AKA: Dominic Doxen
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2010
cadmanDOM910 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Smallest public school to have a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundrio View Post
My teams school is among the smallest (around 500 students max, and graduating class is 80-100 (i think we had 76 this year but that's about as low as it gets). This was our first year and we had about 20-27 kids on the FIRST team from all different grade levels. during the build season we often felt we were at a disadvantage because teams in larger schools/cities had access to designated machine shops and practice areas, while we created a makeshift workshop in our head mentors classroom, and tested in our school library. we have great support from our school principle, although the lack of a metal shop is not something we can fix at the moment. I'm just curious if other teams from small schools have the same problems as us?
My school has slightly less students than yours (400 to max 450) with 26 on the team. Because of this we are actually at an advantage. Because there are less students in a school designed to hold approximately only 1500 students, the robotics team actually gets more space and room. We currently have 3.5 rooms (machine room, "build room", cad/business/graphics/website room, storage room is the .5) and a practice area that isn't permanent but we can use for a few weeks when needed. We also have good support from our principal and certain staff members. So, in our case we aren't really having similar problems, and I'm sure others would tell you different, but I figured I'd tell my teams story anyway.