopefully our paper helps you out with getting it working down the road.
Clarke's Laws