View Single Post
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
MIssin' the MItten
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0395 (2 Train Robotics), FRC #4640 (Metallic Panthers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tips for first-year programmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Rapture View Post
I would suggest not using tank drive, but rather using a split-thumbstick arcade mode (with one thumbstick being forward movement and a separate one for turning) or one thumbstick for turning and the triggers for throttle. Tank drive is difficult to drive straight in the best of circumstances, but the implicit inaccuracy of the thumbsticks compared to joysticks makes it even more difficult.

Also keep in mind that the Xbox controller has a large deadzone in the middle of the stick that needs to be accounted for, otherwise it won't center properly. The logitech controllers and joysticks don't seem to have that issue so much.
If that works better, that's fine. We used tank drive, so that was the first thought I had. I find that if most of your time is spent using the left stick and buttons, the XBox setup works better, but swapping the left stick and d-pad is more intuitive when both thumbs are on the joysticks. Just personal preference.
2012 Championship Newton Division FinalistsóThanks 330 and 639 for the Full Court Press! | 2013 Kettering University District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Great Lakes Bay Region District WinnersóThanks 288, 4819, and 5166! | 2014 Waterford District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Michigan FRC State Championship Chairman's Award WinnersóCongratulations 33 and 503! | 2015 Center Line District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2015 Lansing District WinnersóThanks 314 and 1684! | 2015 FIRST in Michigan District Championship Chairman's Award WinnersóCongratulations 503 and 2137!